Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the wife said

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Little background:
I thought my wife will need a few days to get used to the car but after only after a couple of days, she seems to have figured out most of the things and really enjoying the car and turning into Tesla believer. I was hoping she won’t like the car and I take it over but oh well. I need to wait for the weekends.
First of all, Congrats.
You are really better off with her liking the car....

I didn't reserve until a few months ago. Our cars are both 2014's with under 40k miles, so I didn't think a new car was necessary. Then we went to the Tesla store to look at the 3. My wife started to look at the specs and said "isn't the S better"? I answered that in most ways it is, but it also costs twice as much. She said well if it is better and you can get it now, why don't you just get an S? And while technically I could afford an S, there is no way I want to spend that much on a car whether she gives me "permission" or not. I put my reservation in on the 3 and am in no real hurry, other than the want of something shiny and new. I figure once I get that and she drives it a bit it will be time to reserve a Y for her.
She recommended you buy an S and you didn't? It is a horrible problem to have. :)

You, my friend, needed to do more homework on convincing your wife.

I've been doing "spade work" on my wife re the Model 3 since 2016 knowing she would freak out over the cost (NZD70,000).

We had a vacation in New York recently and visited the Tesla showroom there and I was terrified she would not like the 3 on display, but she sat in it and said "this is rather nice isn't it?" Score!

Now I just have to wait 2 more years for RHD....

Congrats on getting your Model 3.

Reactions: SageBrush
I FInally found someone who didn't plunk down the $5k EAP price. What are you actually seeing with cruise control functionality without that $5k cost? I've read things all over the place including someone who didnt get it and he had it activated anyways
I'm having a real hard time justifying the $5k/.
I see regular cruise control with + and - buttons (or can use the right scroll wheel). I didn't see any function for adaptive cruise.

After a long wait for the Model 3 we went ahead and got a new Model S on May 15, 2017. Not only did it move us up the wait line, but gave us the chance to fall in LOVE with the Model S. Not quite 1 year and already 25,000 miles, most of it in the first 3 months with our summer trips.

My wife was a little scared paying so much for a car, but then I found the perfect reply to friends who ask why we spent so much on just a car. Our reply is that this is our "MOTOR HOME." Since many of them have motor homes, or boats, or both, the usual reply is, "Oh, okay".

We are still waiting on our Model 3 D/LR. Maybe after our 9,000 miles cross country trip this June/July. We can only hope.

Reactions: Galve2000
I FInally found someone who didn't plunk down the $5k EAP price. What are you actually seeing with cruise control functionality without that $5k cost? I've read things all over the place including someone who didnt get it and he had it activated anyways

I didn't get it either. My justification was that I like to drive myself. The normal cruise control works fine but isn't adaptive at all. I keep debating on plunking down the cash to turn the EAP on.

Reactions: Msjulie

And some have a hard time justifying the $ 45K for the car, the battery, the paint. What's another $5K? After the first year, you won't miss it, won't have missed any meals, probably won't have gone out of business, but will have a year's experience with EAP, helping the car and the company to learn how to drive, and learning what it can do. Who needs to justify it? In a couple years you will find yourself trying to justify to a buyer why you did NOT buy it, as you try to sell it to upgrade to the Y or the Model 4 or something even more amazing.

After six months with EAP, I’ve concluded that it’s only useful on highway trips, in congested traffic or if there are distractions. In sum, most of the time.

EAP is far from perfect, but a great safety improvement. Inter-city trips are less tiring when the car keeps itself in the lane and maintains good spacing. Less risk of rear-ending in heavy traffic when the car is helping.

I regard it as money well spent. Look at Tesla resale prices - cars without Autopilot fetch lower prices.

Haha... so until 2015 I was driving a VW Jetta, and my wife a Honda Odyssey minivan. She just likes the size, so even after she was not shuttling large groups of kids around, she still insisted that she takes the less economic car on her longer commute.

2014 I test drove a GM Volt, was impressed by its ability to drive 30 miles without the gas engine kicking in, but couldnt stand the performance. Couldnt afford the tesla, but had started investing nto tesla shares, then kept adding shares whenever the bullshit fake news stuff (tesla fires, self acceleration, ...) got overwhelming and pushed the stock down. When it got particularily obnoxious I started buying some call options too.

So 2015 I replaced my VW Jetta with a VW eGolf, got solar onto the home (pays for itself in 7 years, panel warranty 25 years, whats there not to like) and my wife was driving her Honda Odyssey until she realized how much fun the eGolf was to drive. Before it was always a matter of convenience over economy, but since I already bought this expensive electric car, she was now taking it all the time to save gas, and I was back to driving a gas car, the Honda Odyssey. This was super annoying obviously, and some of the stock trades brought the tesla closer into range.

