TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What super automatic espresso machine do you use?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by yobigd20, Aug 24, 2013.

1. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Crisis mode. No morning coffee. My Solis Palazzo bit the dust finally I think. Keeps tripping the gfci. im guessing the boiler or circuitry is shot. I've had this for many years. I got a good deal on it if I recall. I think it retailed for over $1100 but I picked it up on EBay for $375. It's really been a pain to maintain all these years, and I have been the only one in my family that knows how to use it (apparently everyone else is too dumb to realize the difference between a blinking light and a solid one) but I also partly blame that on a terrible UI and AWFUL documentation. I posted a pic of that below. I could figure it out I guess partly bc I'm an engineer and I deal with bad UIs and little or no and badly written documentation on a daily basis.

Anywho I'm getting off topic and want to get feedback on what everyone else is using these days. I see lots of nice high end machines from Jura, Saeco, DeLonghi, etc. however I'm not looking to drop more than a grand. It's coffee. Not a jet ski or something else that justifies that kind of pricing. Any opinions? Looking to buy online somewhere quickly. I'm not a happy camper without caffeine running through my blood. You don't want to see how grumpy I can really get, lol.

uteryrur.jpg

u4uravug.jpg

2. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

I just got this one a couple weeks ago: Amazon.com: Jura Ena Micro 1: Kitchen Dining

I never had an espresso machine before, so I'm far from a connoisseur, but I like it. Easy to use, minimal cleaning and maintenance. No milk frother attached, though.

3. clmason

clmason Member

Long time fan of Nespresso. Great quality and simple enough for a 4 year old to use.

4. yobigd20

hah, looks like it has 3 buttons - small, medium, and large. i wonder if that's simple enough for my wife to figure out!

BTW I've done the Tassimo and Keurig. They might looks cheap up front, but they are a FORTUNE to maintain. $150 for the machine, $200/month in cups. No thanks!!! lol. I'd rather spend $1000 up front and then $45 every 3 months for a 5lb bag of beans. Much cheaper! Funny how that works...

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

6. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Pretty happy with my jura impressa z7 ...
    Great coffee, espresso. Lattes cappuccino etc.

7. RDoc

RDoc S85D

We've had a Saeco Taela Giro for about 3 years and like it. It makes really excellent coffee, but does have some design issues, the water tank leaks and the coffee bean holder is too flat to feed without help.

8. gnelson

gnelson Member

This is really simple to use and the pressure is sufficient for a good crema:

The DeLonghi EN520 Nespresso Lattissima Capsule Espresso/Cappuccino Machine allows you to choose your favorite drink (cappuccino, latte macchiato, espresso-coffee, long coffee or hot milk) in a simple intuitive way with illuminated controls. No more mess or measuring with this easy-to-use coffee capsule system. Simply load the capsule into the machine and push the button. Nespresso’s patented extraction system facilitates the ideal flow of water through the ground coffee and the capsules are automatically ejected into a holding tank after the brew is completed. The patented IFD system includes a milk container for cappuccino or latte macchiato. The amounts of frothed/steamed milk and coffee are adjustable. It also includes a unique automatic cleaning function with the easy push of a button. The entire container is detachable, so it can easily be placed in the refrigerator. A convenient welcome kit with Nespresso capsules is included so you can enjoy delicious drinks

9. yobigd20

#9 yobigd20, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    LOL I said I didn't want to spend more than a grand! That is $3200...funny you mention though bc after researching I decided to go with a Jura but then the question was which model and how can I get it cheap....

that being said, I just snagged a JURA IMPRESSA XS90 One Touch off of ebay for $759. This baby retails for $2600 HAHAH SuperDuper coffee time for me!! "office model" lol well I drink so much coffee its probably as much as an office anyway. this things huge! Really it's a office version of the S9 , but all the S9's were going for $1800-2200, but these in on there at a fraction of that price.

