Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What specs are you planning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do let us know when you have found financing.

Likewise - anyone who comes up with a good option, even one where finance and insurance is combined, please provide some details here.

HSBC and Hang Seng can give you loans, but they won't use the car to secure the loan. I need a loan where the car is guarantee for the loan, as there is no way I can borrow 3/4M HKD without using the car for securing the loan.

I've got charging in my home garage, 3x150A available. I have a Tesla Roadster and 70A HPC on the wall.

For Model S (my wife), I am thinking:

60kWh battery (Roadster is 53kWh, but model S is heavier, and range is easily adequate for HK. Performance also outshines her current Nissan 8 seater)
Pano roof (we live in clearwater bay, and sunshine is nice)
19" wheels (terrified of curb damage, and quite frankly think they look nicer)
Black standard paint
Tan interior
Tech package (GPS, folding wing mirrors, memory seats)
Parking sensors (big car, small parking spaces)
Air Suspension (for steep driveway access)
No supercharger (so long as it is an option to add it later on resale)
Undecided on dual vs signal chargers (will depend on whether this could be added later as an option - I think not)
HPWC on the wall (it is half what the HPC for roadster cost, and so much neater)
Would have liked the kids seats in the back (I have a bunch of kids), and still fighting for those

But, price-wise I will probably have to hold off confirming that order until the 26th (when FRT situation should be known).

I've got charging in my home garage, 3x150A available. I have a Tesla Roadster and 70A HPC on the wall.

60kWh battery (Roadster is 53kWh, but model S is heavier, and range is easily adequate for HK. Performance also outshines her current Nissan 8 seater)
Black standard paint
Tan interior
Undecided on dual vs signal chargers (will depend on whether this could be added later as an option - I think not)
HPWC on the wall (it is half what the HPC for roadster cost, and so much neater)
Would have liked the kids seats in the back (I have a bunch of kids), and still fighting for those

But, price-wise I will probably have to hold off confirming that order until the 26th (when FRT situation should be known).

But Mark, can you hold it till 26th? Because in my email which you should have seen,
"Your Model S order will be considered confirmed on 2/23/2014 for the purposes of factory planning and your deposit will become non-refundable. If you’re happy with your design, there’s no action needed. If you would like to make changes, please do so before 2/23/2014."

But Mark, can you hold it till 26th? Because in my email which you should have seen,
"Your Model S order will be considered confirmed on 2/23/2014 for the purposes of factory planning and your deposit will become non-refundable. If you’re happy with your design, there’s no action needed. If you would like to make changes, please do so before 2/23/2014."

I think that is because you confirmed it. They gave you N days to back out from your confirmation.

I haven't confirmed anything yet.

Just Finished with the design studio, and found out I am paying about 10k more for a P85+ Signature compare with a non Sig P85+ with the same option. Nice!

Oh yes! Before I was wondering if my Sig justifies USD$10k more. Now it seems only HK$10k difference. Sweet!! (I just go max out except subzero package btw)

Do let us know when you have found financing.

I'm talking to Hitachi Finance now. They do car financing it seems, and I have a mortgage with them already. They will keep the registration certificate of the car until the loan is paid off, which is similar to the way my mortgage is. I'm looking for 100% finance! but since I've already paid 39,000 HKD I guess it's more like 95% really.

Last edited:
Anyone getting the performance plus version? I'm having difficulty deciding, and it's $50,400 after all, not to mention it requires certain options to go with it, which makes the overall price goes up even more. How does it affect the handling and steering, if any? Any other pros and cons? Thanks.

Anyone getting the performance plus version? I'm having difficulty deciding, and it's $50,400 after all, not to mention it requires certain options to go with it, which makes the overall price goes up even more. How does it affect the handling and steering, if any? Any other pros and cons? Thanks.

Do a quick search and you'll find plenty discussions in the forum. Apparently "totally worth it".

Someone even retrofit upgrade from P85 to P85+

Hi Mark, I also wanna install HPWC in my brother's garage, what do I need to prepare to install it (do I need to apply another power meter with the power company, Hongkong Electric Company?) I read some info. on the forum, seems that I need to have 100amp supply in order to use the HPWC @ 80 amp.

Black standard paint
Tan interior

Hi Mark, I also wanna install HPWC in my brother's garage, what do I need to prepare to install it (do I need to apply another power meter with the power company, Hongkong Electric Company?) I read some info. on the forum, seems that I need to have 100amp supply in order to use the HPWC @ 80 amp.

