Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the $#@$# is going on with Model X custom orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ETA is Estimated Time of Arrival. Just an educated guess as to when they can get a car to you.
Some configurations take more time than others, as Tesla now batch produces their cars.

They will let you know when a VIN is assigned to you. Give you time to finalize financing etc.

I ordered my MX right after test driving in a SC in Pittsburgh on 7/27/19. It’s a LR white with white interior 7 seats and no FSD. It’s going on 3 weeks now and no Vin yet. I will just add the FSD when it fully reliable and ready for public. I figured even if the price is higher you maybe able to tax deduct it as a business expense when you sign up for the Robotaxi fleet? Paying for 6k upfront and not being able to use it is not reasonable for me. And, if it’s under financing means you are already paying more than 6k at the end of your terms. Who knows... Tesla might lower the price for it in the future, thats Tesla’s trend.

I skipped it as well. There are tons of threads where Tesla has deeply discounted FSD. It didn't make sense to finance it, even at 1.99%.

Has anybody on the order sheet recieved a VIN and just not updated the sheet? It looks like there are 13 of us with Late July and August orders with no VIN.

Last edited:
The online ordering delivery estimates are way off. Ordered and confirmed 8/5 on west coast. LR / Red Exterior / Black Interior/ 7 seats / FSD. My SA just texted to tell me that the delivery estimate is 09/21 even though the online system still says 2 weeks estimate for the same configuration.

I just spoke with the SA as to why its taking so long. He explained that Tesla is focussing on overseas orders at the moment. They are still producing the cars for US but at a slower rate. That is applicable to all the orders in US and not just a particular configuration. I believe what he is saying because he has been quite honest in all the communication. So I think there isn't any other choice but to wait. At this point, even if a car pops up in the inventory, I am just going to wait for mine to be produced (I will just feel better that way, hehe).

No offense, and I appreciate you posting here, but I don’t believe your SA. Take a look at Model S orders on the tracking sheet. Those orders are getting VIN numbers VERY quickly. Something else is going on with the X orders.
You may be right. Or it is possible that Model X production is slow for US. If you look at the inventory from Fremont Delivery Hub, there are barely any cars with 7 seat configurations. Either way, I have made peace that it won't happen before next month. he he.

Between the electrician being a jerk about installing the 14-50 outlet in the garage and little to no communication from Tesla, my wife is rapidly losing what little motivation she had to go along with this purchase. :(

My wife is not liking this process either. I think she expected we would have had this wrapped up a few weeks ago. Has ANYBODY who ordered in late July received a VIN? Have you updated the tracking sheet?

Good News!!!! I just got the long awaited text for delivery schedule. I was given a choice between 8/29 and 8/30/19. Just to recap:
Order date: 7/27
Order Location: Pittsburgh Pa
Confirmation:7/27
Delivery: 8/29 or 8/30
Description: MX LR white/white 7seater
Note: Still No VIN assigned on my account

Hope the vehicle have no issues during delivery

Reactions: jboy210