Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the Plaid needs to win at the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a 2021 model S Plaid and race it regularly at the drag strip. This car was made for drag racing hence Drag Strip Mode. If you own a Plaid and have not taken it drag racing its like owning a parachute only for the sake that you think you might jump too high at the trampoline park with your kids and it might come in handy one day.
The Plaid does a good job at the track but the software developers do not fully understand drag racing and that creates problems.
Here are the problems and the fixes. Im hoping I can get someone’s attention to address these with a software download before some of the Demon 170’s start showing up at the tracks, which actually may or may not happen considering how the dealerships are screwing all the people who are not ultra rich and have more money than common sense.

Problem- Fix
1) Launch mode takes too long. Staging lights on Christmas trees count down after 7 seconds and the Plaid takes approximately 10 seconds to complete launch mode
Fix: Shorten the time it takes to complete Launch Mode.
Fix: Add a Bump Box that can bump you into the staging beams while keeping you in Launch Mode- Do both Fixes.
2) The Plaid is not going to have enough horsepower and torque to beat the Demon 170 which has similar power but is much lighter.
Fix: A software download that can free up horsepower and torque based on your Track/GPS location (if liability is a concern)
3) Better Reaction Times-
Fix: A software based delay box that mimics a ICE car‘s Delay Box- for quick reaction times

that is it- its not much and the plaid would be whupping a lot more ass to include this new Dodge Demon.
What do you guys with racing experience or no experience think?
Suggestions?
BTW bumping your car into the staging beams like youtube‘s Tesla Racing Channel suggests is not reliable and can make you look really dump when you mess it up (people say you were sleeping at the light) and costing you a race.
Duane.
screenshot-www.tesla.com-2023.06.08-15_02_25.png

Plaid doesn't need much to win at the track for the casual customer aka 99.9% of their customer base. The car wasn't MADE for drag racing. Having 'drag strip mode' is literally a byproduct of every performance model S before it with Insane+/Ludacris+ 'launch mode'. All it's doing is enabling battery heating for performance and the cheetah stance for optimal launch. My 2015 P85D by your standards was made for the drag strip because it has a launch mode and does 1/2 those features in the 'drag strip mode'.
1- I don't think drag strip mode was made with the intention of heads up racing. It's warm the battery for best power output & cheetah mode to stage the car for the best launch possible that is all. Not to say they can't add those features but it's not what it's designed for.
2- You really think tesla is going to software unlock more magic power to beat a Dodge just for the some .01% of random racers? lol.
3- If you really want tesla to make your reaction times better why not hope the developers can make it auto launch for you based off the tree using the cameras?

1) I cant tell you if Drag racing was their main focus but the fact is the car is the most popular and hated at the drag strip-speaking from exp
2)Tesla has unlocked performance before and the Tesla geeks that predicted the car can do 220 mph and then it did also predicted up to 1500 Hp
3) A delay box is legal in most racing- Using the computer to control your launch is not legal for competition and most people would think that has gone too far- the car would be even more hated by more people. Delay boxes are acceptable and still require calibration and timing on the drivers part.
Have you raced at the track or any street racing?

Simple soft ware upgrades would make the car even more undefeated. I often race full blown race cars that come on trailers and aren’t even street legal. I know for most owners it sounds like Im asking a lot. For people that race its not much considering how limited the modifications for the car are-

Are you able to put it in track mode before you stage at the lights? The Is there a purpose for Track mode? Does it make the car quicker or change suspension settings? The Demon is a basically a factory competition car. like they used to build in the 60s.
Yes. Not sure what they are talking about there. Even when it changes the suspension, people do it all the time before the light.

Are you able to put it in track mode before you stage at the lights? The Is there a purpose for Track mode? Does it make the car quicker or change suspension settings? The Demon is a basically a factory competition car. like they used to build in the 60s.
It changes the suspension when you go into launch mode to transfer more weight to the rear end on a launch. Effectively loading the chassis to an extent if you want racing terminology for ICE cars. When you move the car at all, it instantly changes suspension config back to normal driving and it takes a little while to get completely back into launch mode.

So, he is asking for a bump box to allow him to break the second beam without unloading the chassis and waiting upwards of another 5-10 seconds for it to reinitiate...because you're going to piss people off in the other lane if you need a long time to stage since their car is getting extremely hot, extremely fast when they're staged, or you go deep and they have to rush in to stage.

You'll hear mixed reviews on what is and is not faster on a launch. On an unprepped surface, launch mode is 100% faster out of the hole. On a prepped track, it might be, or it might not be faster. One thing I believe is when it's launched after ready in drag mode, that the car's software allows for a little more wheel speed out of the hole and that reduces the potential for hitting traction control and being nerfed.

Plaid doesn't need much to win at the track for the casual customer aka 99.9% of their customer base. The car wasn't MADE for drag racing. Having 'drag strip mode' is literally a byproduct of every performance model S before it with Insane+/Ludacris+ 'launch mode'. All it's doing is enabling battery heating for performance and the cheetah stance for optimal launch. My 2015 P85D by your standards was made for the drag strip because it has a launch mode and does 1/2 those features in the 'drag strip mode'.
1- I don't think drag strip mode was made with the intention of heads up racing. It's warm the battery for best power output & cheetah mode to stage the car for the best launch possible that is all. Not to say they can't add those features but it's not what it's designed for.
2- You really think tesla is going to software unlock more magic power to beat a Dodge just for the some .01% of random racers? lol.
3- If you really want tesla to make your reaction times better why not hope the developers can make it auto launch for you based off the tree using the cameras?
Sad if that’s true 😬 Why buy a Plaid if not for HP and racing? Crazy to throw away $ if not going to use it for the purpose of a Plaid speed.. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I can’t afford to upgrade my MYP to a Plaid but definitely my main reason for the Performance model is to beat the Corvettes, Porsches, BMW’s Loud Mustangs, Chargers/Challenges and loud Japanese cars 🤣😂
Now retired but thats been my life passion.
I understand it’s not for everyone 👍🏻

Reactions: bb95570
I own a 2021 model S Plaid and race it regularly at the drag strip. This car was made for drag racing hence Drag Strip Mode. If you own a Plaid and have not taken it drag racing its like owning a parachute only for the sake that you think you might jump too high at the trampoline park with your kids and it might come in handy one day.
The Plaid does a good job at the track but the software developers do not fully understand drag racing and that creates problems.
Here are the problems and the fixes. Im hoping I can get someone’s attention to address these with a software download before some of the Demon 170’s start showing up at the tracks, which actually may or may not happen considering how the dealerships are screwing all the people who are not ultra rich and have more money than common sense.

Problem- Fix
1) Launch mode takes too long. Staging lights on Christmas trees count down after 7 seconds and the Plaid takes approximately 10 seconds to complete launch mode
Fix: Shorten the time it takes to complete Launch Mode.
Fix: Add a Bump Box that can bump you into the staging beams while keeping you in Launch Mode- Do both Fixes.
2) The Plaid is not going to have enough horsepower and torque to beat the Demon 170 which has similar power but is much lighter.
Fix: A software download that can free up horsepower and torque based on your Track/GPS location (if liability is a concern)
3) Better Reaction Times-
Fix: A software based delay box that mimics a ICE car‘s Delay Box- for quick reaction times

that is it- its not much and the plaid would be whupping a lot more ass to include this new Dodge Demon.
What do you guys with racing experience or no experience think?
Suggestions?
BTW bumping your car into the staging beams like youtube‘s Tesla Racing Channel suggests is not reliable and can make you look really dump when you mess it up (people say you were sleeping at the light) and costing you a race.
Duane.
I really crack up at people who buy an expensive 4X4 and then add on thousands of off road extras ( Lift, suspension, huge tires, halogen lights, tow bars) and never see a moment on a dirt road 😩🤦🏻🤣😂

Reactions: Nickos
Sad if that’s true 😬 Why buy a Plaid if not for HP and racing? Crazy to throw away $ if not going to use it for the purpose of a Plaid speed.. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I can’t afford to upgrade my MYP to a Plaid but definitely my main reason for the Performance model is to beat the Corvettes, Porsches, BMW’s Loud Mustangs, Chargers/Challenges and loud Japanese cars 🤣😂
Yet, you got a MYP instead of a M3P, likely because it wasn't all about speed.

Most do not race their Plaid, Corvette, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. The Plaid offers all the fun and speed of those with the ability to seat 5 and get groceries. It's an insane bargain compared to the cars on it's level.

Reactions: Olle and Nickos
Yet, you got a MYP instead of a M3P, likely because it wasn't all about speed.

Most do not race their Plaid, Corvette, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. The Plaid offers all the fun and speed of those with the ability to seat 5 and get groceries. It's an insane bargain compared to the cars on it's level.
Sorry “ Carnac the Magnificent” you guess wrong 🤦🏻🤣😂 Got the MYP in part because my wife own business needs the hatch back space, also loves the speed as well.. No regrets 👍🏻

Personally I use slight modulation of the brake to inch forward once in cheetah stance and it seems to work well for me; however, since you don't like that method, maybe you can consider this instead. It may seem cumbersome but it's pretty easy to do and you can learn it quick:

I've only tested this on the street but thinking outside the box and working with what we are given, I came up with this procedure that may solve your issues:

1. While in the staging lane or just prior to pulling in to the beams, pull up the 'service' screen and scroll to the bottom.
2. Get the car fully in to cheetah launch mode and when that process is complete then press the 'jack mode' button at the bottom of the service screen.
3. You can then let off of the accelerator pedal and the car will remain fully lowered in cheetah stance without auto leveling the suspension (because you're in jack mode which disables auto leveling).
4. You can now drive forward through the beams to fully stage.
5. Once you light second bulb, press both pedals to initiate cheetah stance mode and then immediately press 'jack mode' button again to turn it off. You'll notice the dash instantly says cheetah launch is ready because the suspension was still fully lowered and therefore you don't have to wait another 9+ seconds.

Hope this helps you.

@Navy SEAL Nerd

Most people buy a Plaid because of the combination of looks, power, and tech. I'd be willing to be that less than 1% of Plaid owners bought this car to bring it to a drag strip. There are far more suitable cars for track work than a nearly 5,000lb family sedan, no matter how much power it has.