I think in HK the lines are rated for the continuous current draw, but I am not an electrician (but I have been electrocuted plenty of times) so don't quote me. In USA, they are not - hence the different rating (20%?).

I have 2x90Amp sitting idle (1x90Amp is used for my Roadster HPC), which is why it is a no-brainer for me.

They will not normally give you a separate power meter (unless you beg for it, and can show it is a separate user). One thing to be careful of is that anything above 100A requires a 5-yearly safety inspection hassle. It can also be messy because installation depends on the existing wiring.

My arrangement, if it helps is:
Supply is 3x200A 220V
Meter and main fuse is 3x150A
Bus-bar split 3x60A (to existing house 60A MCB) and 3x90A (to garage 100A MCB)

I did it that way not to have to mess with house MCB (3x60A) - upgrading that would have been a hassle.

The Roadster HPCs could actually be supplied with different ratings (40A, 50A, 60A, 70A, etc) depending of firmware. I'm wondering if the Model S HPWC is the same? It might be worth asking if you can buy a 40A HPWC (which would be much easier to install on the normal domestic 3x60A here in HK). 40A would be fine for single-charger use.

Good to see your arrangement, very helpful. Since my brother still haven't renovate his house, it is quite flexible and I can ask his contractor/electrician to do exactly what I need for the HPWC. I want to have the highest power in his garage so I really want to use 80A with the dual chargers (so that I can get the most power in the shortest time in his home), instead of 40A.

So you think in HK, 80A is good for supplying 80A with the HPWC (instead of 100A, )?

You need an adapter in order to use your Roadster HPWC to charge the Model S (cost US$650) :
Roadster High Power Wall Connector to Model S Adapter
http://shop.teslamotors.com/products/roadster-hpc-to-model-s-adapter

Some info I found for Model S HPWC:

A single page description of the HPWC
Installation Guide of the HPWC

I think in HK the lines are rated for the continuous current draw, but I am not an electrician (but I have been electrocuted plenty of times) so don't quote me. In USA, they are not - hence the different rating (20%?).

I have 2x90Amp sitting idle (1x90Amp is used for my Roadster HPC), which is why it is a no-brainer for me.

They will not normally give you a separate power meter (unless you beg for it, and can show it is a separate user). One thing to be careful of is that anything above 100A requires a 5-yearly safety inspection hassle. It can also be messy because installation depends on the existing wiring.

My arrangement, if it helps is:
Supply is 3x200A 220V
Meter and main fuse is 3x150A
Bus-bar split 3x60A (to existing house 60A MCB) and 3x90A (to garage 100A MCB)

I did it that way not to have to mess with house MCB (3x60A) - upgrading that would have been a hassle.

The Roadster HPCs could actually be supplied with different ratings (40A, 50A, 60A, 70A, etc) depending of firmware. I'm wondering if the Model S HPWC is the same? It might be worth asking if you can buy a 40A HPWC (which would be much easier to install on the normal domestic 3x60A here in HK). 40A would be fine for single-charger use.

So you think in HK, 80A is good for supplying 80A with the HPWC (instead of 100A, )?

You need an adapter in order to use your Roadster HPWC to charge the Model S (cost US$650) :

I'm not an electrician, but that was what I was told. Circuits here are supposedly rated for continuous.

I'm thinking of just getting a model S HPWC as we'll. Then I won't need to worry about switching cars being charged.

The HPWC has DIP switches inside that can be set to match the capacity of the circuit breaker supplying the unit. You can set from 40A to 100A in 10A increments. See Page 12 of the Installation Guide linked by sonywong above.

Good to see your arrangement, very helpful. Since my brother still haven't renovate his house, it is quite flexible and I can ask his contractor/electrician to do exactly what I need for the HPWC. I want to have the highest power in his garage so I really want to use 80A with the dual chargers (so that I can get the most power in the shortest time in his home), instead of 40A.

Some info I found for Model S HPWC:

A single page description of the HPWC
Installation Guide of the HPWC

these photos are very good reference for HPWC installation:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/efusco/sets/72157631505333436

Interesting to see a generator charging failure.
Most inexpensive generators give relatively poor power quality, which Tesla doesn't like. There is a long thread about it here. The short story is that Inverter-type generators generally work and there is an issue about how to properly handle the ground when there is no earth ground provided by a building's electrical system.