Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to buy? $60,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having a tough time......budget of $60,000’ish and cannot decide between a used S - P90D - or a brand new 3. What do I do??????

I can’t seem to get past how much I dislike the looks of the 3, but love the tech! FSD seems pretty awesome (once turned on). Ami I missing that much?

A Performance Model 3 (which you'd need to match the P90D's performance) with FSD will cost you $65k before tax and delivery, and of course will depreciate instantly by $10k, assuming Tesla doesn't drop the price a few weeks after you buy it.

The used Model S P90D will hold its value longer because it's already lost most of it. So from a financial perspective the Model S is a better buy. Having said that, I would not swap my Model 3 for an S now - I think it's a an objectively better car from a driver's perspective.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I was facing the same issue. Decided on the S.

Main reasons were room, storage, looks and interior. Dash of 3 just doesn't work for me. I had no issues with the ride and handling of the 3. It's an amazing car. After driving and looking over both there was really no choice in my mind.

If you decide on the S. Your best choice is going to be a model S with AP2.5, MCU2, EAP and FSD if full self driving as Tesla defines it is important to you.

Having a tough time......budget of $60,000’ish and cannot decide between a used S - P90D - or a brand new 3. What do I do??????

I can’t seem to get past how much I dislike the looks of the 3, but love the tech! FSD seems pretty awesome (once turned on). Ami I missing that much?

I would get a loaded Model 3 Performance for the latest technology plus the tax credit. You will also get a better battery and a full 4 year warranty. IMHO the Model 3 looks amazing. i especially like it in white. Looks like a space craft!

I would get a loaded Model 3 Performance for the latest technology plus the tax credit. You will also get a better battery and a full 4 year warranty. IMHO the Model 3 looks amazing. i especially like it in white. Looks like a space craft!

If I did not need a larger car, I would also go for a new Model 3 performance. If you order one now, it will likely come with AP HW 3.0.

Do like i did, find a local car lot that has a MS and a M3 on their lot and do a side by side comparison, you will be surprised by how helpful the car dealer will be, most likely to find out more about the used Tesla's from you as much as in hopes you might be interested in their product. I know a Tesla show room will have new Models side by side, but preowned Model S's are not the same. Local dealer put them next to each other, we walked around. I answered the salesman and my wife questions equally since I was the product expert!! In the end the TMS was the car for us, it came down to Smart Air suspension, Pano Roof, Hatch back, Ultra High Fi sound, and Free super charging (all options not in the smaller TM3) everyone has that one thing the like or dislike, only you will know what it is. Best of luck!

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up and byeLT4
Scary how similar my situation is to yours. Similar budget (although I'm still around a year away from being ready to purchase) and I absolutely prefer the looks of the MS over the 3.... But.... I actually like the way the Y looked when revealed and that has got the Model 3 growing on me!! LOL!!

I would be very cautious about buying a used one from Tesla. I thought about buying a used Model S P90DL but every single one Tesla showed me looked beat and very tired. I have never seen such low mileage examples in such poor condition. After about the 6th Model S Tesla showed me I ran away and placed an order for a new Performance Y. The new car warranty, latest hardware, and knowing it's in new condition is what sold me. Maybe this is Tesla's new strategy to get people to buy new? Any how I don't know who's leasing or trading these Teslas in, but good gawd are they in poor condition. I hope Tesla is charging the previous owners for the damage on these cars.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Don TLR
A Late Model P90D is going to run for over 80K.... I think a lot of people think the 90D is slow. The Performance in my opinion is way too fast and you will get your self in trouble real quick. The 90D in my opinion has more than enough power and you can get a facelift 2016 90D for around the 60k range. I think enhanced autopilot 90D will be towards 70k. I do not think its worth it and I think first generation autopilot for the time being is a better option.

A Late Model P90D is going to run for over 80K.... I think a lot of people think the 90D is slow. The Performance in my opinion is way too fast and you will get your self in trouble real quick. The 90D in my opinion has more than enough power and you can get a facelift 2016 90D for around the 60k range. I think enhanced autopilot 90D will be towards 70k. I do not think its worth it and I think first generation autopilot for the time being is a better option.
I think you're numbers are off a little. Here's a 2018 inventory 100D with AP2.5 for 73K after tax credit.

Reactions: Don TLR