Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to call old fashioned cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Deprecated". Still works, but you should upgrade at your earliest convenience.

I liked ICE, but Deprecated sounds sooo much better, especially with it's definition! My wife's side of the family (all non-tech's) learned what deprecated meant after I used it in a discussion. Now they know what it means in conversation. Having this adjective go viral would be perfect!

It doesn't boil down to one word well, but I like to call ICE cars "19th century technology".
The steam engine was commercialized in the 18th century, widely used in the 19th and it was gone by the early 20th.
The internal combustion engine was invented in the 19th, popularized in the 20th, and will be gone early in the 21st century.
Burning things is for cavemen.

Koch-wagons, Jihad jalopy, cancer cart. Goldbergian? (Although mine may be more Rube Goldberg than most...) Certainly "obsolete" applies.
I've been referring to them as 'Rube Goldberg Machines', because the analogy doesn't end at the engine... the transmission is also a fine example, along with mechanical traction control systems and even the ignition key mechanism.

I saw a Model A Ford this morning, in for a safety check (an oxymoron if I ever heard one...). The rookie mechanics couldn't get it to start. Or stay running if it did catch. Choke, spark advance adjustment, even a fuel on/off valve. (http://www.model-a.org/controls_adjustments.html) Made me realize the current ICE offerings really haven't changed... just some of the controls have become automated. Rube Goldberg at his best.

Often times, EV haters call EVs golf carts. So it has to be something similar in sense. Effectively something people are familiar with of a similar type. The best way to describe gasoline cars is lawn mowers.

Lawn mowers make a lot of noise, making fun of the stigma that noise equals power. While are generally slow. And lawn mowers cut grass (grass often times is a represents the environment)

04103a.jpg

I think lawn mowers is the perfect thing to call them.

Lawn mower is good, but there are now EV Lawn Mowers... But yeah, I agree, noisy, and slow!

I have another term, this thread should stick to what to call the cars, however when a person actively believes gasoline engines are... better? nicer? And won't even attempt to get the hell over the fact that GAS IS DEAD.

These 13 supercars are less Ludicrous than the new Tesla Model S (tsla)

If it's gas, it's in the past.

Gasholes.

Seriously... There's a person on another forum who posts passive aggressive links to Tesla news... so.. they like breather poluted air? want their kids to have cancer? want to die in a car fire? I don't get it... what's to hate about an EV?!

I'm wondering if it's not jealousy? Tesla's aren't cheap, but neither is a Lambo, and I don't hate them...