I'll be swimming in coffee again by the end of the week....sweeeet

- - - Updated - - -

oh yeah, and apparently unbeknownst to me I had $60 sitting in my paypal account (musta been like that for a few years), so as far as I'm concerned it only cost me $699. Can't beat that. Wife's probably gonna kill me on the size of it though, dunno where I'm gonna put it. I doubt it'll fit under the kitchen cabinets, especially with the hopper. Probably just plop it on my desk right next to my computer HAHA

10. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Does it have brass wings? All true espresso machines have them. :biggrin:

11. gnelson

gnelson Member

The really authentic ones also have manual pumps!

12. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I had a Capresso 1300 for years, used daily. It finally needed more repairs than I was willing to deal with, so replaced with a Gaggia Academia (a bit more than you may want to spend). I did a ton of research before I purchased, and I love this machine. It couldn't be simpler to operate.

13. yobigd20

why yes, yes it does.

brasswings.jpg

14. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

I had a Jura Capresso. It was the $1999 one, not the $1399 one.

I am not trying to brag because someone got it in the divorce so I have not seen it in five plus years.

Guess which one I miss.

15. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

LOL. Yeah, forgot how much it cost! But worth it. (I think about how quickly it paid for itself by not getting coffee at DD or SB or whatever, especially for latte's which I do all the time (cold and hot)) It's big, and when I have to add water or coffee, I have to slide it out as the cabinets are in the way but otherwise it's fine.

Plus it dishes out some mean coffee and espresso. Way better than just about anywhere else you'd buy a cup.

Good deal on the XS90!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, plus the place I bought it from will service/replace it lifetime, for no additional cost (I think that was at Sur la Table). Been working flawlessly for several years now.

16. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

Siemens TK58001.

It has only one single flaw (as do most other coffee machines) - it can only contain one type of beans at a time. I like espresso, the wife drinks coffee. Gotta choose one and stick to it for a while.

Anyway, hands down. Best machine ive had. And so easy to use, so many options and ut looks good.

Its a 2-click coffee cup for the first one, then they just Keep coming at a push.

I think we paid nearly a grand In Norway a couple years back - seen them (newer revision) down to $5-600 lately.

17. strider

strider Active Member

We have XS90's at my work and they are superb. Nice find!

18. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Excellent - you're all set then.

BTW, we get our coffee by mail from these guys: Armeno, Sumatra Mandheling, half French, half Italian roast.

19. yobigd20

well the Solis has a bypass, as does the Jura and most other automatic coffee makers. While yes, they do only hold one type of bean, that does mean if someone wants decaf or something you can use the bypass (typically its for ground coffee though, so not as fresh). As far as espresso vs coffee...that's one thing I never really understood. AFAIK coffee beans are coffee beans in the sense that there isn't really an 'espresso' coffee bean (even though some have it labeled as espresso), but rather how fine the beans are ground and the amount of ground the water passes through that makes a "strong espresso". in other words, with these super automatic coffee makers, they have the ability to have presets, one could be 'espresso' which has more grounds and at finer ground setting and less water passing through (hence making it 'more caffeine per unit volume', aka strong), and the other 'coffee' which is more course ground setting, less ground, and more water (not as strong). same beans in either case though.

actually now I just read this, per wikipedia:

fun facts for the day http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso

- - - Updated - - -

yeah and this is for my house, HAHA. damn I do spoil myself sometimes. what was that last thing I treated myself to? Oh yeah, a P85. once again I tell the wife about the new coffee maker AFTER I actually bought it. "better to ask for forgiveness then for permission!" my motto LOL

20. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

YBD,
    Awesome thread!!!
    We have used the living bageesus out of Capresso machines for the last 15 years and given many as gifts to friends and family. They refirb them quickly for reasonable money although their initial build quality has subsided over the years.

I love the other suggestions as our current machine is nearing its end of life.
    Thanks!

On a related topic, we use Illy beans. Some of the shops have better tasting espresso but I've found mere mortals can not order the beans. Does anyone have suggestions for bulk (20lbs.. we drink a lot of coffee around here) bean supply for good quality coffee?