Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the $#@$# is going on with Model X custom orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So on Saturday I got a text to select my delivery date with the option being Tuesday or Wednesday. I chose Wednesday they they called me on Tuesday to cancel and reschedule for Thursday fine... then they called on Wednesday to confirm my appointment for Thursday but also told me the car is ready that I could come pick it up. Unfortunately my wife was at work so I kept Thursday 5pm appointment. So today my wife and I drive over 45 min. with traffic we show up at 4:55 check in they tell us to wait in the lounge. A few moments later my sales guy comes out and tells us they are so sorry the car isn’t ready to be delivered we will need to come back in Saturday. Needless to say my wife and I are extremely upset, not because the car wasn’t ready but the hour and a half we waisted when they could have just called me. So we shall see what happens on Saturday...

So on Saturday I got a text to select my delivery date with the option being Tuesday or Wednesday. I chose Wednesday they they called me on Tuesday to cancel and reschedule for Thursday fine... then they called on Wednesday to confirm my appointment for Thursday but also told me the car is ready that I could come pick it up. Unfortunately my wife was at work so I kept Thursday 5pm appointment. So today my wife and I drive over 45 min. with traffic we show up at 4:55 check in they tell us to wait in the lounge. A few moments later my sales guy comes out and tells us they are so sorry the car isn’t ready to be delivered we will need to come back in Saturday. Needless to say my wife and I are extremely upset, not because the car wasn’t ready but the hour and a half we waisted when they could have just called me. So we shall see what happens on Saturday...
It sounded exactly like my situation. On my 3rd appointment, they actually have the car but the fitment was horrible. I don't mind taking it but they said everything is within specs meaning they won't fix it. I refused delivery. They rescheduled to Saturday without checking with me. Since I want the darn car so bad, I just have to give Tesla priority on my calendar and see if they actually fix the issues.
A few things that I learned through this process.
1. No QC at the pickup center. To me, QC means spending an hour or two to go over the car before hand it to customer. If they did QC, they should know the car is ready before schedule customer for pick up. Lots of posts on here got rescheduled multiple times. Either Car is in transit, found problem last minutes, overbooked, etc.
2. They don't care about their customers, even on 100K car customers. How many of us frustrated with Tesla from the ordering process to delivery. When you order, it said 2 weeks on the web site, 3-4 weeks passed and no call, no text, nothing. We have to dig through the source code try to find our VIN and guess the delivery day. When we get a text for delivery, we get excited, then find out has to reschedule.
3. Secret Promo - Then Tesla has this promo that's not advertise on their website and only some SC know about. A few SC gave out the wrong information conflicting with other SC like the discount not just on inventory cars, but also on custom orders. Tesla then retracted the discount said it was a mistake, and ended the promo, just in 3 days.
4. Fitment - On delivery day, most of us print out a check list to make sure the car is in good condition and hope for the best, on a 100K car !

I've purchased many cars in the past but by far, this is the most frustrating process I've experienced. But hey, there is no other 3 row EV cars out there and that's why we're here.

On Monday I received a home delivery date for today, at 6am, but found it strange I didn't get any other calls or texts confirming I'd be there. Woke up extra early today in case they called ahead of time to confirm - it's already 8am here and I've yet to get a call or text, let alone have the car delivered. Very frustrating how little communication there is!

Custom ordered.
Damn make sure you get everything you didn’t like noted and documented with photos. Worst comes to worse you could always email the documentation to [email protected] and see if they fix it (if they refuse)... what I’ve learned is they always say “it’s within specifications” until you continually show them it’s not. They told me my CPO model x falcon doors are within spec - until I showed them 3x it wasn’t. Now they are buying it back and moving the proceeds to my new X. Hate to say it but - this is what happens when you don’t invest in customer service and their culture (from some friends who used to work there is) promotes lack of accountability. Hopefully they get this turned around for the last 4 days of the quarter. Hang in there everyone.

On Monday I received a home delivery date for today, at 6am, but found it strange I didn't get any other calls or texts confirming I'd be there. Woke up extra early today in case they called ahead of time to confirm - it's already 8am here and I've yet to get a call or text, let alone have the car delivered. Very frustrating how little communication there is!
In my experience you have to text the DA, they won’t reach out to you.

My OA told me they had a car almost exactly to what I ordered except it was black instead of pearl multi-coat white. He could match me for delivery tomorrow but I had to pay an extra $1k for the black color. I told him no thanks- I don’t want to pay for a color I didn’t choose.

Am I crazy or just rational?

They do not respond until they need to reach out to you. No great buying experience at all.
Exactly. SC supposed to call me yesterday. Nothing. I called them twice today and no one picked up and had to leave two messages. No one calls back and I'm supposed to pick up my delivery tomorrow at 10. Zero communication and they can only call you but you cannot call them.

My OA told me they had a car almost exactly to what I ordered except it was black instead of pearl multi-coat white. He could match me for delivery tomorrow but I had to pay an extra $1k for the black color. I told him no thanks- I don’t want to pay for a color I didn’t choose.

Am I crazy or just rational?
Unless Black is your 2nd choice, otherwise I'd rather pay extra for the color that I want.

Exactly. SC supposed to call me yesterday. Nothing. I called them twice today and no one picked up and had to leave two messages. No one calls back and I'm supposed to pick up my delivery tomorrow at 10. Zero communication and they can only call you but you cannot call them.
If your car going to deliver today, you can call by end of the day if not it's ready. I did home delivery so someone texts me before they are on their way.

Have you all look at Lucid Air?
I will look into it when I see one on the street. Right now, too many "future/coming/concept" car talk that maybe more than a few years away. Back in 2018, I saw a production car at the autoshow and it supposed to be available 1st quarter of this year. It's 4th quarter 2019 and none have shown up on the dealership lot yet. Lucid said 2020 but I doubted. Nice car though.