Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the $#@$# is going on with Model X custom orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

alphainfinity

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2019
Kalispell
I placed an order almost two weeks ago and still no VIN. I looked at the tracking sheet and I am apparently not alone. Does anybody have any insight to what might be causing the delay? When I placed my order, I put in my location and the ETA for delivery was two weeks. Heck, you can go and custom build one today and the site will say the same thing.

Without a VIN Tesla is unable to complete my trade appraisal. They are also unable to generate a PO without a VIN. That also means that I can't begin the financing process with my credit union until I have a PO. I understand that this is not your average car buying process and some things will be different. If Tesla set's the expectation during the purchase process that I will have my car in two weeks, I expect them to stick with that or to at least explain why there is a delay. Tesla advisers don't have any "visibility" to when, how or if the VIN will be generated.

Interesting. I took the plunge on Saturday, 8/3 and got a call from Kansas City SC on Wednesday 8/7 that my X just came off the line and will be delivered by 8/14 to KC. I am planning to pick up Saturday 8/17. I went with Pearl White, LR, 6 Seater, FSD so probably a commonly produced combination. I’m sure there’s a method to the madness.

I placed an order almost two weeks ago and still no VIN. I looked at the tracking sheet and I am apparently not alone. Does anybody have any insight to what might be causing the delay? When I placed my order, I put in my location and the ETA for delivery was two weeks. Heck, you can go and custom build one today and the site will say the same thing.

Without a VIN Tesla is unable to complete my trade appraisal. They are also unable to generate a PO without a VIN. That also means that I can't begin the financing process with my credit union until I have a PO. I understand that this is not your average car buying process and some things will be different. If Tesla set's the expectation during the purchase process that I will have my car in two weeks, I expect them to stick with that or to at least explain why there is a delay. Tesla advisers don't have any "visibility" to when, how or if the VIN will be generated.

Tesla build cars in batches by region. US is different batch than Europe (except the UK), Australia, NZ, UK different again, ... It may be they are working on non-US regions.

Be thankful this is not Feb 2018 when I ordered and got car on May 30. 2018. VIN took 2 months, so got it mid April. Was not scheduled for build until early May.

And if you financing, in form, through Tesla there is a 30 day expiration. Don't sign everything until you are sure the car will be ready for pickup in the window, or else they may have to restart paperwork.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Interesting. I took the plunge on Saturday, 8/3 and got a call from Kansas City SC on Wednesday 8/7 that my X just came off the line and will be delivered by 8/14 to KC. I am planning to pick up Saturday 8/17. I went with Pearl White, LR, 6 Seater, FSD so probably a commonly produced combination. I’m sure there’s a method to the madness.
They likely build certain configs and match customers to them. If you order a config that isn't already slotted into the batch production lineup, your wait can be radically different. If I wanted tan seats instead of white, I could have a car today, e.g.

I ordered on 8/11 and I still havent been approved for financing, no vin yet, and it said delivery time was going to be 3 weeks. I am in Central NY.
I am hoping to have it in time for the National Drive Electric Week car shows on Sept 14th. Do I have a chance?

I read too many reviews of the 5 seater not cooling properly in the back. I think we get the best of both worlds with the 7 seater. My 2 year old is not very patient with being too hot or cold. Great cooling/heating and great cargo capacity.

Last edited:
6 seater is way more confortable than 7 seater. Even adults can sit comfortably in the 3rd row not to mention stretching your legs in the back.

That may be true but we rarely carry full sized adults in the back and it wasn't worth the additional 3 grand. Plus you LOSE the ability to fold down the seats for max cargo with the 6 seater. Plus my puppies won't fit in their medium sized dog crates in the back with the 6 seater.

Take a look at what the 7 seater can do from a storage perspective:

Last edited: