Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the hell Tucson??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm driving to Tucson from south Florida with stops to meet old friends and sight see through Colorado, Utah and Nevada. The planning is going well...until I get to Tucson! How is it possible that Tucson has no supercharger? It's a cosmopolitan big city. Then upon leaving, I am forced to go back up to Flagstaff and across 40 when 10 would be such an easy way to go. Understand that I am very appreciative that I have superchargers almost all the way, but thought I might just find out if anyone has done this trip and might have a tip or two for making this easier. I regularly look at Superchargers.info to update my trip plan and then I'm using a betterrouteplanner.com as well as evtripplanner.com to get from home to all my destinations. I just need to find some charging in Tucson out near Sabino Canyon...any thoughts?

Reactions: Tom Kilroy
You sound as if you think Tesla should have built a supercharger everywhere already. That's just not reality. It's amazing how big the supercharger network is already-- no other companies have such a network-- but it's still a work in progress. If you look at Tesla's map you will see that a supercharger is planned for Tucson this year, and others on I-10 to connect it to Texas. But there are many ways to charge besides supercharging. Have you looked into charging where you're staying in Tucson? I see several hotels have J1772s or HPWCs. If you're staying at a friend's house you could plug into 120V there if there isn't a convenient dryer outlet. Or you may want to buy a CHAdeMO adapter-- there are several CHAdeMO DC charging stations in Tucson.

The trip planners you describe are fine for superchargers, but that's just a small subset of charging stations. You need to look on Plugshare to see all the CHAdeMO stations and level 2 charging wherever you're going. Don't just depend on superchargers.

I just need to find some charging in Tucson out near Sabino Canyon...any thoughts?
There are some Tesla destination chargers not far from Sabino Canyon:

Embassy Suites Tucson- Paloma Village
3110 E Skyline Dr
Tucson, AZ 85718
Phone: (520) 352-4000

The Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
3800 East Sunrise Dr
Tucson, Arizona 85718
Phone: (520) 742-6000

The La Paloma charger is a bit closer to Sabino Canyon. The Bear Canyon Library charger may be "physically" closer (as the crow flies), but there are no roads that will take you directly there and it's a considerable distance away.

If you press the lighting bolt icon on your navigation screen, you should get a list of superchargers and destination chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: ApauloThirteen
And it looks like half a dozen SpC's are coming, if you believe the 'coming soon' map. Doesn't help for 'now', but good for near future:

upload_2017-5-3_14-1-33.png

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
How is it possible that Tucson has no supercharger?
Asked...

It's a cosmopolitan big city.
And answered.

(Historically Tesla didn't build Superchargers in big cities as they were meant for Road trips only. So you needed them between cities, not in cities. This model is changing now with paid-for-charging, but that is a relatively new development. As of now, most SuperChargers are in smaller towns.).

@Tequesta There will be supercharging in the area eventually, but like all things, it's not going to happen overnight. Tesla is building this network alone, while other EV manufacturers are mostly relying on private sector low amperage installations. (Hopefully you knew there was no supercharger in Tucson when planning your trip.)

There are a handful of CHAdeMO charging stations in the Tucson area, which will charge faster than the J1772s. Hopefully you have an adapter for that in your travel kit.

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 11.20.17 AM.png

Reactions: Jaff
You sound as if you think Tesla should have built a supercharger everywhere already. That's just not reality. It's amazing how big the supercharger network is already-- no other companies have such a network-- but it's still a work in progress. If you look at Tesla's map you will see that a supercharger is planned for Tucson this year, and others on I-10 to connect it to Texas. But there are many ways to charge besides supercharging. Have you looked into charging where you're staying in Tucson? I see several hotels have J1772s or HPWCs. If you're staying at a friend's house you could plug into 120V there if there isn't a convenient dryer outlet. Or you may want to buy a CHAdeMO adapter-- there are several CHAdeMO DC charging stations in Tucson.

The trip planners you describe are fine for superchargers, but that's just a small subset of charging stations. You need to look on Plugshare to see all the CHAdeMO stations and level 2 charging wherever you're going. Don't just depend on superchargers.
After re-reading my post, it seems that the "tongue in cheek" complaining that I was trying to achieve fell flat. Trust me when I say I am very happy with the supercharger network...I have one just a few miles from my house in south Florida and many others in every direction within a 200 mile circle. I was just surprised that Tucson got left behind. I should have just asked for suggestions for charging near my destination .

Reactions: dhanson865
I just made a trip from Phoenix, Arizona to Austin, Texas. Since there were no superchargers on the direct route, I ended up going around and adding over 300 miles to the trip. It took me 25 hours. I used plugshare to see if I could do the direct route, but it had over 13 hours of non supercharging time and would have taken me 30 hours. I am really happy that they are adding superchargers to that route by the end of the year. We are living on the bleeding edge - lucky for us, we drive incredible machines...

Brent

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
Well, to the critics.....clearly they know that a SC is needed in Tucson plus finalizing the gaps in I10.....as a SW Fl resident I understand the OP's frustration.....

To be clear, there are no critics when it comes to population-center siperchargers or any specific non-supercharger route. There are just people who make a more wholistic assessment of the ever-growing supercharging network.

• Disagree
Reactions: X Fan
To be clear, there are no critics when it comes to population-center siperchargers or any specific non-supercharger route. There are just people who make a more wholistic assessment of the ever-growing supercharging network.

translated for those "just people": to be where it's convenient for them.......

btw: as smaller vehicles, I wonder if the 3's will use the "siperchargers" network? ;)

translated for those "just people": to be where it's convenient for them.......

You don't need to frame someone's intent as selfish just because they challenge your narrative of the supercharger network buildout.

There are many reasons why there are holes in the supercharging network, some of them have nothing to do with network demand and/or tesla density. Tucson will be supercharger soon. Be patient.

• Disagree
Reactions: X Fan
You don't need to frame someone's intent as selfish just because they challenge your narrative of the supercharger network buildout.

There are many reasons why there are holes in the supercharging network, some of them have nothing to do with network demand and/or tesla density. Tucson will be supercharger soon. Be patient.

Thanks for the obvious pops..,,

• Disagree
Reactions: IdaX and bxr140