TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What temp does the regen-limiting yellow line appear?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Dreamin, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

At what temp is it normal to see the regen-limiting yellow line? I'm seeing it in the 50's... I assumed it would appear at a much lower temp.

photo.JPG

2. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

The target temperature for the pack heater is 50F, so that sounds about right. The regen limit will go away once the battery warms up.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

In my experience the line appears around 5 degrees C, or low 40's in F. 50 sounds a bit on the high side. But who knows if they've updated the firmware...

BUT the line is actually in the wrong place - regen is more limited than it shows. And when the line fully disappears you don't actually have full regen yet.

(Then again maybe they fixed the above so the line appears sooner... haven't seen it yet this season. Except after a range charge.)

4. shark

shark Member

It has gone down to the high 40's here in Chicagoland. I have not seen the orange line yet.

5. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

I've found that timing charging to finish closer to when you leave in the morning can help prewarm the battery.

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Of course. Or just use the remote app to warm the cabin - that switches on the pack heater. If your car is still plugged in it draws from the AC line rather than the battery.

7. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I haven't taken careful notes to verify, but I suspect it varies by more than temp. I am pretty sure I have seen it in the mid-50's but not seen it in the mid-40's. SOC seems a likely factor. In fact that makes sense...it seems I saw it a lot last year when I was charging to 90% and first got the car; but this year I'm typically charging to around 75% and while temps haven't been low a lot, the limiting line has been pretty rare. Of course my firmware has changed in the interim as well.

8. Zextraterrestrial

I think the highest I have seen 40kW regen limiting is @ 50F. The lowest I have not seen it is at ~44F. These were in the morning when I hadn't charged recently. I'll check my data later, I don't have my current spreadsheet on me but it hasn't been cold since April and I just got regen limiting last week for the first time after summer. 44F and 48F gave me 40kW lim

+ I am on about an extra 2.1 woth of firmware updates since the winter time :wink: much nicer now. Superchargers that I can use too! excellent.
    I was wondering about Supercharging in very cold temperatures. Does it ramp up the power slowly as the battery heats or does the battery heat up fast enough that there isn't much extra time involved since under warm circumstances the cooling system is just cranking as hard as it can, so it might be the same no matter the climate? any ideas

9. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I would imagine that if you drove to the Supercharger station, your battery would already be warm enough. I Supercharged a bit in freezing weather last year and rampup was pretty fast - but then again, that was back when Superchargers were new and their highest rate wasn't that high (I think I averaged less than 140mph - cold or warm, it didn't seem to matter). I think the batteries being too warm would be more of an issue; I would expect slowdowns, if any, in really hot weather.

10. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

I saw it last night for the first time.. my car was outside all weekend and I got to it about midnight sunday night.. it was 38*F out... took about 10-15 minutes of driving for it to go away.

11. shark

shark Member

The dotted orange line appeared after being parked outdoors for a few hours tonight at a temperature of 50 F. Disappeared within minutes.

12. huntjo

huntjo Member

Yeah there must have been some software update. I don't think the regen limiter came on this soon last year. Maybe when below freezing, but now I'm seeing it below 50. Doesn't affect me really, as it goes away soon as the car warms up. I wonder if this is because there was a partial correction of some vampire load, where maybe the car doesn't bother keeping the pack as warm when parked in effort to save energy.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Maybe they fixed it. It was pretty clear that the line was in the wrong place before. You'd still have an obvious regen limit when there was no line showing - the regen would not come up to full strength. When there was a yellow line the green bar would never reach it.