Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What temperature does overheat protection kick in? Any way to check its working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, David Cameron left his kids in a pub once..

It happens.. sometimes with fatal results.

Edit: I'm a bit surprised people seem to think this doesn't happen.

People get distracted, routine kicks in.. it's rarely malicious although frequently the parent gets tried to manslaughter anyway.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel
That's also why it doesn't work with sentry
Pretty sure it works with Sentry. Does with mine anyway.
I think it’s tilt/intrusion that doesn’t work with overheat protection.
I always wondered why, and now I know! :)

Incidentally, how do you change the default setting?
Mine defaults to ON (which is fine), but my sister lives in Portugal and hers defaults to OFF. I have to disable tilt/intrusion and enable overheat protection every time I get out of the car…

You need to wake the car up, every day if you’re not driving it, to reset the 12 hour timer. Despite the wording you don’t need to actually drive the car, opening a door and then closing it again is enough.

If you just need to wake the car can’t you just do that from the app?

In theory yes, but in my experiments waking the car from the app hasn’t worked for resetting the 12 hour timer.

I use to think that waking the car was sufficient and even had a TeslaFi event to do a scheduled wake mid morning during periods when it was a problem. But from last year's experience, it didn't always work. Now after further observation, I have a better understanding why.

What @durzal says about opening the drivers door (not sure if other doors have same effect) seems to be the minimum trigger to re-enable the 12 hour timer. If you are greater than 12 hours (I take the 12 hours at its word, not specifically tested it) since last drive (opening drivers door) then waking the car via the app or third party API control such as TeslaFi is not sufficient to trigger the overheat protection. However, if overheat protection has run and say its gone overcast and everything cooled down so the car has gone back to sleep, then if it heats back up again, reawakening the car via the app (and I guess third party) will then restart overheat protection if its still within the 12 hour window. What is not clear is whether the car will at some point have awoken itself - I *think* it will as iirc that this is what I experienced on a couple of occasions last year (instances of car awaking multiple times during the day to run auto condition), although cannot confirm the exact circumstances.

Well, David Cameron left his kids in a pub once..

It happens.. sometimes with fatal results.

Edit: I'm a bit surprised people seem to think this doesn't happen.

People get distracted, routine kicks in.. it's rarely malicious although frequently the parent gets tried to manslaughter anyway.
Wow, this makes me so sad :( I had no idea this was a thing. Why am I not surprised the majority of these are from across the pond. I get it might not be malicious, but kids that age are totally helpless.

I should think the reason for that is simply because they have more dangerously hot days in an average summer than we do. I wouldn't be too quick to assume that that we are necessarily a nation with above average child care ... maybe ... but when I look around, maybe not!
Well everywhere seems to have a hotter summer than us. I'm surprised it's lasted more than a few weeks at the moment. I know it's not a good thing to tar everyone with the same brush, but when I hear of something that I think could never be true, it becomes more apparent most over there to be brushed with stupidity :(

Like they say if the shoe fits...

• Disagree
Reactions: EdgeM3LR
What is not clear is whether the car will at some point have awoken itself - I *think* it will as iirc that this is what I experienced on a couple of occasions last year (instances of car awaking multiple times during the day to run auto condition), although cannot confirm the exact circumstances.
I think this is overheat protection kicking in. I've seen this behaviour quite a few times since I switched that on. I've not been on the app during this time, so the car appears to waken itself to check the temp and perhaps cool down. Inside temp is not super hot, so perhaps it's just checking.
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 20.39.04.png

My screen sits in the sun from early morning to early afternoon. I place a towel over it to keep the heat down. Have had an occasion where the screen locked when hot and had to do a soft reboot (two scroll wheels no brake).
Switching on climate, in the app, reduces the cabin temperature from 35 to 19 in a couple of minutes. If plugged in it takes power from the house.
I also have solar panels so it uses them to cool the cabin.
Sun heats the car, sun runs the AC, balanced.

