Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to buy 2016 Model S or 2018 Model S used car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to decide to buy 2016 Model S 75 or 2018 Model S used vehicle... $47K (42k Mileage) vs $57K ( 18K mileage )

Getting th 2016 model from Tesla with 4 years 50K warranty ... 2018 is a private seller

2018 is bit out of my range but just wondering for $10K am compromising too much... ( AP1 vs AP2 ) not sure if there are any other major differences... mileage i am not sure how big the differences would be for EV vehicle...

any experts please comment or suggest.....

$47k seems high to me for an AP1 75.

Really you need to decide what you can afford and what's most important to you. Do you care about autopilot and the "full self driving" koolaid? Are you talking about "D" models here (AWD)? I don't think they still made RWD 75s in 2018 but I might be wrong.

IF you are leaning toward the 2018, I would make sure it was manufactured after March 2018 and includes the "MCU2" upgraded version of the center screen. That's a major upgrade that I wouldn't pass on if you were already stretching your budget.

Check the build date on both cars and ask yourself how important are the following changes:

1. Premium Rear Seat design began July 22, 2017. There have been four generations of seat designs for the Model S:

2. All-glass roof (no moonroof and no roof rack option) was an option since 2017 and became standard Nov 2018. The panoramic roof option has a slide away sunroof but there are some reports of water and air leaks. Just test it out if you want the slide away roof.

3. Rear cupholders and rear USB ports were added after June 2016.

4. MCU 2 (CPU upgrade) began March 2018.

5. Facelift (vs black nosecone) was mid 2016.

I agree that MCU 2 is a worthy upgrade. However, don't put yourself through financial stress each month just to get the 2018. Be reasonable , as a 2016 Tesla is still a phenomenal car. Just realize there's a drastic drop in range during cold season and highly dependent on your driving style. Don't expect the EPA range if you're always taking advantage of the torque and acceleration. I love our Model S, but for $47K, have you considered a new Model 3 or even waiting for the Model Y coming in a few months?

If it’s out of your range, then this is a simple decision

yea, what? I dont understand this post. "should i get a 2016 or a 2018? i cant afford the 2018".......

I personally think the 2018 had significant upgrades, like the MCU2 with the AP2, the screen feels so much better, everything is more refined. There are so much small iterations that made my 2018 feel like a completely different car than my 2015. At the end of the day though, I got it because I could afford it. Don't spend money you dont have.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up buying a 2016 November/december built model. with AP2. With full self service paid ($7K).. came around for $50K with 20K mileage on it directly from Tesla. Though Full Service Autopilot is yet to come thought atleast it's better to have a car which is capable of handling that ( with AP2 hardware) after spending so much money. MCU2 is some thing not sure how useful but let it go at this time...

Reactions: 2101Guy
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up buying a 2016 November/december built model. with AP2. With full self service paid ($7K).. came around for $50K with 20K mileage on it directly from Tesla. Though Full Service Autopilot is yet to come thought atleast it's better to have a car which is capable of handling that ( with AP2 hardware) after spending so much money. MCU2 is some thing not sure how useful but let it go at this time...

I'm 99.9% sure you will love it and won't notice a difference in the MCU since you never had one.
Congrats, I'm going through the same too, AP1 vs AP2 car...., MCU2 is out of the question for me since I'm looking at CPO 2016s/2017s