Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the heck is in my paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, took delivery yesterday, there was this bubble of what looked like excess paint right where the roof line meets the trunk lid. Touched it and it uncovered what I can best describe as what looks like saw dust. Any ideas what this is???

Attachments

• 5CFEF509-73E4-4147-9464-B44DA202EFD9.jpeg
    5CFEF509-73E4-4147-9464-B44DA202EFD9.jpeg
    487.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 3D330B9D-19E0-46AD-BA25-C2238DE661C5.jpeg
    3D330B9D-19E0-46AD-BA25-C2238DE661C5.jpeg
    711 KB · Views: 274
It could be rail dust (rust). Rail dust frequently contaminates the paint of a new vehicle when the vehicle is transported by freight train from the factory before being loaded onto a car carrier for delivery to the service center. There are specific products that can remove rail dust without damaging the paint.

It could be rail dust (rust). Rail dust frequently contaminates the paint of a new vehicle when the vehicle is transported by freight train from the factory before being loaded onto a car carrier for delivery to the service center. There are specific products that can remove rail dust without damaging the paint.
This appears to be a concentrated ball of it that was contained in a bubble versus being mixed in with the paint.

So, took delivery yesterday, there was this bubble of what looked like excess paint right where the roof line meets the trunk lid. Touched it and it uncovered what I can best describe as what looks like saw dust. Any ideas what this is???
Looks like Tesla may have painted over a panel that had some flash surface rust. Talk to a Tesla manager about this ASAP.

I had the same thing. Its not dirt or rust. It's stuff they put between the panel joins at the back. It seems to ooze out around the joins, presumably at joining time, and they just paint over it. It's soft and squishy and reminiscent of cork or neoprene, and has that odd brown color. It's easy to break or knock off on account of its softness, even when covered by paint.

Mine came like yours with some broken off exposing the brown. I complained about it at service along with the various other defects my car came with, and they just put touchup paint over it again.

Reactions: TriKKyOne
I had the same thing. Its not dirt or rust. It's stuff they put between the panel joins at the back. It seems to ooze out around the joins, presumably at joining time, and they just paint over it. It's soft and squishy and reminiscent of cork or neoprene, and has that odd brown color. It's easy to break or knock off on account of its softness, even when covered by paint.

Mine came like yours with some broken off exposing the brown. I complained about it at service along with the various other defects my car came with, and they just put touchup paint over it again.
Thanks! Knew someone would know. I wasn’t overly worried about it just wondering if anyone knew what it was. :) Loving my new ride.