Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to call old fashioned cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think of them as Chokers or Asphyxiators.

I live and work in midtown Manhattan. My 'commute' is four Avenues, or roughly 12 blocks. I sometimes walk but most days I use the CitiBike bikeshare.

It's a breeze in the early morning when traffic is light. But coming home, I am inevitably jammed in between cars with no choice but to wait until the logjam breaks (usually a suitable crevice opens within a few moments.) The amount of heat generated by ICE vehicles is ridiculous, and the exhaust of buses and large trucks is nauseating. I have grown to truly hate the internal combustion engine.

Bangor Bob used it first; my favorite is "jalopy": and old, decrepit, or unpretentious automobile.

old_jalopy_by_altered_states.jpg

The steam engine was commercialized in the 18th century, widely used in the 19th and it was gone by the early 20th.

Not so. The Union Pacific railroad did not give up steam locomotives until 1958. After the war it was still hiring engineers to design new and more powerful versions such as the 4-8-8-4 BigBoy, which I think went into service in 1944. What did in steam locomotives was having to stop every hundred miles or so to take on water. They were more powerful than the diesels that replaced them but incredibly inefficient. The UP even experimented with with gas turbines before settling on diesel as the primary motive power. And the carbon emissions? Steam would probably be outlawed today. Which is why we need to ban coal fired powerplants.

I you're talking about steam for cars you're right.

I like the "gasholes" suggestion.