Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the $#@$# is going on with Model X custom orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I originally ordered my red 5 seat cream LR X on August 6th, 2019. Estimated delivery of two weeks.
I was finally given a VIN by the SA on September 6th, 2019 and told the car was expected to arrive in Littleton, Co on September 14th.
I have just been told there was a "transit delay, probably due to weather" which has delayed the arrival in Littleton by another week.
At this rate is is going to be two months, instead of the "Estimated" two weeks before I get my Model X.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I am really jealous of those who have already received their cars. Especially those who order long after I did.

How about this BS from the delivery center? Two hours before my appointment and ready to head down to pick up the car today, the SC called and said they found a crack on the glass roof so they're now ordering parts. I got a call earlier in the week that they wanted me to pick up ASAP because they don't want to hold on to the car more than 7 days at the center. I told them not on weekdays and wanted Saturday but they said no. It has to be Friday the latest. Fine, so I picked 5pm due to work schedule. They had the whole week to do QC and instead, waited to last minutes to do QC. This is BS. I already looking for ways to get out but now they're giving me another reason to do so. The sad thing is they already got all my money. Will sleep on it this weekend and see if I want to get out or not. My 1st Tesla and don't have good impression already. If this is what they do to me before picking up a 100K car, wonder how they will treat me afterward. I'm beginning to think that all the service complains on here are accurate. Unbelievable!

• Informative
Reactions: Petrocelli
How about this BS from the delivery center? Two hours before my appointment and ready to head down to pick up the car today, the SC called and said they found a crack on the glass roof so they're now ordering parts. I got a call earlier in the week that they wanted me to pick up ASAP because they don't want to hold on to the car more than 7 days at the center. I told them not on weekdays and wanted Saturday but they said no. It has to be Friday the latest. Fine, so I picked 5pm due to work schedule. They had the whole week to do QC and instead, waited to last minutes to do QC. This is BS. I already looking for ways to get out but now they're giving me another reason to do so. The sad thing is they already got all my money. Will sleep on it this weekend and see if I want to get out or not. My 1st Tesla and don't have good impression already. If this is what they do to me before picking up a 100K car, wonder how they will treat me afterward. I'm beginning to think that all the service complains on here are accurate. Unbelievable!

When we except an inventory car we risk the chance having minor issues. This crack could have been there the whole time and was overlooked in the frenzy to meet the 3rd quarter numbers. If i am not mistaken you mentioned in an earlier post you excepted a discount, if its just a repair they can handle it and you still got your discounted deal,..

When we except an inventory car we risk the chance having minor issues. This crack could have been there the whole time and was overlooked in the frenzy to meet the 3rd quarter numbers. If i am not mistaken you mentioned in an earlier post you excepted a discount, if its just a repair they can handle it and you still got your discounted deal,..
Correct, I switched from a custom order to an inventory car but the car only has 13 miles, which I assumed it's a brand new car and not ones with 500+ miles showroom or demo cars. My complain is they had a week to perform QC, why rush me at the beginning and not ready on their end.

I am picking up mine tomorrow at Costa Mesa hoping i dont have any issues its also an inventory. I called earlier and they told me it has already been inspected twice and will be again inspected at delivery prep tomorrow morning I hope I have better luck.

Reactions: AuPanda
I am awaiting delivery of a new Model X. Ordered on September 7. Last evening my account page changed asking for my insurance information. I am able to plug all of the information in to the page (including a .jpg of my proof of insurance) but the "submit" button is non-responsive. I even tried my work computer this morning with the same result. Has anyone else had this experience? If so, how did you get around it? My VIN also appeared last evening in the source code but no word on a delivery date.
I had a similar experience prior to delivery. The insurance information popped back up on the account page about 1-1.5weeks prior to delivery. I was able to resubmit the info but the image showing my uploaded insurance pdf was always corrupted. When delivery (unexpectedly) came everything must have been fine cause my delivery advisor didn’t mention it.

I am awaiting delivery of a new Model X. Ordered on September 7. Last evening my account page changed asking for my insurance information. I am able to plug all of the information in to the page (including a .jpg of my proof of insurance) but the "submit" button is non-responsive. I even tried my work computer this morning with the same result. Has anyone else had this experience? If so, how did you get around it? My VIN also appeared last evening in the source code but no word on a delivery date.
The always ask insurance after you complete your profile. it doesn't mean your VIN is assigned. I've had my insurance entered for nearly 10 days

MLo1, my VIN was assigned on Thursday of this week. Not only is it in the source code it was also confirmed by my OA. I got the insurance info straightened out. My OA thought the X should be built yesterday or today. Anticipating delivery before the end of the quarter.

