Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do if leaving your Mod3 parked for a month?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sometimes go out of town for a couple of weeks, a month, or even more. I never thought about it when buying the car. What's the best way to handle that? I could leave it on a 120 volt circuit in the driveway, I guess. Does it reliably initiate "top off" charging, then stop charging again when it reaches your set limit? What can apartment dwellers do?

Plug it in. For long term storage Tesla recommends setting the charge level to 50%, but for a few weeks it shouldn't matter.

Of course it stops charging when it reaches your set limit, just like if you're at home. The car doesn't know you're away. Then when the charge level drops by about 3% it initiates charging again.

Reactions: CSFTN
Leaving it on a 120V is fine. It'll manage its charge. Just plug it in if you can, and don't stress.

If you *don't* plug it in, try to avoid checking on it via the app too much, disturbing its sleep and increasing energy loss.

It will definitely run down in a month if you don’t do something. I wonder if there’s a straightforward way to disconnect the 12v battery so that it will truly power down. Then you wouldn’t have any phantom drain. Anyone know how to do it?

• Disagree
Reactions: CSFTN
Won't definitely run down. It will slowly work its way to 50%, and then (unless you repeatedly wake it up) it will sit in that vicinity for some time, shutting down extraneous power draws. Don't mess with the 12V battery.
Maybe model 3 is different. But my model x ran all the way to 0% (actually -4% as it turned out) and was dead as a doornail when I left it for 3 weeks. I should have disconnected the 12v.