Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do if none of your key cards work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both of my Tesla Model 3 key cards mysteriously stopped working last weekend. I couldn't find a post here that precisely described how to proceed, so I thought I'd share what I learned.

I'm certain that both cards worked at some point, but I typically use my phone, so I hadn't used either card for a long while. I discovered the problem when trying to drop off my car in a parking garage. I tried the card in my wallet, and then the spare which I keep in a backpack... and neither worked. My phone worked fine as a key, but the garage attendant required a physical working key.

As others have noted, you cannot re-program a key card using your phone. You MUST have at least 1 working key card, in order to re-program another key card. (If you try to set up a key card in your car under Controls > Locks > Keys > Add Key, and scan your new key card, it'll then require you to scan an existing key card or key fob.) If you don't have a working key card, you'll need to rely on Tesla to re-program your key cards.

First, I tried roadside service. I chatted with an agent and eventually spoke to them live; they informed me that roadside service cannot re-program key cards. (I can understand a certain logic here. I wasn't stranded; my phone key worked fine. It was inconvenient that I couldn't leave my car with the garage, but I guess they didn't consider this to be a true roadside emergency.)

Next, I made a service center appointment. The first appointment slot was the next morning from 8am-12pm. It showed up in the app as mobile service (a Tesla agent would come out to the car). There wasn't any obvious choice to select "I need my key cards re-programmed"; I think I ended up choosing the option that said I wanted a key fob, and it showed an estimate of $190 for the service. Gulp... I approved the estimate.

I called the local service center the next morning to ask if I could just drive there and get the key cards re-programmed; she said yes, but I should just wait for the remote agent to arrive. When they arrived, they were able to re-program both of my key cards within about 5 minutes (I watched him put my car into service mode, then connect his laptop physically to the car). I told the agent I didn't actually need a key fob, which he said was fine. There ended up being no charge for the mobile service (nice!).

The owners manual sort of says this, but it's brief and ambiguous text. All it says is - "In the event you lose both keys [sic] cards, schedule a service appointment through the mobile app to replace and pair them." I didn't actually LOSE the keys; it really should say "In the event you have no working key card...". And it's a bit frustrating that when you go to schedule a service appointment in the app, there's no obvious choice for "I need to re-program my key cards," so you're not REALLY sure you're in the right place. (But, you are.)

Lessons learned -
  • It's true, you cannot re-program a key card unless you have 1 working key card to start with.
  • You cannot set up someone else's phone as a key, unless you have 1 working key card. (I tried this too.)
  • Key cards can, apparently, just stop working after awhile. Might be worthwhile to check your key cards every few months to make sure they still work.
  • It might be worthwhile to buy a few spare key cards and store them someplace safe, in case your 2 main key cards stop working.
  • Tesla roadside service cannot re-program key cards.
  • Tesla service centers can re-program key cards, and seem willing to do this without an appointment (although it does require a technician to physically connect a laptop to your car).
  • Tesla mobile service CAN re-program your key cards when they arrive at your car.
  • There is no charge for Tesla to re-program your key cards.
I think that just about summarizes things.

Tesla_Model3_Key_Fob.jpg

"Tesla Model3 Key Fob" by Jzh2074 is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
You cannot set up someone else's phone as a key, unless you have 1 working key card.

This is not actually true....though it used to be. Changed in late April with an update to the phone app.

Release notes of Tesla phone app 4.20.69 said:
]Phone Key pairing no longer requires your Key Card to complete.

You say there was and should be no charge but, are you still under warranty?

Thinking mileage may vary on that aspect.
Good point. I purchased the car 9/17/19 and the Warranty section in the app says my "Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty" expires 9/17/23. So maybe that's why there was no fee for the mobile service.

FWIW, the invoice doesn't mention that fees were waived based on warranty; it just shows $0 in charges. There is a section that says "Pay Type: Goodwill - Service." Not sure if that "goodwill" was related to still being under warranty.

I had a similar situation but when I made a service appt, I got a call back very quickly. The tech on the phone could see my car's profile and determined that somehow my BT firmware didn't get updated with the last update. He was able to push the firmware to the car remotely while on the phone and all of a sudden the key cards worked.
That's very interesting, because I still find it improbable that BOTH of my key cards, which I'm certain were programmed and working at one point, stopped working at the same time. Honestly I don't know exactly how the Tesla technician fixed the problem - I assumed he re-programmed my key cards, but I suppose it's possible that he remedied the issue via a firmware update. I should have asked him for an explanation of how he fixed the problem! One caveat - my phone still worked as a key - I wonder if that actually rules out the Bluetooth firmware as a root cause.

