Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the heck do these terms mean? P+, P-, Stealth Performance, Anti-stealth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'AWD+' or 'AWD Plus' is the term found in some config XML and does indeed coincide with the Marketing 'Acceleration Boost' upgrade available to non-Performance Dual Motor LR AWD Model 3s.

'Stealth Performance' can also (and most fittingly) mean a mid/late 2018, early 2019 Dual Motor LR AWD Model 3 reflashed to full Performance spec (with or without track mode)... 18 Aeros or 19 Stilletos, regular brakes, regular calipers, ideally black/wood trim interior, no cf spoiler and no Dual Motor or Dual Motor underline badging.

While 'Anti-Stealth Performance' I assume can just as easily refer to any stealth Performance Model 3, which has been brought as close to the typical Performance spec/look. Silver or Dark Grey 20s, larger disc brakes, red 4-pot? calipers, cf spoiler, Dual Motor plus red underline trunk badge, slight drop,, misc suspension tidbits.

'

'Stealth Performance' can also (and most fittingly) mean a mid/late 2018, early 2019 Dual Motor LR AWD Model 3 reflashed to full Performance spec (with or without track mode)... 18 Aeros or 19 Stilletos, regular brakes, regular calipers, ideally black/wood trim interior, no cf spoiler and no Dual Motor or Dual Motor underline badging.

All performance cars have track mode, AWD with $2k power upgrade does not; stealth performance originally only came with 18" aeros but later, in the newer waves of them, some could be 'found' with the OEM 19 or 18 depending.

This is where I believe Tesla went wrong by having vary ambiguous naming structure. Could potentially be difficult for new buyers to tell a difference as many see Model 3 as just one trim.

Here is hierarchy of Model 3 (Likely i am wrong, as doing it from memory), feel free to correct it

SR Short Range, partial interior?, certain features are turned off and/or missing
SR+ Short Range, premium interior?

Pretty sure SR is Standard Range, not Short Range.

All performance cars have track mode, AWD with $2k power upgrade does not; stealth performance originally only came with 18" aeros but later, in the newer waves of them, some could be 'found' with the OEM 19 or 18 depending.
Thanks. There are a fair amount of Performance cars out there WITHOUT track mode. These are the true stealth performance cars from late 2018 early 2019 that started their lives as LR AWDs and were subsequently reflashed to performance motor spec on or after delivery (sometimes by mistake, often since the owner ordered a Performance but received a LR AWD for whatever reason).

This is also the reason such Stealth Performance cars came with either the 18s/Aeros or 19s/Stilletos.

This form of Stealth Performance is different from the one you describe (sleeper, not immediately obvious Performance trim Performance cars).

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Thanks. There are a fair amount of Performance cars out there WITHOUT track mode.
This post confuses me - ALL Performance cars, stealth or otherwise, have Track Mode unless the owner has blocked firmware updates for 6+mos.
These are the true stealth performance cars from late 2018 early 2019 that started their lives as LR AWDs and were subsequently reflashed to performance motor spec on or after delivery (sometimes by mistake, often since the owner ordered a Performance but received a LR AWD for whatever reason).

My car is an original Stealth Performance, delivered to me Aug 8 2018. I swapped out the 18" aeros with the OEM 19s on the RWD car I traded in for the current AWD Performance. It was Performance without upgrades, specifically ordered by me with that config because I didn't want the 20" rims nor loss of range; it was a performance trade off I was willing to make.

The guesstimate by many is that some errors in Stealth Performance cars delivered with "just" AWD software but could be re-flashed is based on the fact that 980 vs 990 motors were on all Model 3s in the beginning thus all AWD could be so flashed. Like many, the Dual Motor (red underline badge) did not come with my car but showed up some months later. Anyone with Performance software can get that badge if they want, only those with performance upgrade can get a spoiler from Tesla.

This is also the reason such Stealth Performance cars came with either the 18s/Aeros or 19s/Stilletos.

This form of Stealth Performance is different from the one you describe (sleeper, not immediately obvious Performance trim Performance cars).

Only in the newer waves could you potentially get a stealth performance car with 18 or 19, when I got mine there was no option from Tesla. Annoying but conveniently I had those rims on my RWD so I swapped them; those with the 18s were the original stealth performance cars.

Tesla also recently muddied the waters a small bit by offering essentially the AWD+ package, a $2k firmware tweak to increase the performance making it closer to any Performance car but no Track Mode.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I've updated the SR for you: both what the acronym stands for and the interior
Here is hierarchy of Model 3 (Likely i am wrong, as doing it from memory), feel free to correct it

SR Standard Range (was 210 mile rated range - not sure what it is post-boost), Partial Premium interior, certain features are turned off and/or missing
SR+ Standard Range (was 240 mile range pre-boost, 250 mile post boost), Partial Premium interior
MR Midrange, no longer available, premium interior, bigger battery
LR RWD Long Range, Rear Wheel Drive - no longer available, the first Model 3 to be made.
LR AWD Long Range, All Wheel Drive
LR AWD+ Long Range All Wheel drive with $2k Boost option
P3- Performance Long Range without bigger wheels, brakes
P3/P3+ Performance Long Range with bigger wheels brakes.

I hate that mickey mouse +/- crap too. They are SR, LR(awd), Performance, Stealth.
But it isn't Mickey Mouse crap - there are differences (and the + is official Tesla designation on the SR Plus, though admittedly they don't use the + sign). It's a way of delineating the differences that do exist.

Reactions: bijan and boriszima
I forgot about that thread, but yeah that was one person who was basically bolting on the appearance of a performance (what little differences there are) to a car without the speed. People feel differently about this in various car forums, but coming from BMW land, for me, its not much difference from someone slapping a "M" badge on the rear decklid of a BMW 328/428.
Love this response, coming in from the BMW land as well