Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What time do you charge your car?

What time do you charge your car

• 12 AM-4 AM

Votes: 64 60.4%
  • 4 AM-8 AM

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • 8AM-12 PM

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 12 PM-4 PM

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • 4 PM-8 PM

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • 8 PM-12 AM

Votes: 16 15.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate any help so I can determine the usage and charging patterns for Model S owners.

If it falls within a two of those time frames, pick the one in which most charging occurs

If you charge multiple times a day, pick the one in which most of your charging occurs.

Last edited:
My rates are lowest between 12am and 6am. Since I have a MS60 it takes 2 to 4 hours to charge on a NEMA 14-50 (I don't ever get it below 70 miles of rated range). So I start my charge at 2am so that the car doesn't suffer too much vampire loss by the time I get up for work.

I have charging set to start at 2:00am. It usually needs to add ~70 miles, so takes just over 2 hours.

Our TOU plan has off-peak from 9pm to 9am plus all day on weekends. I typically leave for work any time between 5:30 and 7:00 -- so starting at 2am allows charging to finish before then, plus leave a little extra time for charging on the few days that I drive ~100 miles and it needs another hour or so to complete...

Edit: I use the NEMA 14-50...

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. This is very helpful and actually shows that baseload, the more efficient energy generation is used to charge the EVs, and if this trend continues it is foreseeable that our energy consumption could get rid of peaker energy (less energy efficient)

I start charging at 02:30 unless I need a range charge. That way it's just finishing shortly before I leave. If it finishes early, then I use the app to make it charge a bit more so I have a nice warm battery to start out with.

I have a stepped meter so 1-6 AM is 6 cents kWh I then turn down the amps depending on how much mileage I have so that charging ends near when I drive out and the battery is warm. This removes the yellow bar reducing regen in colder temps. And the lower amps might help increase battery life.