+1

I’ve had both Sentry and COP on when I’ve parked my car at work, with no issues. Been like that for months.
Today I've been checking (via the Tessie app) and the interior temperature this morning - car parked at home, plugged in, not going anywhere for a while but sitting in direct sunlight - was creeping beyond 50 degrees. So I vented the windows and/or switched on AC until it came down to 20 degrees (an experiment, as much as anything else). This afternoon I've left the car to its own devices - and suddenly it's started keeping the temperature at a nice 38 degrees. So, checking back through this thread... It looks like I needed to reset the 12-hour timer by opening the door and closing it again?! It seems I can do the same by venting the windows/turning on the aircon with an app. Which is nice - even though I can literally see the car from where I'm sitting. (I don't want to leave the house if I don't have to, it's boiling. ;) )

Attachments

• q6qqgn2q2yz41.jpg
    q6qqgn2q2yz41.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Are we all over thinking this?
Cars always got hot in the sun and Tesla is based in California. You would like to hope they are built to deal with heat. Since the COP only operates for 12 hours and several people have advocated the case that it's primarily an anti BBQ your kids feature rather than to protect the car feature anyway should we really worry about this? I have another car sitting next to my Tesla that cannot report its cabin temperature remotely and I have never worried about it. Yes the Tesla has a glass roof but my neighbour has 2 black cars and they haven't melted

Maybe overthinking it? Probably overthinking it, since the Model 3 has been out since like 2018 (or 2017) or something so I would have thought we would have heard about screens failing en masse on US cars by now.

After the yellow border problem on Model S/X, I'm wary of trusting Tesla implicitly to have designed everything in the car to withstand sustained temperatures. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving an iPad in the car, yet the screen is right there.

Also COP doesn't prevent UV damage / premature aging or anything like that.

I definitely agree that there is an "out of sight, out of mind" element to this. If I didn't know how hot it was getting inside, or Cabin Overheat Protection didn't even exist, I'd probably feel differently. Hell if the feature was called "Dogs, Cats and Children Protection" instead I'd probably be inclined not to use it.

Even having said all of the above I still feel more comfortable knowing the interior is under 40C. I can't really explain why, I just feel like 1-2% battery loss is worth it for peace of mind, however illogical that is. If I lived in Florida or something and it meant having COP active for practically the entire year, for longer, then perhaps I'd feel differently about it, but in the UK we only have a few days or weeks of these sorts of temperatures before it calms down a bit.

Reactions: DigbyChicken
Are we all over thinking this?
Cars always got hot in the sun and Tesla is based in California. You would like to hope they are built to deal with heat. Since the COP only operates for 12 hours and several people have advocated the case that it's primarily an anti BBQ your kids feature rather than to protect the car feature anyway should we really worry about this? I have another car sitting next to my Tesla that cannot report its cabin temperature remotely and I have never worried about it. Yes the Tesla has a glass roof but my neighbour has 2 black cars and they haven't melted
I would say, definitely yes! As you've said they were made by a company based in California, they're sold all over the world in climates far sunnier and warmer than ours (Australia, Florida, Dubai anyone?), other than odd issues with some screens on the early S & X if there was something different about the Tesla that makes it likely to melt/fry itself in the sun, I think it would have been all over the news years ago and the cabin would actually keep itself below 40 degrees until the battery died rather than just for 12 hours in an attempt to mitigate the lawsuits :)

I haven't yet managed to burn my legs (on the rare occasions that I wear shorts) on the fake leather seats, so I'm fairly certain that it's no worse than most other cars!

I think this is possibly down to Tesla choosing to name a feature something that most people interpret to mean something else - Autopilot anyone? I mean if it was called "Don't fry your kids after leaving the car" no one would be expecting it to keep their car cool.

But, each to their own, if you are happy keeping yours below 39 degrees, go for it - makes no difference to me :)

It is strange. I guess the theory is that it keeps the car at a reasonable temperature while you’re out and about, so when you get back to it to go home or whatever it’s not scorching inside and doesn’t take long to get down to 20C or whatever you normally have it on.

But then it’s called “Cabin Overheat Protection”, which suggests that the cabin can overheat, and that’s bad? But if it is bad then it’s bad 24/7 surely, not just 12 hours after driving…

I dunno tbh. In my experience it uses a negligible amount of battery, so I’m happy to have it on all the time, even if it’s just psychosomatic in terms of preventing premature failure or aging, etc.
My thinking is that computer screen won't want to get too hot too often. Also the cabin materials could crack over time with extreme heat. This must be a serious issue in Arizona!

You are all over thinking this. The cabin overheat protection was a response to people leaving kids in the car. At the time it came out we had a few very public instances in the USA.

Your Tesla is made in the desert of California and stored there for sometimes months.

I don't have cabin overheat on. I have no kids or pets to leave in the car.

If it was something needed to prevent damage to the car you would not have the option to turn it off. Kind of like the battery heating and cooling itself when parked.

Attachments

• 02CARS01-superJumbo.jpg
    02CARS01-superJumbo.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 39