Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What tires does the Model S P100D with 19" wheels come with?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the process of swapping the 21" wheels that came with my P100D with 19" wheels and it would be great if someone who bought a P100D with 19" wheels let me know what OEM tires came with my car. I was under the understanding that for the Model S 19" wheels come from the factory with all season tires. Could someone verify this?

The Service Center is planing to install Michelin PS3 tires and it's a summer performance tire. In the DC area, we do get some snow and ice and I'm thinking that I would be better off with all season tires. I've had all season tires on all my previous cars and it has worked out just fine in the winter with AWD.

You can't beat tires specifically made for a purpose, like summer performance tires for the summer and snow tires for the winter, so many people who have cars that can take advantage of summer performance tires will have a spare set of wheels and swap them in the early spring and late fall. One of my friends actually has an appointment at the service center this weekend to have his summer wheels put back on his S.

You can of course run all seasons all year round, but you'll have worse traction in the summer than summer performance tires and worse snow traction than dedicated snow tires in the winter. The main positive of all-seasons is that they generally have a higher treadwear rating, and as such last longer.

If you don't drive spiritedly, then you probably won't care about any of this and the convenience of not having to have a second set of wheels/tires will outweigh the benefits of greater traction BUT if you went out of the way to get a P100DL, I'm betting you'd enjoy the difference :)

Hmm... I'm now thinking that maybe I'll get the summer PS3s and then get a separate set of winter tires, but that comes with the hassle of 2 wheel changes each year + $2,500 for the winter wheel set. Would the service center store the winter wheels during the summer?

With my past cars, I've done well with all season tires (Continental DWS) and AWD and I like the convenience... My biggest issue is wet traction with the summer tires. My spirited driving mostly involves launches but it is always in a straight line so I will not be tossing the car at corners at the edge of tire traction. I'm thinking for my needs and straight line launches, i will do fine with all weather tires... What do you think?

I'm mostly curious to know if Tesla ships any of the Model S cars with 19" wheels with all season tires or if they all come with summer tires.

You can run the all seasons if you want, you can run whatever you want but you won't get the best traction and performance numbers with an all season. If you're not worried about 2.5 0-60 then the all season will be a better all around tire and last longer than the sticky summer tires. If I has a p100d I'd run an all season tire, a notch less in performance but longer lasting and no hassle of getting tires swapped twice a year.

Reactions: DCEV
You can run the all seasons if you want, you can run whatever you want but you won't get the best traction and performance numbers with an all season. If you're not worried about 2.5 0-60 then the all season will be a better all around tire and last longer than the sticky summer tires. If I has a p100d I'd run an all season tire, a notch less in performance but longer lasting and no hassle of getting tires swapped twice a year.

This is my line of thinking as well... Also for what it's worth, I may actually gain a slight edge in performance just from ditching the 21" wheels for the 19" wheels. Summer tires and having to deal with 2 tire swaps each year with the added expense of getting a winter tire set is going to be such a hassle.

I'm getting the 19" wheels from the service center and I made a request to see if they could install all season 19" tires as opposed to the Michelin PS3 summer tires on the Service Estimate and they said they'll get back to me.

If they say no tell them to pound sand and go somewhere else, there's absolutely no reason you can't get an all season on there. If they site some BS performance or safety issue, ask them how much traction a tire will have in the snow and what they're going to do about it.

Update my p100d today in Canada came with pilot sport 3 summer tires. A little sketchy cause it's still cold at night

Yup. The summer tires on 19s are not a good choice if you will be driving on them in cold weather.

I feel a high quality set of all weather tires are a much better choice if you don't want to go through the hassle and expense of a winter tire set with two wheel changes each year.

Based on my research, it seems Michelin A/S 3+ tires are a great choice for a performance oriented all weather 19" tire.

Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (W- or Y-Speed Rated)
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A/S+3++(W-+or+Y-Speed+Rated)

Also they are highly rated by Consumer Reports.
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tire - Consumer Reports

Last edited:
Yup. The summer tires on 19s are not a good choice if you will be driving on them in cold weather.

I feel a high quality set of all weather tires are a much better choice if you don't want to go through the hassle and expense of a winter tire set with two wheel changes each year.

Based on my research, it seems Michelin A/S 3+ tires are a great choice for a performance oriented all weather tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A/S+3++(W-+or+Y-Speed+Rated)

Yeah I want to get 20" rims and throw on either those or continental extremecontact dws06. Very hard to find 20" pilot sport a/s3 in Canada. I'd still have to put winters on for snow. It's not below freezing anymore here so I'll probably be fine with these summer tires for now

Based on my research, it seems Michelin A/S 3+ tires are a great choice for a performance oriented all weather 19" tire.

Are they really that bad? It snowed here in MN a couple days ago and the car handled very well, although I don't think it ever fell below freezing. I am coming from a 12 year old FWD car without traction control and always felt it handled very poorly in the snow. I was planning on buying winter tires and a set of wheels this fall anyway though.

How come changing wheels twice a year is such a big deal for some people? Probably takes 15 minutes each time.

Are they really that bad? It snowed here in MN a couple days ago and the car handled very well, although I don't think it ever fell below freezing. I am coming from a 12 year old FWD car without traction control and always felt it handled very poorly in the snow. I was planning on buying winter tires and a set of wheels this fall anyway though.

How come changing wheels twice a year is such a big deal for some people? Probably takes 15 minutes each time.

Have you made an appointment with your service center? :p

Then you have to worry about... Driving there. Waiting, Driving back home. Figuring out where to store 4 gigantic wheels with tires, not damaging or marking the interior transporting the wheels, etc.,

I think the fact that your car did so well in the winter on summer tires might be a testament to Tesla AWD system.

All things being equal, in the winter, I'd rather be on quality performance-oriented All Season tires like the ones I referred that were tested by Consumer Reports than summer tires... I think another quality All Season tire is the Continental DWS 06.

Only bad thing I heard about the dws is they get noisy with age.

I'm actually getting slippage on ludicrous launches now on summer tires, I'm hoping it's because my tires are brand new.

I'd be worried about the summer tires cracking from cold weather

Only bad thing I heard about the dws is they get noisy with age.

I'm actually getting slippage on ludicrous launches now on summer tires, I'm hoping it's because my tires are brand new.

I'd be worried about the summer tires cracking from cold weather

Yeah I bet a bunch of people who opt for the 19" wheels and live in winter climates don't even realize how the wheels come with summer tires not well suited for cold weather and they need to replace them with either performance oriented all season tires or get a dedicated winter set.

Last edited: