Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the wife said

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Little background:

My wife and I never owned a Tesla or drove one before. I, like hundreds of thousands of people around the world, put down a deposit without seeing the unveil on 3/31/16 (I was around #12 inline in Paramus). Then I watched the unveil and the car looked much better than I envisioned. The wait game began. The car was going to be my wife’s as her lease was up in Dec. 2017. I showed a picture of the unveil car to my wife and she said it looked pretty good.

Fast forward about 2 years, I finally get to configure the car. We chose the pearl white and 19in sports wheels (my wife said the aero wheels look ugly). I know my wife will never use autopilot and I have my doubts so didn’t bother with that $5,000 option.

While I was very excited, my wife on the other hand had her doubts. She only hears about Teslas crashing, catching fire, Elon too busy with spaceships, etc. etc. Every time, I just told her wait and see.

We picked up our car on 5/5 and these are some things that my wife said so far:
  • It’s roomy inside.
  • Is this thing on?
  • What! No sunglasses holder?
  • The rearview mirror is small!
  • Are these real leather seats?
  • What! No grab handle?
  • I like the clean dash.
  • I don’t like the glass roof (b/c it shows dirty spots from nature). Is there a shade? (I have to get one I guess.)
  • The steering wheel is thick and small.
  • Isn’t electricity expensive?
  • So we cannot go too far? You mean we have to stop for like 30 minutes at superchargers? That’s long time!
  • What is this app slow to wake up!
  • Can I summon the car? (She saw a Model X do it at the dealer).
  • I don’t like tinted windows (I wanted to tint but got overruled.)
I thought my wife will need a few days to get used to the car but after only after a couple of days, she seems to have figured out most of the things and really enjoying the car and turning into Tesla believer. I was hoping she won’t like the car and I take it over but oh well. I need to wait for the weekends.

I thought my wife will need a few days to get used to the car but after only after a couple of days, she seems to have figured out most of the things and really enjoying the car and turning into Tesla believer. I was hoping she won’t like the car and I take it over but oh well. I need to wait for the weekends.

In my house, we each have our own car, and make decisions on its appearance, etc on our own.

She has tinted windows on her Impreza, and I will do the same on my 3.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor

There are also sick days and any vacation days when she doesn't need the car.

Little background:

My wife and I never owned a Tesla or drove one before. I, like hundreds of thousands of people around the world, put down a deposit without seeing the unveil on 3/31/16 (I was around #12 inline in Paramus). Then I watched the unveil and the car looked much better than I envisioned. The wait game began. The car was going to be my wife’s as her lease was up in Dec. 2017. I showed a picture of the unveil car to my wife and she said it looked pretty good.

Fast forward about 2 years, I finally get to configure the car. We chose the pearl white and 19in sports wheels (my wife said the aero wheels look ugly). I know my wife will never use autopilot and I have my doubts so didn’t bother with that $5,000 option.

While I was very excited, my wife on the other hand had her doubts. She only hears about Teslas crashing, catching fire, Elon too busy with spaceships, etc. etc. Every time, I just told her wait and see.

We picked up our car on 5/5 and these are some things that my wife said so far:
  • It’s roomy inside.
  • Is this thing on?
  • What! No sunglasses holder?
  • The rearview mirror is small!
  • Are these real leather seats?
  • What! No grab handle?
  • I like the clean dash.
  • I don’t like the glass roof (b/c it shows dirty spots from nature). Is there a shade? (I have to get one I guess.)
  • The steering wheel is thick and small.
  • Isn’t electricity expensive?
  • So we cannot go too far? You mean we have to stop for like 30 minutes at superchargers? That’s long time!
  • What is this app slow to wake up!
  • Can I summon the car? (She saw a Model X do it at the dealer).

So true. I had a similar situation. Placed order on launch day. Waited for 2 yrs and now have a M3. Wife claimed the car since day 1 and I get to clean it over the weekend.

I didn't reserve until a few months ago. Our cars are both 2014's with under 40k miles, so I didn't think a new car was necessary. Then we went to the Tesla store to look at the 3. My wife started to look at the specs and said "isn't the S better"? I answered that in most ways it is, but it also costs twice as much. She said well if it is better and you can get it now, why don't you just get an S? And while technically I could afford an S, there is no way I want to spend that much on a car whether she gives me "permission" or not. I put my reservation in on the 3 and am in no real hurry, other than the want of something shiny and new. I figure once I get that and she drives it a bit it will be time to reserve a Y for her.

I didn't reserve until a few months ago. Our cars are both 2014's with under 40k miles, so I didn't think a new car was necessary. Then we went to the Tesla store to look at the 3. My wife started to look at the specs and said "isn't the S better"? I answered that in most ways it is, but it also costs twice as much. She said well if it is better and you can get it now, why don't you just get an S? And while technically I could afford an S, there is no way I want to spend that much on a car whether she gives me "permission" or not. I put my reservation in on the 3 and am in no real hurry, other than the want of something shiny and new. I figure once I get that and she drives it a bit it will be time to reserve a Y for her.

Feels weird to order a car and plan to wait a couple of years for it, huh? Puts you in good company though. For me it took the emotion out of the car buying experience which is a good thing. Not sure I could've done it in my 30's, but I'm finding in my 50's the perspective is a little different. It's well worth the wait!

So with your experience a wife on the fence about Model 3, how do I convince my wife that I need the performance version and not just normal AWD (when it comes out)...?
I think you need to say that it only cost $xx extra per month and it's like 70% cheaper then getting a Porsche Turbo for same power, so money well spent.

So true. I had a similar situation. Placed order on launch day. Waited for 2 yrs and now have a M3. Wife claimed the car since day 1 and I get to clean it over the weekend.
She made me clean up bird poops yesterday!

• Funny
Reactions: Graffi
Little background:

I FInally found someone who didn't plunk down the $5k EAP price. What are you actually seeing with cruise control functionality without that $5k cost? I've read things all over the place including someone who didnt get it and he had it activated anyways
I'm having a real hard time justifying the $5k/.

My wife hates buying gas. Bought her an S100D for her birthday last year. She was upset when I put a deposit on a 3 LR Dual motor.

She insisted, “We have to have a gas powered car!”

I replied, “As long as YOU don’t have to drive it?”

She recognized the double standard. I haven’t canceled the order. She may prefer the 3 when it arrives.

We wanted an S since 2013 but I refused to spend the money. Stood in line and reserved 2 model 3's before reveal. Waited until November 2017 before finally running out of patience and buying our Model X. Daughter was about to get her license and we were handing down our current family car (BMW 335d) so we had a time issue. Still have one reservation. I think knowing I was ready to spend 58k on a model 3 made it easy to spend 90k on the model X plus our finances/net worth had increased significantly since we reserved the 3's. Wifey is a Tesla snob now, doubt she will ever drive anything else.

Reactions: Pkmmte and IdaX