TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What Tesla autopilot sees at night

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by verygreen, Nov 12, 2018.

1. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

I was kind of surprised of the glare the blinkers put on the repeater cams. The road is still mostly wet from a recent rain.

I also have rain footage, but rain was not too strong so I suspect I need to wait for a stronger one.

• Informative x 12
    • Love x 5
    • Like x 1
  2. 1375mlm

1375mlm Member

One thing I noticed when driving out in the middle of nowhere was AP’s performance in lowlight, and I mean when I turned all headlights off, no illumination from other side traffic (was none when I tested) and none from adjacent cars (no cars in front or behind me for at least a mile).
    It was a little stupid, but I wanted to see what would happen... of course I was extremely cautious and didn’t even think to look away or take hands off.
    This was with clear lane lines, no construction
    I tried Two scenarios when testing the lowlight performance
    One was when I disengaged AP, turned headlights off (no daytime either) and saw the AP option to engage, which I did. It performed solidly and kept within lines like I would have. Didn’t test much with curves, only for less than a minute.
    Next, and a little more scary, I had AP on and then with it on turned headlights off. Same result.
    Impressive

• Informative x 3
  3. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

the car cameras have pretty solid dynamic range so they should do ok in the dark as long as there's at least some light (from like the moon)

• Informative x 2
  4. 1375mlm

1375mlm Member

Could have been ambient light from daytimes, I thought they were off but I couldn’t tell. It showed that they were off in the settings (v8)
    But still, if they can handle that, then that’s good on them for prepping for lowlight/low visibility times at night
    Reassuring for FSD development

• Informative x 1
  5. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I wonder how well it can see cars without their headlights on?

Recently there have been a bunch of cases where people have been driving without their lights at night. To the point where at least one time I was really worried about changing lanes in front of him because I couldn't see his car clearly (a black car).

For some reason I didn't think of looking at the 360 degree visualization to see what it showed.

My guess is it saw the car better than I can.

Oh, and I have been keeping track of the rear camera. So far there have been zero failures in about a week of keeping track.

6. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

for me the most common failure mode now is (if I do turn on rear cam shortly after when the car is truly sleeping) make a short stop, get out (like a super quick shopping visit, make it under two minutes if you can) - when you return to the car - no backup camera detections.

Same thing if I get to the car, open the trunk, start placing stuff inside and so on, eventually I get into the car - no backup cam detections.

It might also stop working not in those scenarios, but I am less sure about those.

• Informative x 2
  7. djgarrett21

djgarrett21 Member

Orange stripe down the middle indicates you were using AP (not Nav on AP)?

Trying to make sense of the lane markings.
    Green=dashed/available lanes
    Red=Solid line
    Yellow=?
    Purple=? (Flashes in the pillar cam)

Interesting how the lane markings change @ 3:25 as you take an exit. Goes from red, to yellow, to green.

8. strangecosmos

strangecosmos Non-Member

Great video, but can you add some EDM?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. strangecosmos

strangecosmos Non-Member

#9 strangecosmos, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    That’s so cool. VG, would you be able to find an area of pitch darkness (might be hard depending where you live) when you could safely stop the car, turn off the headlights, and record what Autopilot sees?

I would love to see a test of Autopilot in pitch dark. But it sounds super unsafe so the best way I think is to 1) keep the car stopped or 2) use a closed road/closed test track.

1375mlm thank you for the scientific result but please don’t crash your car :p

• Like x 1
  10. Seattle Tom

Seattle Tom Member

@verygreen, thank you again! I was curious how autopilot would work at night (since thus far the various videos have been in daytime). This video was illuminating...pun intended.

That glare on the repeater cam and from the lens flare from streetlights was surprising. I still think the vision was good though.

And your rear cam worked on this video too! :)

11. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

not sure what you mean by that orange stripe. This is just AP, no maps on AP (should not really make any differences for the purposes of the video)
    yellow is the in-car reported "unknown.
    Purple is "road edge" of some sort we believe.

What's EDM?

Yeah, now that I have a non-scientific magic to make it more likely to work than not I am using it whenever I can.

12. Tezlanian

Tezlanian Member

Rural environment next please. Would be interesting to see what it makes of combines, cows and dirt roads :D

• Like x 1
  13. strangecosmos

strangecosmos Non-Member

Electronic dance music. Like this:

14. 1375mlm

1375mlm Member

Have driven the route over 20 times, it's the houston to dallas stretch. Was doing it at about midnight. But that was a one time only thing, won't dare to try again. Thanks!

• Like x 1
  15. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

oh, that's complicated, not only tastes differ, I need to find a bunch of free licensed music (one per video), and people would still hate the repeating stuff as they rewatch footage (everybody rewatches it many times since it's hard to concentrate on more than a single camera at a time, right, right?)

• Funny x 1
  16. GWord

GWord Member

I think he was just teasing you and also poking fun at people's propensity to add distracting music to documentary type vids.

• Like x 1
  17. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

Just got some footage in a fog. Not super dense (at about 1:00 is thick stuff starting), but still noticeable.

• Love x 1
  18. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Active Member

was the pause for the truck to go by before your car accelerated NoA autopilot? If so that’s pretty impressive!

19. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

no. As you can see from the status, it was fully manual at that point, Disengagement was at 00:13 for the exit. Also NoA was not in use at all though I need to start thinking how to visualize that I guess.

• Like x 1
  20. SR22pilot

SR22pilot Member

Nice videos. I'm disappointed that traffic lights don't seem to be recognized. Unless I mossed something that is. I was hoping the code was working to recognize them even if the result isn't being used.