Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the heck am I going to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We decided more than two months ago to replace our Chevy Volt with a Model Y Long Range and ordered it on July 24th. We wanted red so it came to just under 55k.
A big part of our decision was to be able to trade in the Volt and they agreed to the deal.
Subsequently, we jumped through all of their hoops (pics, insurance copies, title copy etc) and then heard NOTHING for eight weeks. I mean NOTHING.
Well yesterday they sent an email telling us to pick the car up tomorrow (2 day notice).
So...ok...we had to change a doctor's appointment but, since they give you no date or time option, and since there is ABSOLUTELY no way to contact them, we felt we had better go along with their plan.
THEN...we got an email from them telling us the title paperwork for the Volt (that we had sent them almost two months earlier) wouldn't suffice and they wanted us to run down to the DMV and get the one they wanted.
Arizona now holds titles electronically and doesn't send out paper copies anymore and Tesla's system doesn't work with Arizona's system I guess.
And it turns out that, even if we had been able to get to the DMV (you have to make an appointment) they MAIL out the new title copies which, they say, takes two weeks.
So, if we have any recourse, I can't figure out what it might be.
The irony here, of course, is that they had TWO MONTHS to look at the title paperwork we sent them.
Any ideas?

You change the delivery within your App or on the Website to give you time to get a copy (if necessary) of your title. Changing procedures could be for future events, but to resolve this issue the best method might be to change the delivery date. I took delivery of my Model Y in July and I had the option of changing the delivery date.

Sounds like my experience. Ordered, then nothing, nothing, nothing. An email with a VIN and then days later, while at work, got a paniced telephone call telling me the car transport truck was 20 minutes from my northern new england home about ready to drop off the car. A little bit too late to use my app to change the delivery process!!
And then they wonder what we call into the SA and CHAT every day for updates......lol

You can delay delivery 2-3 days easily. In some cases up to a week depending on who you talk to and their week. I got both of my last two cars delayed. Last one I told them on was on vacation and got two weeks.

You can also refuse delivery and get back in the queue.

Take the car to Cars Direct or Carvana as someone mentioned. Carvana or one of the services even comes to your house to pick it up. I know a couple sales managers at various dealers and they take their personal cars to Cars Direct.

One other thing is that appraisal is only valid for 30 days. If it's been more then that they might reappraise. I lost $1k on last car due to 2 month wait.

Carvana may be easier, but it will increase your taxes on the new car. In AZ (hi neighbor) you do not pay sales tax on the amount of a trade in. So Carvana’s offer would have to be that much higher to effectively be the same. Sure, sometimes it makes sense, sometimes not.

Re: title. Try a third party MVD authorized office. Much quicker and easier to deal with and I THINK they can do titles, but you may have to check on that.

THEN...we got an email from them telling us the title paperwork for the Volt (that we had sent them almost two months earlier) wouldn't suffice and they wanted us to run down to the DMV and get the one they wanted.
Arizona now holds titles electronically and doesn't send out paper copies anymore and Tesla's system doesn't work with Arizona's system I guess.

BIG LOL!

Tesla managers dont have their vip cards because they are "Green Company".
But they want "new paperwork for your car" ?

Carvana may be easier, but it will increase your taxes on the new car. In AZ (hi neighbor) you do not pay sales tax on the amount of a trade in. So Carvana’s offer would have to be that much higher to effectively be the same. Sure, sometimes it makes sense, sometimes not.

Re: title. Try a third party MVD authorized office. Much quicker and easier to deal with and I THINK they can do titles, but you may have to check on that.
Hi yourself, neighbor. Yeah, everything you say makes sense here. And as a matter fact we already use the third party DMV offices for most situations. I will call one of them tomorrow and find out if they can issue the title. Who knows, I may even try to work something out with Carvana. If their offer is at least $1000 higher it should work as regards the sales tax issue .

I got a quote 4 k more on carvana than Tesla

I’d been hearing that a lot this year that Tesla has been lower. Thankfully they were higher than third parties for me last year when I did my trade in. I was shocked how high they were actually and they never even locked at the car, nor did I have to provide photos. Heck they’re didn’t even check the miles, just asked for the keys and never even looked at it. Crazy.

Sounds like the problem actually is working out for you long run. Congrats.

I feel for you...they waited until the last moment to tell I need all this paperwork for my trade My car wasn’t suppose to come until the end of September because it was a LR with a Tow Hitch and not a performance I placed my order last year September. On June 30th they called me early morning and said my car was the delivery place and needed to picked up today. I had so much paperwork to collect (trading in car) to make it happen. I was sweating it, then while I was running around trying to collect the needed paperwork the air suspension on my car went out and the 12 volt battery died too. But I keep going in a bouncing low rider (air suspension went out) with idiot lights flashing at me. 5pm I had everything ready except how do I explain my trade is now a low rider with idiot lights flashing... I pulled in Tesla delivery place with checks in hand they never asked anything about my trade just took my car. Handed all my paperwork to the Tesla Rep. All that sweating for nothing. Now I have a car I love its fast, fun to drive and my boys are crazy about it.

It was probably just a fuse and a 12v battery that need to be replaced. Sure the have had worse. But they were great except wanting expedited paper work that could have been done months in advance.

Best to you! Trying calling the person who called you their number should be on an email they sent you. They are very responsive while you are in the pickup stage of things.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: captanzuelo
We decided more than two months ago to replace our Chevy Volt with a Model Y Long Range and ordered it on July 24th. We wanted red so it came to just under 55k.
A big part of our decision was to be able to trade in the Volt and they agreed to the deal.
Subsequently, we jumped through all of their hoops (pics, insurance copies, title copy etc) and then heard NOTHING for eight weeks. I mean NOTHING.
Well yesterday they sent an email telling us to pick the car up tomorrow (2 day notice).
So...ok...we had to change a doctor's appointment but, since they give you no date or time option, and since there is ABSOLUTELY no way to contact them, we felt we had better go along with their plan.
And it turns out that, even if we had been able to get to the DMV (you have to make an appointment) they MAIL out the new title copies which, they say, takes two weeks.
So, if we have any recourse, I can't figure out what it might be.
The irony here, of course, is that they had TWO MONTHS to look at the title paperwork we sent them.
Any ideas?
OK. So here is the final chapter of this saga. First, let me thank all of the responders for their sympathy and for their suggestions. They were excellent and much appreciated. I have learned a few things from this. First, make sure that your "number of record" with Tesla is a cell phone and not a landline. Apparently, they had been texting me progress reports but they had been sending them to my landline. Of course they could have picked up the phone and called me but they didn't and I'm not sure I should expect them to???Anyhow, be that as it may, the second thing I have learned is to get a paper title from your DMV. Not only did I need that in this particular situation but when I contacted Carvana and agreed to sell the car to them instead of trading it in to Tesla, it turns out they ALSO require it. So here I sit watching my snail mailbox hoping the paper title will show up in the not too distant future. The good news is that I was able to arrange some supplementary financing and actually take delivery of the car. Additionally, I am really pleased to report that the car is in excellent shape (I am not much of a nit-picker though) and I think it actually shows a lot of improvements, subtle though they are, when I compare it to my two year old Model S Raven. The only area where it does not seem to compare pretty favorably is the rough ride. Of course the Raven has adaptive suspension and the Y does not, so that really was not unexpected.