That's very interesting, because I still find it improbable that BOTH of my key cards, which I'm certain were programmed and working at one point, stopped working at the same time. Honestly I don't know exactly how the Tesla technician fixed the problem - I assumed he re-programmed my key cards, but I suppose it's possible that he remedied the issue via a firmware update. I should have asked him for an explanation of how he fixed the problem! One caveat - my phone still worked as a key - I wonder if that actually rules out the Bluetooth firmware as a root cause.
Like you, I think it's improbable that the problem was with both your key cards. I only found out when I was trying to program new key card I had got for my son. I tried using my key card to authorize it and it didn't work. Then I checked my wife's card and it didn't work, But like you, my phone would still let me open and operate the car. So maybe the firmware was not running the center console BT sensor correctly, which might not be BT, it might be NFC.

Both of my Tesla Model 3 key cards mysteriously stopped working last weekend. I couldn't find a post here that precisely described how to proceed, so I thought I'd share what I learned.

I'm certain that both cards worked at some point, but I typically use my phone, so I hadn't used either card for a long while. I discovered the problem when trying to drop off my car in a parking garage. I tried the card in my wallet, and then the spare which I keep in a backpack... and neither worked. My phone worked fine as a key, but the garage attendant required a physical working key.

As others have noted, you cannot re-program a key card using your phone. You MUST have at least 1 working key card, in order to re-program another key card. (If you try to set up a key card in your car under Controls > Locks > Keys > Add Key, and scan your new key card, it'll then require you to scan an existing key card or key fob.) If you don't have a working key card, you'll need to rely on Tesla to re-program your key cards.

First, I tried roadside service. I chatted with an agent and eventually spoke to them live; they informed me that roadside service cannot re-program key cards. (I can understand a certain logic here. I wasn't stranded; my phone key worked fine. It was inconvenient that I couldn't leave my car with the garage, but I guess they didn't consider this to be a true roadside emergency.)

Next, I made a service center appointment. The first appointment slot was the next morning from 8am-12pm. It showed up in the app as mobile service (a Tesla agent would come out to the car). There wasn't any obvious choice to select "I need my key cards re-programmed"; I think I ended up choosing the option that said I wanted a key fob, and it showed an estimate of $190 for the service. Gulp... I approved the estimate.

I called the local service center the next morning to ask if I could just drive there and get the key cards re-programmed; she said yes, but I should just wait for the remote agent to arrive. When they arrived, they were able to re-program both of my key cards within about 5 minutes (I watched him put my car into service mode, then connect his laptop physically to the car). I told the agent I didn't actually need a key fob, which he said was fine. There ended up being no charge for the mobile service (nice!).

The owners manual sort of says this, but it's brief and ambiguous text. All it says is - "In the event you lose both keys [sic] cards, schedule a service appointment through the mobile app to replace and pair them." I didn't actually LOSE the keys; it really should say "In the event you have no working key card...". And it's a bit frustrating that when you go to schedule a service appointment in the app, there's no obvious choice for "I need to re-program my key cards," so you're not REALLY sure you're in the right place. (But, you are.)

Lessons learned -
  • It's true, you cannot re-program a key card unless you have 1 working key card to start with.
  • You cannot set up someone else's phone as a key, unless you have 1 working key card. (I tried this too.)
  • Key cards can, apparently, just stop working after awhile. Might be worthwhile to check your key cards every few months to make sure they still work.
  • It might be worthwhile to buy a few spare key cards and store them someplace safe, in case your 2 main key cards stop working.
  • Tesla roadside service cannot re-program key cards.
  • Tesla service centers can re-program key cards, and seem willing to do this without an appointment (although it does require a technician to physically connect a laptop to your car).
  • Tesla mobile service CAN re-program your key cards when they arrive at your car.
  • There is no charge for Tesla to re-program your key cards.
I think that just about summarizes things.

View attachment 944310
"Tesla Model3 Key Fob" by Jzh2074 is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
Thank you for the detailed post. I had a similar problem, I lost my key card. I purchased two key cards and used my wife's key card and renamed it "guest". When I used the key card to enter the car, it used her profile for the seat, etc., of course I am 8" taler than her. If I change the profile setting with the "guest" key card will it change her profile settings in the cars computer? Hate to drive all the way to the Tesla dealer if it is not necessary. Help anyone??

I had the same thing happen to me. I got my son a keycard and went to program it with mine and discovered that the 2 key cards that came with the car didn't work. Set up a service appt. and had someone call me back. He could remotely check the car and said that I had a firmware mismatch. He pushed an update to the car and I was able to reprogram all three keys then. Didn't need to go to the SC.

Reactions: Miata Head
I had the same thing happen to me. I got my son a keycard and went to program it with mine and discovered that the 2 key cards that came with the car didn't work. Set up a service appt. and had someone call me back. He could remotely check the car and said that I had a firmware mismatch. He pushed an update to the car and I was able to reprogram all three keys then. Didn't need to go to the SC.
Thank you. My car worked fine but it has my wife's profile. I am hesitant to change the settings in the card to match mine thinking it will also change her profile settings. I have not driven the car using the key card. Not sure I am making myself clear!