Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What super charging rate do you get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Car, 2017 facelift Model S 75 (unlocked from 60) with 50,000 miles on it. I got it at 35,000 miles

Things I (think I) know
  • The Superchargers at rated at 130KW/h or better, they consist of 4 chargers in a stack, on your own you get all of them, when you someone joins you lose a charger, then as you increase your charge and lower the rate you lose others in the stack to the other terminal.
  • There are different chargers in the cars depending on their age
  • There is different performance of different battery packs
  • There is different performance based on number of charges
  • There is different performance based on how full the battery is
  • There is different performance based on battery temperature
  • There is speculation that Tesla lowers the rate on regular SC users

If all that is right, how do I troubleshoot the fact that I've never seen charging faster that my S75, I've watched it from 10% to 100% at the superchargers and the best I've ever got is 78KW/h and thats at about 35% charge?

Do I have a wearing out battery? and old charger? Tesla Throttled? Thoughts

I was hoping for a survey on your fastest charge rates with car and age to work out if I'm just average?

For me, I used to get consistent 110kW until around 60%. Now, after three years and 50k miles, I get 100kW until about 50%. That's with 90% of my charging being supercharging over the years. A bit of degradation, but not too bad in my opinion. That's only in ideal conditions - battery warm, stall cold and unpaired, starting with at least 15% charge.

I have found a very consistent 100 - 110 combined SoC + charge rate, assuming my pack isn't cold.
By that I mean, if my State of Charge is 30%, I will usually get 70 - 80 kw charge rate. If my SoC is 70, I will get 30 - 40 kw.
It has been much worse this winter in the cold, typically getting 80 total combined. I supercharged yesterday, pulled up with 30% charge and max charge I got was 52kw.

Perhaps the ambient temperature is the killer, most of my charges have been in the chillier weather. The car is warm because I've usually done 50+ miles before getting to the charger (yes, navigated there so car knew it was coming). Perhaps It'll improve in the summer?

Yep
Fully aware of batterygate and voltage capping as well as chargegate with reduced charging speed. Still waiting for someone to coin the regengate term for the regen capping that has also been implemented.
I don't believe I've been voltage capped, but my charging rates including regen have been drastically reduced.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
The full regen temp threshold being raised is an annoyance but not as big a deal are the voltage capping and supercharging rate cut.
I haven't gotten to take a long trip to really warm it before charging but if rate on my car is cut to 70 as many are reporting they killed it as a road trip car. My most common road trip includes a 183 mile leg, this meant a 50minute stop which is a relaxed meal with the family. Turn that into 1:15+ and the family will opt to take a different car.

I 100% agree.
Regen is a mild annoyance.
The charging speed reduction is awful.
I make a run to Boise from salt lake once a month. I have 2 stops on the way to charge. Used to be about 1:10 combined. Now it's an hour + at each stop, and that is just enough to get to the next stop with 5%. Add in the cold and limited regen, and I had to charge to 93% on the longer leg and barely made it on the last trip. It's only 145 mile leg, but without full regen my efficiency is in the mid 400's at best.
A 6 hour is a long but bearable one. Make that 8-1/2 with charging time and it sucks.

My wife almost lost her mind when I told her I was looking to buy a cheap beater car for the long trips, or trips where I can't make it there and back due to lack of charging stations.

Good times!

When I am viewing on my phone I can not see Sig's so I don't know what folks are driving.
FWIW I have a 2014 P85 with 95k on it. 2 years ago at 70k miles 100% was a very good 256miles, today it is 242ish 90% is 220miles.
Most of the charging/discharge events where I have let it go below 10 or over 90% were me trying to recalibrate the BCM since I didn't know what Tesla had done and I don't supercharger much.

Tesla capped supercharging on older cars pretty significantly between 2019.16 and 2019.30. There have been a lot of threads on it and your kW numbers are fairly normal for chargegate-limited cars. They haven't said why they slowed down charging but there is an NHTSA investigation into the cause so we may find out eventually.