I finally rented a Model S P90D with ludicrous back for a long weekend to convince my wife that it is still doable without a gas car ,and we took it the 900 mile round trip on a long weekend from SF to LA. Ended up taking delivery of Model X 90D end of May 2016, and traded in her Honda Odyssey, moved the luggage over, and went on a vacation into the sierras to a cabin. Lots of fun to be had, but guess what, I was back to driving the VW eGolf because, you know.

So 2018 I finally replaced my eGolf with a Model 3, could not be happier, and she keeps driving her Model X :)

Life is good...

I'm on the opposite end from some of you men.

My husband doesn't always agree with me.

However, I always end up getting what I want and convince him it's his idea.

Things I've said since getting my invite:
  • It's way more than I want to spend, I'm going to wait for the short range
  • Even with the $9300k in incentives, i dont want to pay an extra $9k for extra mileage.( this was my favorite because he would say "the incentives make the battery upgrade free") duh
  • Sucks that I will miss out in the state incentives and only get 1/2 of the fed.
  • We pay xx¢ a mile for my current vehicle. Model 3 will be around x¢ which is 80% cheaper per mile.
  • Luckily my job pays for my mileage. When I get my model 3 at the end of the year, that will be just extra income now that we don't have to pay for gas.
After standing in line and finally getting my invite on 3/22, I knew I couldn't wait until the end of 2018 to get what I want. It took over a month of planting seeds. Last week Wednesday he told me I should configure. Lucky thing, because I had already configured on Monday:p
He kind of thought I would have configured the week before when he let me know I can configure soon.

He concluded that because of the incentives, mileage reimbursement, and gas savings, it makes sense to get it now instead of later.

I let him pick the color. BUT...again...I have reasons behind this decision. I know he will end up loving the car, and he deserves it more than I do. This man works his butt off and always makes sure I have a nicer car.

This brings me to part two of my Master Plan. I made 2 reservations instead of 1. I had decided to make another one pre-reveal. I will probably wait until early next year and use the money from the tax credit to put towards the short range in one of the 2 other colors at the top of my list.

ETA: Forgot to mention, I also had help from another fellow poster. I had my husband reluctantly go with me for a ride along. This definitely helped as he was very impressed. Thanks Jen!

Last edited:
My wife don't care too much, but I think my excitement is starting to catch on her too. About week ago I told how to spot different models, and now she's also checking during commute "blue S over there!". She acknowledges that it's quite pricey with all the options, but we both work hard so it's sort of nice incentive/reminder why wake up every morning and go work happily. (plus my work is great too)

We haven't sat in one yet, and she hasn't seen one close by yet, only during driving. I think it'll be treat for both of us, and delivery should be in 2 weeks.

As for EAP, my commute (to Redmond WA on SB I-405) is horrendous, so EAP is 80% of the reason I'm buying Tesla.

Ain’t domestic harmony grand? *twitch*

How’s that saying go? A chicken in every pot and a Tesla for every adult member of the household.

Yeah, that’s it.

And to the poster above about the (E)AP - just do it. Ideally via a CPO AP1 car for the next few years until we get the “E” in EAP and some FSD features.

I bought both Teslas *because of* the AP features. There are many things to like about Teslas (safety, quiet, no gas, and so forth); however, AP even as it is now *changes the long haul and in town driving experiences* like no other car you can buy today.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Reactions: Skryll
So 2015 I replaced my VW Jetta with a VW eGolf, got solar onto the home (pays for itself in 7 years, panel warranty 25 years, whats there not to like) and my wife was driving her Honda Odyssey until she realized how much fun the eGolf was to drive. Before it was always a matter of convenience over economy, but since I already bought this expensive electric car, she was now taking it all the time to save gas, and I was back to driving a gas car, the Honda Odyssey. This was super annoying obviously, and some of the stock trades brought the tesla closer into range.

So 2018 I finally replaced my eGolf with a Model 3, could not be happier, and she keeps driving her Model X :)

Life is good...
Happy ending after all. Not to hijack the thread, but you're in my neck of the woods and I'm wondering who you used to install your solar and whether you would do anything different. Strongly considering solar right now and (hey at least this part fits the thread) the wife thinks it costs too much. Me, I'm worried that federal incentives will go away if we wait too long. Are you in the city? How was the install?

Okay, back to the thread, took delivery last month with the idea that it would be her daily commuter. After a week of her being really frightened to drive it, that wore off and she loves it. If they could link the key to her iwatch, she'd be completely happy.

Happy ending after all. Not to hijack the thread, but you're in my neck of the woods and I'm wondering who you used to install your solar and whether you would do anything different. Strongly considering solar right now and (hey at least this part fits the thread) the wife thinks it costs too much. Me, I'm worried that federal incentives will go away if we wait too long. Are you in the city? How was the install?