MLo1, my VIN was assigned on Thursday of this week. Not only is it in the source code it was also confirmed by my OA. I got the insurance info straightened out. My OA thought the X should be built yesterday or today. Anticipating delivery before the end of the quarter.
Congrats! Still waiting for a VIN - super frustrating as the site said within 2 weeks when I ordered. It’s now day 19 and still no VIN. My advisor is claimingbtheybwaitbtile the very end of the quarter for Bay Area deliveries because we are so close to factory- here’s hoping for a free performance upgrade so they can make quarterly deliveries

I originally ordered my red 5 seat cream LR X on August 6th, 2019. Estimated delivery of two weeks.
I was finally given a VIN by the SA on September 6th, 2019 and told the car was expected to arrive in Littleton, Co on September 14th.
I have just been told there was a "transit delay, probably due to weather" which has delayed the arrival in Littleton by another week.
At this rate is is going to be two months, instead of the "Estimated" two weeks before I get my Model X.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
well, i can tell you it is worth the wait..albeit anxiety driven!!

Reactions: MLo1
The “free upgrades” are done. There is a car in inventory that has the upgraded black and silver slipstream rims (but everything else I want) - but they want me to pay for that upgrade if I want that car. Thought about it for half a second before I felt that was like forcing me into an upgrade I didn’t want. Guess I’ll wait

Reactions: Vegas Shuffle
The “free upgrades” are done. There is a car in inventory that has the upgraded black and silver slipstream rims (but everything else I want) - but they want me to pay for that upgrade if I want that car. Thought about it for half a second before I felt that was like forcing me into an upgrade I didn’t want. Guess I’ll wait
Definitely not worth it they are the same wheels with a little bit of paint on them...

Same thing on my Model 3 delivery last year (June). At least it was only bumper damage - I really think they were behind production schedule and making up excuses to delay me 3 days. Those were production hell days. But yeah thats total BS that they missed a crack in glass that'll take months to replace.

As the OP I thought I should get everybody up to date on my situation. Delivery was supposed to be completed by the 19nth and was pushed. My DA called Friday and said they found a carrier and that the car would be delivered Saturday. We are super excited because this saga started back in July, we are down to one vehicle because we have a trade-in. Saturday rolls by and no call from the carrier. I contacted my DA and he said the carrier contact would be imminent and that the vehicle is en route. Sunday rolls by, no carrier call, delivery department is closed and no freaking clue where my X is or when it will be here. My wife is starting to question my intelligence for buying a car from this company. It is not every day when you are faced with spending 90 grand on something and the company can't get your product to you on time and doesn't know exactly where it is! If I don't receive it soon, we will be faced with making a car payment on the one we traded in AND the new one(yes the one we don't have possession of and have not laid eyes on yet).

The experience starting day one has been pretty bad. I am not trying to lay blame at one person, I think the problems here are process related. My SA and DA have tried to help when they can but honestly, they are not privy to all of the critical information for some reason. So, the car was paid for a week ago tomorrow and all paperwork was completed. The X is somewhere between here and Seattle.

:mad:

Last edited:
Guess I'm not the only one. Just got a call half an hour ago and said they needed a few more days longer to fix it "right". I think this is just Tesla's move to force us pay it in full before end of 3rd quarter and get us the car way later. It doesn't matter now that they already have our money and they can report that as part of their 3rd quarter sales, regardless whether we get our cars or not. I've purchased many cars in the past and this is the first time I paid 100K+ upfront and not getting the car.
Is this what everyone calls "Tesla Experience"? lol.

Guess I'm not the only one. Just got a call half an hour ago and said they needed a few more days longer to fix it "right". I think this is just Tesla's move to force us pay it in full before end of 3rd quarter and get us the car way later. It doesn't matter now that they already have our money and they can report that as part of their 3rd quarter sales, regardless whether we get our cars or not. I've purchased many cars in the past and this is the first time I paid 100K+ upfront and not getting the car.
Is this what everyone calls "Tesla Experience"? lol.
how did you pay everything up front & not take delivery of your car..if that's what you mean..then Why?

• Informative
Reactions: alphainfinity
how did you pay everything up front & not take delivery of your car..if that's what you mean..then Why?
Tesla scheduled for my pickup delivery last Friday. Login to Tesla website and did a direct wire transfer. I've not written a paper check for a long time and since Tesla allows for wire transfer and indicated on their site must paid in full before I can pick up the car.
Who knows they delayed my delivery, twice. How's everyone paid Tesla? write them a paper check at the time of pick up?