Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the heck is this orange stuff oozing from the frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More and worse: traveled between LA and Vegas last week and the 100F heat has made all sorts of this same orange foam run out of the hood's folded-over under body edge foam that we are all complaining about! In my case the foam has eaten through the Opticoat and Xpel that I have on the hood and the nose-cone cover and have to go through replacing all that. Worst of it is that we get 100-120F days down here in SoCal and even worse in NV. I am scheduled to take the car in for 12k service in about 2 weeks when they will have to remedy the issues to (hopefully) my satisfaction.

Hood replace here as well

Another one here...delivery in March, and service center suggests a full hood replace and nose cone replace will be needed to correct. Don't like the fact that my 2month old car is going to get repainted to accommodate this defect, but guess what else can I do? SC did confirm the goo is to reinforce the frunk and prevent denting...

Another one here...delivery in March, and service center suggests a full hood replace and nose cone replace will be needed to correct. Don't like the fact that my 2month old car is going to get repainted to accommodate this defect, but guess what else can I do? SC did confirm the goo is to reinforce the frunk and prevent denting...

There was a theory shared with me (person will not be named but knows Teslas inside and out) that improper application and/or too much of this stuff is the main cause of the Frunk dents we're seeing: Frunk Dent (Frustrating...)

How widespread is this problem? Big enough to be a technical service bulletin issue? Is it certain VINs only, that were manufactured during a certain time?

If I take a long drive out into the 100F+ desert am I going to encounter this orange goo?

Wondering how Tesla can stay quiet about this. I've never heard of a car having this problem before.

How widespread is this problem? Big enough to be a technical service bulletin issue? Is it certain VINs only, that were manufactured during a certain time?

If I take a long drive out into the 100F+ desert am I going to encounter this orange goo?

Wondering how Tesla can stay quiet about this. I've never heard of a car having this problem before.

I'd guess it's certain VINs. My car is outside a lot in Texas and no orange goo.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone tasted it? :eek:

Never taste yellow snow. I'd guess this applies to orange as well.

Orange goo

Has anyone tasted it? :eek:

Ha - the first thing the SC told me is "don't touch it!" - meanwhile my dad had his fingers covered in the stuff....

the he stuff is sticky beyond belief unless you use ice to solidify it. At room temp it's pliable, at warm temps it's just nasty - think orange roofing tar?

ill let you taste it...does anyone have an idea what the stuff even is?

It is going to be expanding foam sprayed into the cavities formed in the hood I suspect. Properly done it would make the hood more rigid and quiet. You can even sort of make out 2 slots on each side where it wants to come out; there is probably one in the middle too. To further speculate: It was a bad batch of expanding foam that didn't cure properly. It shouldn't be fluid under any circumstances. So this particular batch was made wrong, or mixed wrong so it didn't cure. Not noticeable with cold to mild conditions. It gets hot and flows out.

teslahood.jpg

Any solvent that removes the residue? Biggest chunks easy to snap off but minor oozing continues for me, vin22694.
always try least aggressive options first on paint. not knowing what this stuff is and whether its sitting on top of clear or already burned in, I would start wth some petroleum jelly or WD40 or maybe isopropyl alcohol (which works great on tree sap). maybe an automotive all purpose cleaner listed as paint safe at the recommended dilution. after that it gets frightening to me and I would consult pro detailer. maybe ne of the pro detailers on this board can chime in, however, unless they know what is in this stuff they will probably be guessing too.

Last edited:
Satisfactory repair?

Thanks for the suggestions. I called the local service center but haven't heard back. I don't think there's an official company policy/solution yet.

SweetP, call them back. Portland SC definitely knows about the issue, although the solution still feels like it's being figured out. At first I needed a new hood becuase there was no way to fix a bad cure, but then somehow they decided it was fixable by just removing the orange goo that oozed out. I'm curious whether the ooze will come back on the first hot day - given the reports above, sounds like that's a distinct possibliity.

Also not happy that a car with 1000 miles has now been repaired/repainted (talk depreciation and diminshed value!) plus their apology for scratching it during the repair on the hood - all in all a pretty disappointing first experience with Tesla service.

Ugh.:confused:

My fix will be to replace some small plastic trim pieces that got dripped on and buffing the seam and surrounding areas, all on the underside of the hood. Apparently none of the solvents tried worked. On the plus side there was no further ooze despite sun exposure in 100+ weather headed to TMC.

Is there anyone here who has a vehicle made in February/March 2014 and parks/drives it in extreme heat that does not have this problem? Mine was made at that time but I park it in the shade, and haven't driven it in high temps yet so I don't know if this something that is inevitable or perhaps if it makes it through this summer by next summer the "goo" will be sufficiently cured/hardened that it won't ooze?