Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What temperature does overheat protection kick in? Any way to check its working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Side note. If you have kids or pets I think it's a good idea to leave it on. I know everyone thinks it won't happen to them but so did the people it happened to. That 1 in a million chance you are tired and make a mistake that fan running in your Tesla could give you a few hours to realize it and save your kids life.

It's a good idea. I bet whoever thought of it at Tesla prob saved at least one kid or pet by now.

On a side note…. Ive been getting the ‘wake up clicks’ a lot today, could this be the cabin overheat protection kicking in?
I normally only hear the wake up clicks when I open the app up.
It depends when it's happening really.

Assuming you've got COP enabled, and have driven the car within 12 hours (or opened a door or done something else to wake it up), and it's in direct sunlight, then in theory yes it could be waking itself to cool down. You'd ordinarily start to hear a constant fan noise once it starts doing this though.

Reactions: D1939
It depends when it's happening really.

Assuming you've got COP enabled, and have driven the car within 12 hours (or opened a door or done something else to wake it up), and it's in direct sunlight, then in theory yes it could be waking itself to cool down. You'd ordinarily start to hear a constant fan noise once it starts doing this though.
Thanks, I do have it enabled but the temps up to 47 now and the fans haven’t come on, the cabin protection doesn’t seem to be working. (Did have a drive this morning)
It must be something else waking the car up. Had to do a reset this morning as the screen was messing around.
Could be the last update causing a few issues.

Pretty much wakes up as soon as it hits 40C, from what I can see...

Screenshot 2021-07-23 at 15.05.08.png

Worth noting that COP doesn't work the same way as putting climate on to reach your desired target temperature. It appears to just try and get the temperature slightly under 40C before falling asleep again (assuming it doesn't get back to 40C before it does), rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
Reactions: D1939
I use to think that waking the car was sufficient and even had a TeslaFi event to do a scheduled wake mid morning during periods when it was a problem. But from last year's experience, it didn't always work. Now after further observation, I have a better understanding why.

What @durzal says about opening the drivers door (not sure if other doors have same effect) seems to be the minimum trigger to re-enable the 12 hour timer. If you are greater than 12 hours (I take the 12 hours at its word, not specifically tested it) since last drive (opening drivers door) then waking the car via the app or third party API control such as TeslaFi is not sufficient to trigger the overheat protection. However, if overheat protection has run and say its gone overcast and everything cooled down so the car has gone back to sleep, then if it heats back up again, reawakening the car via the app (and I guess third party) will then restart overheat protection if its still within the 12 hour window. What is not clear is whether the car will at some point have awoken itself - I *think* it will as iirc that this is what I experienced on a couple of occasions last year (instances of car awaking multiple times during the day to run auto condition), although cannot confirm the exact circumstances.

This behaviour seems to have possibly changed.

Can not used or even unlocked all week yet this morning the app says it’s kicked in…
1651322219152.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Can you hear the car to know if it's actually cooling?

I ask as I've recently had some notifications arrive that were from weeks ago, such as the boot being left open when it wasn't.

You would hear but it also makes similar noises when just "doing its own thing" but not necessarily actively cooling the cabin ... so hearing the noises isn't a good guide. Notifications will come through if a door or boot was open for a touch longer than usual ... but you ultimately closed it at the times and never thought about it being an issue ... then later you spot that there's a notification on your phone. It's happened to me and I look at the app just to be sure things really are closed.

You would hear but it also makes similar noises when just "doing its own thing" but not necessarily actively cooling the cabin ... so hearing the noises isn't a good guide. Notifications will come through if a door or boot was open for a touch longer than usual ... but you ultimately closed it at the times and never thought about it being an issue ... then later you spot that there's a notification on your phone. It's happened to me and I look at the app just to be sure things really are closed.

Yep, I definitely had the notification arrive days later. The phone beeped when it arrived, it wasn't a notification I missed. The time it displays since the notification arrived was even showing as just now. I did leave the boot open a few days early but fortunately noticed myself. Yet the app notified me several days later.

This has happened a few times now to me, like the notification queue is blocked up and then suddenly unblocked.

I did wonder if this might be related to why sometimes notifications just don't work, like when there is a software update available and it doesn't notify.

I have checked the Tesla app is excluded from all battery saving.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this?

Reactions: Adopado