Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What steering mode do you use?

• Comfort

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • Standard

Votes: 82 39.6%
  • Sport

Votes: 108 52.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been very happy with standard. FWIW, I don't do expressway driving. Standard has enough stiffness to be easy to maneuver around tight curves through narrow city streets, but doesn't suffer from the "overresponsiveness" which I associate with other vehicles' sport suspensions -- that is to say, the car doesn't move when my arm is jogged by my passenger or when I look over my shoulder.

I don't have the Model S yet, but during my test drives it was definitely sport mode!

Comfort and standard are way to soft and don't give you feedback, feels like you are floating. Sport it is.

don't give you feedback?
I haven't found that to be true. I feel like in any of the 3 modes, you can feel if the car is getting pulled by wind, pavement, or torque steer. I just feel that it's more effortless to correct the pull in Comfort mode.

feels like you are floating?
I find that true in all 3 modes. Under hard acceleration, the car feels a bit unsettled no matter which steering mode I choose. Again, it's more effortless to correct in Comfort mode than in Sport mode.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been very happy with standard. FWIW, I don't do expressway driving. Standard has enough stiffness to be easy to maneuver around tight curves through narrow city streets, but doesn't suffer from the "overresponsiveness" which I associate with other vehicles' sport suspensions -- that is to say, the car doesn't move when my arm is jogged by my passenger or when I look over my shoulder.

enough stiffness to maneuver around tight curves?
Isn't it easier to turn the steering wheel through tight curves if the steering wheel is not stiff?

enough stiffness to maneuver around tight curves?
Isn't it easier to turn the steering wheel through tight curves if the steering wheel is not stiff?

It's easier to turn the steering wheel, but there's more *slop*. I'm talking about narrow roads with lots of obstructions on both sides; in Lincoln Town Car type cars with really mellow "comfort" steering, it's hard to get enough control to maintain lane position.

It's easier to turn the steering wheel, but there's more *slop*. I'm talking about narrow roads with lots of obstructions on both sides; in Lincoln Town Car type cars with really mellow "comfort" steering, it's hard to get enough control to maintain lane position.

In Model S, I don't notice more "slop" in comfort than sport mode. In all cases, I feel like turning the steering wheel turns the tires an exact and appropriate amount. I have no problem driving fast through narrow areas with jersey barriers up for construction in comfort mode [assuming there are no construction workers or cops around].
In all cases, I feel like the car can be unsettled under full throttle, and I would certainly not want to stomp the go pedal in a tight corridor.

I've never tried to drive a Lincoln Town Car as a race car, so I don't know about them. :)

Try comfort for a day and let me know if you think the car is actually harder to control in comfort mode.

Sport steering feels the best to me. I wish there wasn't the little dead spot at the top/center of the steering wheel (I don't know if that is the "slop" others have mentioned, but it doesn't seem to change by steering mode), and that the response was more immediate. Fewer turns to lock would be good too.

It is easy for this car to feel unsettled in corners or under high acceleration. I don't remember that from my brief test drives, but it is somewhat disappointing. There is a turn near my house that I could take at 30mph easily with my old ****** car, and the Model S feels unsafe at that speed with sport and standard steering. Comfort seems to be better for some reason. Sport can feel unnaturally jerky sometimes.

Coming from an RS4 and X5M mine stays on sport all the time and that is still way too loosy goosy for me. I hope that we will see a firmer setting with future updates...

CANNOT AGREE MORE coming from a S4 and 335i...

Seriously lack of feedback and sports mode still WAYYY loose...

TESLA we need a MUCH stiffer maybe "TRACK" mode even for my daily driving