TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What the $#@$# is going on with Model X custom orders

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by alphainfinity, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Zorg

Zorg Member

That's my guess as well. Maybe I should buy some stock

2. Waverider

Waverider Member

My growing fear now is that they're going to cut corners to fulfill all these orders and I'm going to be stuck dealing with an unfinished car that needs to be taken back to a service center to correct all the production flaws.

• Like x 1
  3. alphainfinity

alphainfinity Member

Well folks it FINALLY happened. I received a VIN from my DA. Estimated delivery day is September 19.

• Like x 1
  4. jychen6

jychen6 Member

I have the same exact set up as you. I purposely orderd black in hopes of shortening the wait time. After several emails back and forth, I finally got a VIN on Saturday while my order date was 8/15.

If for some reason delivery isn't within 2 weeks, I'll be looking else where. I wouldn't mind the wait but not knowing is the WORST!

5. Waverider

Waverider Member

You should plan on a 6-7 week wait.

6. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Traditional car dealerships also go through this, their cars get damaged in transit as well. They get fixed before they are listed on the lot, so the customer never knows about it.
    If you were to custom order a bmw at your local dealer and it was damaged in transit you’ll be going through the same thing as with teslas.

7. jerseygirl18

jerseygirl18 jersey girl

OK, thanx you made me feel better...generally never custom order . Never wait this long either! it's been an experience..

• Like x 1
  8. jerseygirl18

jerseygirl18 jersey girl

breaking bad, luv the name!!

• Love x 1
  9. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Yay! Another BB fan!

• Like x 1
  10. jerseygirl18

jerseygirl18 jersey girl

my favorite ALL time series, EVER!! luv Brian Cranston too

• Love x 1
  11. Waverider

Waverider Member

Just got VIN and delivery email! Delivery 9/12 but I’m going to have to try and move it to the weekend. “Only” 5 weeks...

• Like x 1
  12. Scott Fairchild

Time to secure a new transport company. What is so hard about backing a car off the truck?? Geez.

• Like x 1
  13. NickFie

NickFie Member

End of quarter features x-US production until the ships won’t arrive in time. Then longer delivery time customers (East Coast), working west.

I’ve seen quarters where a California resident could order in September and pick up in Fremont before month-end.

14. jychen6

jychen6 Member

Picking up the car tomorrow. Ordered 8/15. X / LR / Black-White / 6 seater / 20inch wheels

15. Zorg

Zorg Member

24 hours til delivery. Excitement is building!!

• Like x 1
  16. jerseygirl18

jerseygirl18 jersey girl

i'm with you on that!!!

• Like x 1
  17. shinytop

shinytop Member

How about scheduled delivery to my door in 9 minutes?

• Like x 1
  18. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

As a benchmark, my custom ordered BMW X3 took 12 weeks (checked every option box except 2!). My custom ordered X took 14 weeks. And I live 15 miles from the factory and picked up at the Deliver Center 2 miles from the factory.

Tesla builds cars in batches by region. So one batch may be for the EU, another for Asia, ..... and the windows for each batch contracts or expands based on order volume. The 2 weeks on the website is a best case estimate.

19. jerseygirl18

jerseygirl18 jersey girl

#139 jerseygirl18, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    interesting story...SC called my hubs today.."Car is ready, can you pick up today vs tomorrow?"
    he had an "ultra important golf tournament" and had to leave by 12....all he had to do was write a check, then i could take over we figured. We called back worked out the timing, but i got on fone and said i want to inspect the car before any funds are exchanged...that was ok" TILL she called back & said tomorrow was better they had to prep the car & wash it >>>>C'mon What is the deal??? it is either ready for an inexperienced , all to eager & enthusiastic Tesla purchaser or if you have some experience at a car dealership & are better informed thanks to this Forum..NO!! it's getting inspected!! Hmmmm.Well, then it's gotta get prepped??? They also could have delivered to our hse. but he had to pay for it then get it delivered...No dice!!

20. slivits

slivits New Member

Ordered 8/20. X / LR / Blue/Black Interior / 5 seater / 20inch wheels

LA area...

Haven't heard a thing. Has anyone had any success in doing anything that can help move things along?