TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What to Bring to the DMV in Texas

Discussion in 'Texas' started by dsm363, Sep 25, 2012.

Tags:
  1. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#1 dsm363, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    Items included in the FedEx packet from Tesla:
    MCO (Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin)
    Bill of Sale
    Application for Registration which signed by Tesla (called Application for Texas Vehicle Title, form VTR 130-U)

Items to bring with you:
    photo ID
    checkbook to cover any expenses (tax plus fees)
    proof of insurance (might not have to be the Model S but any car you currently have registered)
    copy of final MVPA that has taxable amount and tax + registration fees owed

If you are transferring vanity plates from old car to Model S, drive old car to DMV and then bring both plates (physically take plates off of car) into DMV. They'll transfer them to your new car and issue new registration stickers for old and new car. Also, they can reissue new generic TX plates for old car.

Note: I'm trying to double check to make sure this is all accurate. If you see any corrections needed, please post below. Thanks.

Thanks for TXjak, Lynn005 and Sublimaze1 for updating this information

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Thanks! Now if only I can remember this thread several months from now when it's time for mine to be delivered :)

3. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> check from Tesla to Texas for sales tax [ dsm363]
    > title for car from Tesla

Told me they called my county clerk for the sales tax figure so TM can pay that directly ahead of time, due to my taking delivery in CO. So within TX, who knows?

Title can only be created in & by the individual state. All TM provides is the MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin).
    --

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

You're correct. Thanks. They just send you the 'Certificate of Origin For A Vehicle'. You use that with the From 130-U they send you.

Don't you wish everything was this easy?:smile:

5. TXjak

TXjak Owner/Investor/Advocate

#5 TXjak, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012