Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to clean the touchscreen with?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
Any suggested cleaners to use or not use on the touchscreen? Paper towels or microfiber cloths or whatever?

The manual says:

Clean the touchscreen using a soft lint-free

cloth specifically designed to clean monitors

and displays. Do not use cleaners (such as a

glass cleaner) and do not use a wet wipe or a

dry statically-charged cloth (such as a

recently washed microfiber). To wipe the

touchscreen without activating buttons and

changing settings, you can enable clean mode.

Touch Controls > Display > Screen Clean

Mode
. The display darkens to make it easy to

see dust and smudges.

But I can't help but think that some sort of liquid cleaner will do better. I've been using Windex on laptop screens for years and never had a problem.

Ya, mine came with a lens cleaning cloth. I forget whether it was in the glove compartment or center console. But any lens cleaning material will do. Oakley sunglass bag, microfiber. I've got an Abstract Ocean screen protector and use Invisible Glass cleaner.

Glass touchscreens are coated with a substance that is supposed to 'resist' great from fingers. If you use a cleaner you are also cleaning that coating off making finger print grease looks worse on screen. A dry microfiber cloth would be the best thing to use. I'm not sure if that is true or not. Apple had that in their manuals when the iPad came out. But maybe they just don't want people to spray liquids on screen that can leak into the cracks and do more damage?

I use a dry microfiber cloth to wipe finger smudges from the screen. Never needed anything else. Also use a (different) microfiber cloth and some waterless wash spray to clean bugs off the front end at Supercharger stops, if I feel like it. I have a squeegee and bucket in the trunk for the windshield — got that after my first road trip during bug season, very helpful.