Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do about NYC public garage gougers?

Have you been overcharged to park your Tesla Model 3 in a private garage in NYC

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pkatz

Jul 13, 2018
NY
It seems that most NYC public garages hear "tesla" when you ask about monthly rates consciously charge 20% or more than their standard rates for parking privileges. It's not like a 40k model 3 is any different than your 40-50k ICE vehicle, yet they rip us off and seem, so far, to be getting away with it.

It seems to be anti-environmental, and anti-garage employees (since with ICE vehicles parking in confined spaces these employees' lungs are being polluted by the exhaust) to discourage people from buying Model 3s by charging more for no objective reason to park them.

Has anyone thought to challenge this? I'm thinking of filing a complaint with the State of New York against a garage for price gouging, and it seems to me it would be bad press for this gouging to be brought to environmental groups and the media's attention.

It makes sense (at least it's arguable) when a car is a different size and therefore costs the garage company more space to store it, but it is just plain gouging when they bill more for a car that is the same size or smaller than a car that they would bill a fair price to garage. You can bring a Toyota Camry (Dimensions: 193″ L x 72″ W x 56-57″ H) and a Tesla Model 3 (Dimensions: 185″ L x 73″ W x 56-57″ H) and they will charge you 20-25% more for the Tesla. A top Tier Camry is about 36k so it's comparable to a bottom tier Model 3 so they cannot even try to argue that it's an "exotic" car like a Ferrari, Porsche, or the like that costs over 6 figures on average which would mean greater liability to garage

Reactions: DukeofURL
The question is: is a Tesla more likely to get totaled for an otherwise minor accident on any other car?

It’s been made clear that there’s a Tesla tax when dealing with service providers and at that point the onus is on the consumer to not patronize these establishments in favor of those who treat us more fairly. If we won’t pay extra, they’ll eventually get it and cut the BS.

The question is: is a Tesla more likely to get totaled for an otherwise minor accident on any other car?

It’s been made clear that there’s a Tesla tax when dealing with service providers and at that point the onus is on the consumer to not patronize these establishments in favor of those who treat us more fairly. If we won’t pay extra, they’ll eventually get it and cut the BS.
It's easy to say that the onus is on the consumer, but literally every garage in NY is doing it and getting away with it because no one as the luxury of saying no because there is no option but to be gouged or don't garage your Tesla in NYC (or of course not buy a Tesla and get a polluting car of the same size instead and pay less to pollute is a third option)

Fair point. I suppose the next best thing then is to find the garage that is most convenient to your situation then (complimentary or at least paid charging stations?)
I think I'm going for these garages where it hurts. I'm going to file a complaint with the state and see if I can drum up some bad press for their gouging. It seems counterintuitive to penalize drivers who are environmentally conscious. If anyone else has a similar experience you can message me. I think a complaint on behalf of multiple people will be more powerful than just one angry consumer.

are you talking monthly rates or just parking for a day/few hours... if you are talking day/hour rates then use an app like spothero or parkwhiz. i use it for my model 3 and you basically get to find much much lower rates and prepay it. type of car doesnt matter (you do have to disclose large vehicles like vans) last time i paid $18 for 6 hours when the posted rate would have been closer to $50. its incredibly easy to use and the garage attendants shouldnt be caught off guard since they have to opt in to accept the app payments

edit: i see your talking about monthly, not sure if the apps have that but i never looked. still use the app for dailys!

are you talking monthly rates or just parking for a day/few hours... if you are talking day/hour rates then use an app like spothero or parkwhiz. i use it for my model 3 and you basically get to find much much lower rates and prepay it. type of car doesnt matter (you do have to disclose large vehicles like vans) last time i paid $18 for 6 hours when the posted rate would have been closer to $50. its incredibly easy to use and the garage attendants shouldnt be caught off guard since they have to opt in to accept the app payments

edit: i see your talking about monthly, not sure if the apps have that but i never looked. still use the app for dailys!

I'm talking about monthlies. Yes park wiz is great for a daily park and it avoids your being gouged, which makes it all the more obvious that they are just overcharging Tesla owners. When you park with parkwiz it's either a standard sized car rate or oversized, that's it, if I recall.

Wow, not living in New York I've never heard of such a thing....that's terrible.

California government is much more progressive and concerned about the environment as far as everything I have seen. Here in NY those of us who try to be environmentally conscious have some support, but much less than in CA for sure.

It's a situation begging for a lawsuit honestly. There is no way these garages can defend this type of gouging. Maybe with a Model S or X where they can claim the car has some sort of "Exotic" status or "Oversized" status because of those cars' price and size they can make an argument with a straight face that they're justified in charging more, but no way would that same argument stand for the much smaller and modestly priced Model 3.

I had no idea such practices were even a thing. In fact, I was so naive that when I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about people keying (gouging) parked cars. This seems like the sort of discriminatory practice that a consumer affairs or DA's office would be interested in.

I'm not sure how a complaint is going to be effective (but I'm not a lawyer). They are not regulated and being private garages they can charge you anything they want--right?

Unfair but all's fair in love and war and NY.

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
I'm not sure how a complaint is going to be effective (but I'm not a lawyer). They are not regulated and being private garages they can charge you anything they want--right?

Unfair but all's fair in love and war and NY.

I am a lawyer, and honestly I’m not sure because it’s not my area of expertise. I do believe there are various price gouging laws on the books, but I don’t know if any of them permit an individual to bring a course of action, or needs to be filed by a state or city official. And I’ve been practicing long enough however, to realize that where there is a will there is a way. My only issue is the enormous amount of time it would take to prosecute that kind of case against some well-funded garage corporations.

I'm in Manhattan fairly regularly, but I don't live there. I generally don't bother with the Level 2 charging (7-9kW) since I have issues with the places that have only that available. For charging my Model S, I have seen $18 surcharges for charging (with strong expectations for an additional tip), promises of charging that aren't fulfilled because "the charger was blocked", or even one that had a Chargepoint charger that they needed me to swipe my card for charging at an unknown rate for an unknown period of time.

There are a few superchargers in Manhattan. Some are reserved for monthly patrons (eg, Mott Street, lower East Side). Others will supercharge your car at the standard parking rate ( $36 for the first hour, Upper West Side 75th & Broadway) plus tip.

I have had great supercharging service at Allen Street (Lower East Side). They seem to know what they are doing and are very pleasant. For $10, I can park and supercharge for a half hour while I get a good lunch (Chinatown area).

It seems that most NYC public garages hear "tesla" when you ask about monthly rates consciously charge 20% or more than their standard rates for parking privileges. It's not like a 40k model 3 is any different than your 40-50k ICE vehicle, yet they rip us off and seem, so far, to be getting away with it.

It seems to be anti-environmental, and anti-garage employees (since with ICE vehicles parking in confined spaces these employees' lungs are being polluted by the exhaust) to discourage people from buying Model 3s by charging more for no objective reason to park them.

Has anyone thought to challenge this? I'm thinking of filing a complaint with the State of New York against a garage for price gouging, and it seems to me it would be bad press for this gouging to be brought to environmental groups and the media's attention.
file the complaint or get this
2002-2006 "CAMRY" Rear Trunk Emblem Genuine Toyota Factory OEM 75442-AA020 | eBay

iu