Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do if you got a puncture?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the Model 3 doesn't come with a spare wheel of any kind, what do you do if you get a puncture? I assume call Tesla Roadside Assistance or AA if you have it?

Has anyone used one of these before:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AirMan-ResQ-TireRepair-71-051-011-Repair/dp/B00BP5E7KI

And if you use it, does the tyre actually need to be completely replaced once you get to a garage or whatever? Or can the fluid be removed, tyre repaired (if possible) with no permanent damage/affect on the tyre/wheel?

Edit: Perhaps I should have read the item description above - you can wash it out to repair the tyre. Still - has anyone used/got one and are they any good?

This does not work with the Michelin standard summer tyres due to the acoustic foam inside them.

Indeed it strikes me that one of the benefits of getting (foamless) winter tyres is that you can after all use a sealant-based puncture repair kit. I have incidentally noticed no additional noise in running the new tyres either.

Do all Model 3s have those tyres? Even the SR+? Or just LR and P?

The SR+ also has foam acoustic lining in its original tyres. (I agree with Cogarch about repairability and also that having winter tyres may have changed the character of the road noise but hard to say if it is actually any louder... most certainly not a reason to hold off getting them.)

A lot of DIY type folks carry a plug kit and compressor. And some carry a jack and tools to remove wheel as well. I carry All the above in all cars that have no spare. Tesla isn’t the only brand with no spare. Removing the wheel can make it easier / safer to repair. Think about the difficulties plugging a rear tire on the car when it’s 0F out. Folks argue over if (external) plugs work on foam lined tires. A plug is not a guarantee of repair either. It’s just a backup in case Road Side assistance is not prompt or available.

I also carry a can of Fix-a-flat for Winter tires that have no foam.

Reactions: .jg. and Lasairfion
When I picked up my Model S about 6 months ago,as we were going through the handover of keys and intro to the car I asked about spare tyre.
I said that I was a little concerned about being stranded etc so I would like to have a spare tyre please.

The manager at Milton Keynes told me this.....

“I would not bother if I were you as ,I don’t know why Tesla don’t advertise this more but, if you have a puncture and call Tesla they will be with you in no later than 45 mins to an hour ,will do a speedy swap of wheel to get you on your way and bring the repaired or changed tyre to your home”

fact or fantasy?

also that having winter tyres may have changed the character of the road noise but hard to say if it is actually any loude

My original Model-S was before foam-lined acoustic tyres were available. I fitted foam-ones at the first tyre change, and I agree, no difference in noise, but a definitely difference in "the character of the road noise". I found the difference (a low drumming sound) annoying at first, but that was so long ago now and I don't remember the last time I thought it was a problem, so must have got used to it!

I asked about spare tyre

I haven't had a spare tyre in any car I've bought in the last 15 years, maybe more. Apart from Tesla the others were pretty humdrum brands / models. I swap Winter / Summer tyres and if I go e.g. to continent I take a wrong-season wheel with me "insurance", but although I did buy a jack etc. on the other car's I've owned I haven't done for Tesla (not exactly as straightforward as a simple, dirt cheap (ie.. low weight limit), scissor jack). I do carry inflation pump and gunge

When I picked up my Model S about 6 months ago,as we were going through the handover of keys and intro to the car I asked about spare tyre.
I said that I was a little concerned about being stranded etc so I would like to have a spare tyre please.

“I would not bother if I were you as ,I don’t know why Tesla don’t advertise this more but, if you have a puncture and call Tesla they will be with you in no later than 45 mins to an hour ,will do a speedy swap of wheel to get you on your way and bring the repaired or changed tyre to your home”

fact or fantasy?

fact, to a degree

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/roadside-assistance-policy-en.pdf

Reactions: Chickenlips
Roadside for the UK can take a while to answer calls and provide assistance - they seem to be a bit overloaded at times. As Roadside doesn't cover a number of non-warranty issues, it may be sensible to have proper breakdown cover (AA, RAC, etc.), so you can get the car recovered to your home or some convenient tyre fitters.
I keep an electric pump in the car, in case of a slow puncture but would otherwise expect to call the RAC.

I've been debating this with myself for a while now. I just had my fourth flat fixed this morning. Options I see are to source a secondhand spare + tools (if you don't have them) and carry it when on longer jaunts. Near home it can stay in the garage 'cos you can probably limp back with ocassional air top-ups or even get RAC/family/taxi to fetch. Slime like solutions may/may not damage TPMS sensors, won't work with foam and may preclude tyre repair. These aren't cheap tyres. I even debated the option of a selection of screws and rubber washers to patch a small hole just to limp back on - easier than drilling out a plug and making a bigger hole...

fact or fantasy?

I doubt @MaDProFF would agree
Complete Lock out P3

but still don't know if he actually phoned the actual 24/7 roadside assistance team or not

Reactions: MaDProFF
I've been debating this with myself for a while now. I just had my fourth flat fixed this morning. Options I see are to source a secondhand spare + tools (if you don't have them) and carry it when on longer jaunts. Near home it can stay in the garage 'cos you can probably limp back with ocassional air top-ups or even get RAC/family/taxi to fetch. Slime like solutions may/may not damage TPMS sensors, won't work with foam and may preclude tyre repair. These aren't cheap tyres. I even debated the option of a selection of screws and rubber washers to patch a small hole just to limp back on - easier than drilling out a plug and making a bigger hole...

What have been the common causes of your punctures recently? Of the last 3 I've had 2 of them were from sidewall damage (none in the Telsa, yet) and they would not have benefitted from DIY stop-gap repairs. The other one was a screw that led to a slow puncture on a worn tyre that could be managed ok until a replacement was fitted. I'm same as you, having bought a space saver for the Tesla, that lives in the garage so can be brought to me if it's a local problem (they all have been so far).

I've got a repair kit that I carry on on the motorbike that includes a manual reamer and soft rubber plug and some gas cylinders to put a bit of air back in ... but thankfully I've never had to use it.)

Can anyone spot the current-draw for the AirMan compressor?

One reviewer on the listing says he was supplied "a different model which needed a 15 amp supply" - but I can't see what the current-draw is for the stated compressor.

M3 manual says 12A continuous from the 12V cabin socket (16A peak - must be instantaneous start-up current?).

Bookmarked this previously as it says 10A max:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OP0WZGI/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Like the sealant being wash-outable/not messing the valve up - I'm thinking I'd get it with the 10A compressor - using both anytime roadside help can't get out to me in a reasonable time. Rolling the tyre so the gunk could get to it would be a pain - but I'd assume it had done a few deflated rotations already coming to a stop/the loss rate wasn't that great.

Hopefully the seemingly sensitive tpms will give early warning of many punctures - enough warning to limp home or get to a garage. Shame it doesn't register more quickly though.

I'm still deliberating over a compressor. I think I recycled my old compressor when battery died and I had a garage clear out so looking for a new one. They all seem to get mixed reviews and for wired ones many exceed the Model 3 12v socket power rating - I want something that I can rely on to work when you need it to work.