Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do?!?!? 2013 Model S 60 Battery fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You 100% sure about this? I owned a 2013 Model S 60 and don't recall ever reading a 120k mile limit on the powertrain. I'm pretty sure that it was 8-year unlimited mile just like the other packs. I think that the only one that didn't have that was the original 40 because it was made prior to the warranty being extended to 8-years and unlimited mile powertrain and later it was extended to that car too.

Originally all Model Ss had a limited mileage warranty on the battery/driveunit. Then they changed it but only for the 85kWh versions. (The 40 and 60 kWh models maintained their limited mileage warranty.)

When they re-introduced the 60kWh version, using a 70kWh battery, it got the unlimited mileage warranty as well.

Originally all Model Ss had a limited mileage warranty on the battery/driveunit. Then they changed it but only for the 85kWh versions. (The 40 and 60 kWh models maintained their limited mileage warranty.)

When they re-introduced the 60kWh version, using a 70kWh battery, it got the unlimited mileage warranty as well.
I think I see the confusion here. You're right, the 60kwh battery vehicles had a drive and motor warranty that was 8-years or 125k miles, whichever comes first. All other Model S are 8-year unlimited miles.

I think some are confusing the Model 3 terms with the Model S which is starting a fuss around the forum lately.

Here's Tesla's official warranty page: Click Me

(for those too lazy to click)
*Model S and Model X – 8 years (with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery manufactured before 2015, which is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles, whichever comes first).
*Model 3 - 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
*Model 3 with Long-Range Battery - 8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

You 100% sure about this? I owned a 2013 Model S 60 and don't recall ever reading a 120k mile limit on the powertrain. I'm pretty sure that it was 8-year unlimited mile just like the other packs. I think that the only one that didn't have that was the original 40 because it was made prior to the warranty being extended to 8-years and unlimited mile powertrain and later it was extended to that car too.
There has been so much confusion around this I really wish someone who purchased one back in the old days would dig up the paperwork that shows one way or another.

There has been so much confusion around this I really wish someone who purchased one back in the old days would dig up the paperwork that shows one way or another.
Look at my previous post for current warranty verbiage. Unless you own a very old 60 or a Model 3 (this is the Model S section after all) then none of this mileage talk on the drive and battery apply to you.

I tried to pull up all of my old documentation for my 2013 60 to verify but was unsuccessful w/o really digging. I instead went directly to the source and posted the link and findings just above your post.

4 year / 50k mile warranty on the refurbished battery
That's what Tesla told you directly? If so, Tesla needs to do something about that or it could be disastrous in the court of public opinion. If they're selling replacement battery packs (just one major component that could fail, all of them have two or three of these in terms of pack and single or dual motor) for $11k that are refurbished with ONLY a 4-year/50k mile warranty that's going to look very bad as compared to their ICE counterparts and what the major parts cost to replace (even re-manufactured) versus how long they last or are guaranteed.

Here is a picture of my 2014 warranty book pages pertaining to warranty on battery.

Edit uploaded files

Attachments

• IMG_20190723_194602.jpg
    IMG_20190723_194602.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20190723_194613.jpg
    IMG_20190723_194613.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 127
I got to say - there was another thread asking about the price for battery replacement out of warranty and it hinted that it was closer to $40K for this job. I know the $11K is for a 60KW battery, and I'm wondering if the Service Center might provide options if you wanted to upgrade the battery while you are at it.

Might feel better if you say I will pay $X Amount extra, but end up with a 75/85/90/100KW battery instead and all the benefits that come with it...

There are hackers on this forum that should be able to upgrade you to a used 85 battery for that price.
Years down the road, once any and all possibility of warranty or goodwill are long in the past, if a battery pack on one of my cars fail this is likely the route I will go. If I'm already having to come out of pocket a lot of money I'd rather at least get a slightly upgrade in performance and/or range rather than plopping the same crappy pack back in that I had previously. My P85D will be super sweet with a 100kwh pack in it and my 70D would sure love a 85/90/100kwh pack as well.

I got to say - there was another thread asking about the price for battery replacement out of warranty and it hinted that it was closer to $40K for this job. I know the $11K is for a 60KW battery, and I'm wondering if the Service Center might provide options if you wanted to upgrade the battery while you are at it.

Might feel better if you say I will pay $X Amount extra, but end up with a 75/85/90/100KW battery instead and all the benefits that come with it...

Kind of what I was just hinting at as well. This might be an easier pill to swallow if you at least get some sort of upgrade out of the deal. $11k and a nice jump in power, range and long-term outlook (given that 10% degradation on an 85/100 pack is MUCH better than 10% on a 60 pack given how low the range already is) and not to mention value is a LOT better than simply paying $11k to put your car back slightly better than it was before it caca'd the bed.

Here is a picture of my 2014 warranty book pages pertaining to warranty on battery.

Edit uploaded files
Thank you. Even with this there is still much confusion as some of us have had discussions and interactions with SC and mobile rangers that state the 60kwh was changed to unlimited. Also what about those of us who had a new pack purchased and installed by tesla (previous owner paid for 75kwh upgrade in my S) but don't have any paperwork. All I have to go on is what my sc tells me. I'm with @Ostrichsak and would rather pay someone to put a larger pack in instead of paying Tesla.

Reactions: outdoors
Hi,

Any advice welcome on the following situation:

2013 Model S 60 - 132,000 miles
Good condition followed all best practices of charging, etc...
Take vehicle into servicing of brakes and tire rotation in November
Notice that night that range has been limited by ~40 miles from 206 to 167 (likely due to the infamous SW update)
Next day car does not charge and I get the battery charging is limited error
Takes 4 weeks to get an appointment (meanwhile, car does not charge and is losing a couple miles charge every day)
Bring car in, get a phone call notifying me that the battery has failed, and is not covered under warranty due to mileage limit crossed in May
Approx. 18k still owed on loan.
Cost for repairing battery/install $11k

Just out of curiosity how did you get a car loan with those terms. 6 years in to your loan and you still owe $18,000.

That's what Tesla told you directly? If so, Tesla needs to do something about that or it could be disastrous in the court of public opinion. If they're selling replacement battery packs (just one major component that could fail, all of them have two or three of these in terms of pack and single or dual motor) for $11k that are refurbished with ONLY a 4-year/50k mile warranty that's going to look very bad as compared to their ICE counterparts and what the major parts cost to replace (even re-manufactured) versus how long they last or are guaranteed.

Toyota replacement batteries had a _1 year_ warranty. Didn't seem to do their hybrid sales any harm.

The warranty on the electric drivetrain and battery in new cars is to meet the requirements for ZEV credits.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV