Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the new FASCIA reminds me of

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's very difficult to say based on those two pictures. Different angles, different lighting (both ambient and head lights/fogs turned on), different paint colors, missing pieces of the bumper, mis-aligned hood (maybe). Overall it's a very nice picture of the silver M3 and and very poor picture of the white one.

I'll wait until I see some professional pictures of an RC.
In the list you missed the camera distortion, but I largely agree.

Put the same MotorTrend photography team that took the original alpha photos and the results would be completely different.

Reactions: PaulJB
We had tremendously bad CGI renderings in the beginning.
Over emphasized, painted, too sharp exaggerated. Classical mistake.
This created the "duck face" vibe.

View attachment 228945

Then Elon took notice and probably feedbacked that to his design team

Then the official reveal came with the real thing. A cool athlete. Slim, sleek, elegant yet sporty.
No duckface in sight. Orders went through the roof.

View attachment 228948 View attachment 228949

Let alone the super cool "Motor Trend" photo session.
Everything made sense.

View attachment 228946
View attachment 228950
Don't agree with your characterization. All three of these examples are the same design, only different being CGI and colors.

Plenty of people hated the grille design at the unveiling:
Front End... Hmmmmmm

After the unveiling, Elon asked people for ideas to change the grille, since many people criticized it:
http://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-asked-the-tesla-faithful-how-to-make-the-mode-1768897141

Other than the nose cone and black trim ideas (emulating Model S), one of the most favorite is this which eliminated the downward crease lines:
This is how it should be....

View attachment 170271
The current design pretty much takes a hybrid between that and the old grille.

Then came the domesticated release candidates.
And now we got this letdown.
A fatty nose.
Too wide. Too unproportionized in the front. Everything tending to the sides. Practically shortening the car in a very, very unfavourable manner. Guinea pig comes to mind.
View attachment 228947

What we are facing reminds me of a deja vu of the Model X reveal and RC X we have now.
From a longer, sleeker Prototype to a fat cat. Again.
Last second corrections in major fields, good intentions but wrong execution.
They should fire their CGI team.
WTF.
As others put it, what you are seeing is camera distortion and the different angles. The only notable change is the different nose line. Use the same camera team/equipment, angles, and paint color on the two versions and I bet those are pretty much the sum of the changes on the front.