Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the Heck is up with Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chasedrgc1223

Nearly Insane
Apr 8, 2015
NJ
Just about 5 minutes ago, I was driving down a road with moderate stop and go traffic (autopilot engaged), and TACC either did not react quick enough to a car in front or didn't react at all. The collision warning beeped and I slammed on the brakes, and I'm sure it also triggered automatic emergency braking, and this is the first time I've actually had to slam on the brakes to the point of getting ABS to activate. This sounds very similar to the P90D owner who rear ended a vehicle recently with Autopilot engaged, and nothing like this ever happened prior to 7.1.

I use Autopilot extensively and have not experienced any bad behavior. I have experienced the situation where the car you are following changes lanes and it takes a second for my Autopilot to acquire the vehicle in front of me. Realizing that AP is beta software, I do drive with the distance setting between 5 and 7. This gives me a comfortable buffer when jerks in front of me switch lanes suddenly because a car in front of them is at a stop or going extremely slow. Even in an ICE this can cause a rear end accident, but the AP reacts quickly and has always stopped with an adequate buffer.

I have had issues and near-misses like this recently. I never experienced these before in 7.0 or with my MBZ with TACC over the past few years. I am driving much more carefully after 7.1. I do not have the same level of trust I had for 7.0. It's as if I'm teaching another kid to drive already!:crying:

Absolutely agree. Something has been broken here, and it's not very reassuring to know an update has reduced my trust in the car's driver assistance features.

- - - Updated - - -

AEB events or just forward collision warning?

I've also experienced the too-close-for-comfort with TACC in city driving which is why I don't use it or auto steer unless I'm on the highway and I'm always vigilant to take over if needed. It's not the stress-free driving I've heard people say they've experienced; quite the opposite, in fact. It could just be due to my lack of experience with AP so far (only had the car 3 weeks and not a lot of AP driving during that time).

Yep, mine is usually at 6/7. I have Collision Warning on 'Late,' but I think I will change it as well for now. 7.0 was much more relaxing for me. At least it didn't try to rear-end people. Just had to manage the curves and hold the wheel a little tighter.

I have had no close calls. But I am hyper vigilant and tend to intervene if I don't think it is slowing as I would like. Though I must say that it is rare that I have to. It seems to work very well and predictably. I'll never trust it completely. It's way too early for that.

Just about 5 minutes ago, I was driving down a road with moderate stop and go traffic (autopilot engaged), and TACC either did not react quick enough to a car in front or didn't react at all. The collision warning beeped and I slammed on the brakes, and I'm sure it also triggered automatic emergency braking, and this is the first time I've actually had to slam on the brakes to the point of getting ABS to activate. This sounds very similar to the P90D owner who rear ended a vehicle recently with Autopilot engaged, and nothing like this ever happened prior to 7.1.

Do you recall what you had the following distance set to? It would help us understand your incident better.

I've had it set to 2 since I got the car, and this is the first time I've been having any issues with it. I'll have to change my forward collision warning to "early" as well, as this is definitely more stressful than pre-7.1. I think I'm holding off from city driving too until this is fixed.

I read all the comments in this thread and I say "Gee, there must be a problem with the 7.1 software".........they I say "Wait a minute, I own an 85D with 7.1 and my car has behaved perfectly with TACC and AP." Soooooo, do some cars have cameras, and/or sensors that are not behaving properly.....did the software not get downloaded properly........is it driver error? Not sure what the real answer is but I am thinking the cameras/sensors performance is suspect. Weather was not mentioned in any of the comments but I would suspect it the least. I have to think the software was extensively tested before we ever got to use it......Tesla could not afford to do otherwise.

My wife has just been trying out the autopilot recently. Today she noticed that when she got on the highway with cruise control at 65 (speed limit) she could not get the autopilot to activate (gray, no blue). She also noticed that the speed limit sign recognized by the car was 45 mph (the road she was on, not the highway). I told her I thought it was the new update, that there was a 5 mph limit above the posted sign for it to work. Am I full of **** or is this correct? Has anyone else noticed this too?