Okay, back to the thread, took delivery last month with the idea that it would be her daily commuter. After a week of her being really frightened to drive it, that wore off and she loves it. If they could link the key to her iwatch, she'd be completely happy.

You have to shop around for solar, and I found a local contractor Solrise Electric Company - Pittsburg, CA that was significantly more affordable and did an excellent job with lots of attention to detail. IMHO it is expensive not to have solar, especially if you live in the hotter climate areas, ymmv in SF/oakland. We used to pay $2400/year before we even had electric cars, just 7 of those payments paid for a 10kW system after 30% tax credit.

Also with a net-metering and time-of-use plan like EV-A that credits you $0.45/$0.25 at peak/half-peak and costs you only $0.12/kWh when charging at night, you basically get to charge 4 kWh at night for each single kWh you produced at full peak time. Thats why our system with its 10kW still is enough for the house needs and for two electric cars, with a little bit of at-work charging by my wife.

What would I do different ?

Instead of 10kW maybe start with 12 or 14. Also include one or two tesla home batteries. Make sure to also have the car chargers installed at the same time, so the electric rework can be done as a single project and design.

Cheers, Michael

Reactions: Motor Mouth
You have to shop around for solar, and I found a local contractor Solrise Electric Company - Pittsburg, CA that was significantly more affordable and did an excellent job with lots of attention to detail. IMHO it is expensive not to have solar, especially if you live in the hotter climate areas, ymmv in SF/oakland. We used to pay $2400/year before we even had electric cars, just 7 of those payments paid for a 10kW system after 30% tax credit.

Also with a net-metering and time-of-use plan like EV-A that credits you $0.45/$0.25 at peak/half-peak and costs you only $0.12/kWh when charging at night, you basically get to charge 4 kWh at night for each single kWh you produced at full peak time. Thats why our system with its 10kW still is enough for the house needs and for two electric cars, with a little bit of at-work charging by my wife.

What would I do different ?

Instead of 10kW maybe start with 12 or 14. Also include one or two tesla home batteries. Make sure to also have the car chargers installed at the same time, so the electric rework can be done as a single project and design.

Cheers, Michael
I appreciate and agree with your conclusions. Just marshaling evidence for the attack on my conservative wife. Many thanks, Michael!

Little background:

My wife and I never owned a Tesla or drove one before. I, like hundreds of thousands of people around the world, put down a deposit without seeing the unveil on 3/31/16 (I was around #12 inline in Paramus). Then I watched the unveil and the car looked much better than I envisioned. The wait game began. The car was going to be my wife’s as her lease was up in Dec. 2017. I showed a picture of the unveil car to my wife and she said it looked pretty good.

Fast forward about 2 years, I finally get to configure the car. We chose the pearl white and 19in sports wheels (my wife said the aero wheels look ugly). I know my wife will never use autopilot and I have my doubts so didn’t bother with that $5,000 option.

While I was very excited, my wife on the other hand had her doubts. She only hears about Teslas crashing, catching fire, Elon too busy with spaceships, etc. etc. Every time, I just told her wait and see.

We picked up our car on 5/5 and these are some things that my wife said so far:
  • It’s roomy inside.
  • Is this thing on?
  • What! No sunglasses holder?
  • The rearview mirror is small!
  • Are these real leather seats?
  • What! No grab handle?
  • I like the clean dash.
  • I don’t like the glass roof (b/c it shows dirty spots from nature). Is there a shade? (I have to get one I guess.)
  • The steering wheel is thick and small.
  • Isn’t electricity expensive?
  • So we cannot go too far? You mean we have to stop for like 30 minutes at superchargers? That’s long time!
  • What is this app slow to wake up!
  • Can I summon the car? (She saw a Model X do it at the dealer).
  • I don’t like tinted windows (I wanted to tint but got overruled.)
I thought my wife will need a few days to get used to the car but after only after a couple of days, she seems to have figured out most of the things and really enjoying the car and turning into Tesla believer. I was hoping she won’t like the car and I take it over but oh well. I need to wait for the weekends.

Oops sorry not good at this.

I said all those SAME THINGS!!!! I had a FIT when he told me he put the $1000 down last year. WE JUST BOUGHT A HOUSE and I was so annoyed....I wanted to kill him!!

Fast forward to July- we picked it up, it was cute and all but I HATED the fat steering wheel... all those same things she disliked above.... fast forward to August. I ordered mine!

I'm in love and life is short. I swear driving it is an aerobic activity. I have an hour commute to work and I wish it was longer. For those of you waiting.. STOP. Live the Tesla life. NOW.

My FAVORITE THINGS:
Passing gas stations
The SMELL - it's what heaven must smell like.
The awesome sound system and streaming radio.
The PICK UP AND GO!!!! Hold on baby Jesus!

I still hate the chunky steering wheel...