Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the $#@$# is going on with Model X custom orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya I called, order placed July 31st, and still no VIN. This buying process has been TERRIBLE. We are seriously considering cancelling our order and keeping the Benz. If they are unable to communicate honestly with us about order time to delivery, and it sounds like they are providing terrible customer service post delivery, it really makes us think twice about spending money with this company. Buying a car shouldn't take this long, it shouldn't be this difficult and they need to seriously revamp their communications.

No excuse for Tesla, and I agree they should put more resources so that their customers are well informed - to meet, or at least manage expectations.

All I can say is be more patient, expect few more weeks before first sign of a vehicle assigned to you - call if you must know if there's any progress.

If that fails, and you are at your set deadline - I say look elsewhere.

Although I have a VIN and delivery date - I expect things to change, for worse even.

Goodluck, hopefully things workout in your favor.

PS: I actually Twitted Elon yesterday, about how s#!++! their customer service is - linking one of the threads here. I expect no response from Tesla.

I've tried calling this number a few times and end up getting routed to a voicemail that has yet to call me back. Ordered on 8/17 black / black 20", confirmed same day, haven't heard a peep from Tesla since. I've submitted tickets through the site as well. Agree with alphainfinity that any amount of communication would be nice, I get more updates when I order takeout than I have with this $100k car.

When prompted, try inputting another Zip Code other than yours. There is always someone when I put 89143 (Las Vegas) as the location. They may not be as busy as your actual location - that a person actually pick up calls.

I am sure they can access info (yours) even if your not picking up the X from Nevada.

My SA just called to let me know that they are expecting 100 vehicles in Littleton by the middle of the month. Mine should be one of those. They will not assign me a VIN until they have had a chance to inspect the Model X that was built for me, and verify that it has not been damaged in transit. So, if the news is good I should have a VIN sometime the week of September 15th.

Okay.... a different SA from Las Vegas just emailed me. He confirmed that my X should show up in Littleton middle of the month. The good thing is he gave me a VIN# !!!!

If you ordered in early August, you may find your VIN in the following steps using a desktop web-browser, say Chrome and Firefox (Safari need more settings),
1, go to your Tesla Account, and click "Manage" to go the details of your Model X page, the one shows you the "Next step", "Completed Tasks", etc.
2, right click the webpage, select "View Page Source" in the pop-up menu;
3, search in the source code with "VIN", go through all of them, probably you can find the VIN that does not shown in your account...

I found my VIN this way, even though the webpage does not show any VIN info...

Finally got a chat window to pop up on the Tesla page and they directed me to call the delivery center in Burbank. The guy there told me that my car still didn't have a VIN assigned, but he'd been told that all the orders that had been placed at this point should be fulfilled by the end of the month. So a shred of hope for everyone there. (Don't hate me if this is a lie)

Reactions: RoBoRaT
If you ordered in early August, you may find your VIN in the following steps using a desktop web-browser, say Chrome and Firefox (Safari need more settings),
1, go to your Tesla Account, and click "Manage" to go the details of your Model X page, the one shows you the "Next step", "Completed Tasks", etc.
2, right click the webpage, select "View Page Source" in the pop-up menu;
3, search in the source code with "VIN", go through all of them, probably you can find the VIN that does not shown in your account...

I found my VIN this way, even though the webpage does not show any VIN info...
:null :(

For those not aware once you are on the source code page you can press F3 to get a search box and type in "vin".

@barlowx and @shinytop - you guys are right, there is the VIN that was not shown in the page but hidden in the source code.

It matches the VIN provided by the Tesla rep over the phone when I called earlier today.

FYI for other peeps:
It's faster to narrow down the VIN by searching 5YJX - the first 4 characters of Tesla Model X VINs.
20190906_224956.jpg

Ordered my MX LR on 8/14 in the Bay Area.

As of yesterday (first time I checked) I can see a VIN in the source code, serial number in the 2028XX range. Called the 800 number for delivery yesterday and the nice person on the phone had no clue about a VIN being assigned. I bet she looks at the same screen we do.

Can't wait!

• Funny
Reactions: RoBoRaT
No excuse for Tesla, and I agree they should put more resources so that their customers are well informed - to meet, or at least manage expectations.

All I can say is be more patient, expect few more weeks before first sign of a vehicle assigned to you - call if you must know if there's any progress.

If that fails, and you are at your set deadline - I say look elsewhere.

Although I have a VIN and delivery date - I expect things to change, for worse even.

Goodluck, hopefully things workout in your favor.

PS: I actually Twitted Elon yesterday, about how s#!++! their customer service is - linking one of the threads here. I expect no response from Tesla.
What’s interesting is I think they have tried to model after APPLE and that’s where they fall apart particularly poorly in the customer service and the communication and that’s one of the best things about Apple deer customer service it is never ever disappointed and always get stronger and better and better take note Elon

Okay.... a different SA from Las Vegas just emailed me. He confirmed that my X should show up in Littleton middle of the month. The good thing is he gave me a VIN# !!!!
I don’t get this business about cars getting damaged in transport there are more stories about that on this forum it’s as if these cars went to war I never heard of this before and to the degree that it’s mentioned it’s ridiculous

where ru/ What did you order that takes so long
I’ll be picking up from the Fremont delivery center right by the factory most likely. My advisor hasn’t really given me anything informative about why it’s taking so long. At best she seems as clueless as I am. There may be a huge order surge of white paint cars taking advantage of free supercharging. They’re also delivering to more easterly destinations first too it appears.

I’ll be picking up from the Fremont delivery center right by the factory most likely. My advisor hasn’t really given me anything informative about why it’s taking so long. At best she seems as clueless as I am. There may be a huge order surge of white paint cars taking advantage of free supercharging. They’re also delivering to more easterly destinations first too it appears.
I can’t disagree with what you’re suggesting I would say at this point I know more than everyone that works in the HP Illinois store about the MX. they Really have in my opinion a very strange recruiting profile...Some people are very helpful and know nothing other people are not very helpful and kno nothing and still other people are just standing around trying to look useful and are NOT! that is the sum total of the population that works in the HP Illinois store.EXCLUDING the service staff....Since I haven’t received my car I haven’t dealt with anyone back in service
Until that delivery which is supposed to be this Friday which also happens to be Friday the 13th so you know where my expectations are of that....we do live east of California which I think that’s where the rest of the country is and we’ll see if the delivery occurs this Friday.....good luck to you