TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What the $#@$# is going on with Model X custom orders

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by alphainfinity, Aug 12, 2019.

1. alphainfinity

alphainfinity Member

I placed an order almost two weeks ago and still no VIN. I looked at the tracking sheet and I am apparently not alone. Does anybody have any insight to what might be causing the delay? When I placed my order, I put in my location and the ETA for delivery was two weeks. Heck, you can go and custom build one today and the site will say the same thing.

Without a VIN Tesla is unable to complete my trade appraisal. They are also unable to generate a PO without a VIN. That also means that I can't begin the financing process with my credit union until I have a PO. I understand that this is not your average car buying process and some things will be different. If Tesla set's the expectation during the purchase process that I will have my car in two weeks, I expect them to stick with that or to at least explain why there is a delay. Tesla advisers don't have any "visibility" to when, how or if the VIN will be generated.

2. DDarrow

DDarrow Member

Hang tight. You'll probably have it very soon. I too went just over 2 weeks before getting a VIN, but once it was assigned the rest of the process went surprisingly fast.

• Disagree x 1
  3. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

Agreed. I had the car three days after the VIN was assigned.

4. Peeyar

Peeyar Member

Ordered 7/27 and until this day no vin assigned. I feel fine now knowing that there are a lot of us waiting.

5. ericmager

ericmager New Member

Ordered 8/7 and nothing yet.

6. Freeseframe

Freeseframe New Member

Interesting. I took the plunge on Saturday, 8/3 and got a call from Kansas City SC on Wednesday 8/7 that my X just came off the line and will be delivered by 8/14 to KC. I am planning to pick up Saturday 8/17. I went with Pearl White, LR, 6 Seater, FSD so probably a commonly produced combination. I’m sure there’s a method to the madness.

7. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Tesla build cars in batches by region. US is different batch than Europe (except the UK), Australia, NZ, UK different again, ... It may be they are working on non-US regions.

Be thankful this is not Feb 2018 when I ordered and got car on May 30. 2018. VIN took 2 months, so got it mid April. Was not scheduled for build until early May.

And if you financing, in form, through Tesla there is a 30 day expiration. Don't sign everything until you are sure the car will be ready for pickup in the window, or else they may have to restart paperwork.

• Like x 1
  8. bxr140

bxr140 Active Member

Is there such thing as a non-custom order? :oops:

9. ReyesOzaeta

ReyesOzaeta Member

I ordered 7/27/19 in Pittsburgh. MX long range, white exterior, white interior, 7 seater. It’s over 2 weeks now... been looking online in my account constantly ...still no VIN

10. alcibiades

alcibiades Member

They likely build certain configs and match customers to them. If you order a config that isn't already slotted into the batch production lineup, your wait can be radically different. If I wanted tan seats instead of white, I could have a car today, e.g.

11. jimbo69ny

jimbo69ny Member

Yes you can buy one thats already built. Sometimes you get slight discounts on them.

12. jimbo69ny

jimbo69ny Member

I ordered on 8/11 and I still havent been approved for financing, no vin yet, and it said delivery time was going to be 3 weeks. I am in Central NY.
    I am hoping to have it in time for the National Drive Electric Week car shows on Sept 14th. Do I have a chance?

13. roopesh

roopesh Member

In the past when these kinds of delays occurred, it meant some refresh/update was about to be announced. I've been holding off waiting for any refresh announcement, so here's hoping....

14. alphainfinity

alphainfinity Member

I changed my order from a 5 to a 7 seater to get the supplimental hvac vents in the rear. I am probably doomed to wait another 2-4 weeks now for a Vin. :(

15. K2500Z71

K2500Z71 Member

I did the very same thing (and glad I did). Original 5 seat order went in on 7/20. Changed to 7 seat on 7/24, delivered to dealer 8/8, drove home 8/11

16. jimbo69ny

jimbo69ny Member

I actually just changed from a 6 seater to 7. Cheaper and I think it will work just as good.

17. alphainfinity

alphainfinity Member

#17 alphainfinity, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    I read too many reviews of the 5 seater not cooling properly in the back. I think we get the best of both worlds with the 7 seater. My 2 year old is not very patient with being too hot or cold. Great cooling/heating and great cargo capacity.

18. Peeyar

Peeyar Member

6 seater is way more confortable than 7 seater. Even adults can sit comfortably in the 3rd row not to mention stretching your legs in the back.

19. alphainfinity

alphainfinity Member

#19 alphainfinity, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    That may be true but we rarely carry full sized adults in the back and it wasn't worth the additional 3 grand. Plus you LOSE the ability to fold down the seats for max cargo with the 6 seater. Plus my puppies won't fit in their medium sized dog crates in the back with the 6 seater.

Take a look at what the 7 seater can do from a storage perspective:

20. Peeyar

Peeyar Member

It depends on whats your priority. Whether your want maximum comfort or storage. You can still fold the 3rd row in a 6 seater x.

• Like x 1