Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do if you got a puncture?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I picked up my Model S about 6 months ago,as we were going through the handover of keys and intro to the car I asked about spare tyre.
I said that I was a little concerned about being stranded etc so I would like to have a spare tyre please.

The manager at Milton Keynes told me this.....

“I would not bother if I were you as ,I don’t know why Tesla don’t advertise this more but, if you have a puncture and call Tesla they will be with you in no later than 45 mins to an hour ,will do a speedy swap of wheel to get you on your way and bring the repaired or changed tyre to your home”

that’s fine in densely populated areas , but here in nz, where in isolated areas it’s not possible to even get a cellular signal , let alone getting a spare wheel out to help, a ( not confirmed) account I heard was for a time of 3 hours, not a safe way to solve the puncture. I have contacted Tesla but have not recieved a reply. For me this is the only thing stopping me putting in my order for Tesla 3, I’m sure its a problem that can be solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Alset2go
that’s fine in densely populated areas , but here in nz, where in isolated areas it’s not possible to even get a cellular signal , let alone getting a spare wheel out to help, a ( not confirmed) account I heard was for a time of 3 hours, not a safe way to solve the puncture. I have contacted Tesla but have not recieved a reply. For me this is the only thing stopping me putting in my order for Tesla 3, I’m sure its a problem that can be solved.
You can buy a space saver tyre and jack from 3rd party suppliers. Unfortunately if carrying it around you will have to sacrifice boot space but that’s obvious. Few modern cars come with a spare and that’s when you realise how huge they are compared with the smaller wheels of yesteryear! It’s a real issue for people living far from town facilities.

Reactions: M3noob
I'm in Oz and felt it a worthwhile (large!) expenditure to invest in a ModernSpare wheel and jack set for the same reasons. Sure, it adds weight and takes up space but on a (by Sod's law) filthy wet stormy night , who cares?

“I would not bother if I were you as ,I don’t know why Tesla don’t advertise this more but, if you have a puncture and call Tesla they will be with you in no later than 45 mins to an hour ,will do a speedy swap of wheel to get you on your way and bring the repaired or changed tyre to your home”

Tesla folk say a lot of things - doesn't mean they happen. IIRC it's only if your within 50miles of a service centre. Back roadside assistance with AA/RAC etc and consider owning a spare wheel/tyre even if it's kept in the garage for when you're trailered home.

I suppose the lack of spare tyre in modern cars is 'cos half of drivers wouldn't know how to change one or aren't physically capable (sexist) or may be stupid enough to do so on a motorway hard shoulder.....

Reactions: M3noob

Tesla folk say a lot of things - doesn't mean they happen. IIRC it's only if your within 50miles of a service centre. Back roadside assistance with AA/RAC etc and consider owning a spare wheel/tyre even if it's kept in the garage for when you're trailered home.

I suppose the lack of spare tyre in modern cars is 'cos half of drivers wouldn't know how to change one or aren't physically capable (sexist) or may be stupid enough to do so on a motorway hard shoulder.....

If you believe that, I've got a genuine Rolex to sell you for a fiver ;-)

Reactions: Adopado
I keep a space saver tyre in the boot, it came with a nice carry bag that makes it look tidy. It really doesn't take up as much space as you may think, I was expecting far worse. I still have a perfectly usable boot, plenty of space for a family supermarket shop and more.

Regarding efficiency, I've not noticed any change on my hour long commute.

It' just gives me peace of mind. I know it's not essential, but one day I'll feel smug when I use it and I'm on my way again in no time.

Reactions: M3noob and D1939
Since the Model 3 doesn't come with a spare wheel of any kind, what do you do if you get a puncture? I assume call Tesla Roadside Assistance or AA if you have it?

Has anyone used one of these before:

AirMan ResQ Emergancy Tyre Repair Kit, with easy valve through punture repair tyre selant, Air Compressor, suitable for all car makes and models : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

And if you use it, does the tyre actually need to be completely replaced once you get to a garage or whatever? Or can the fluid be removed, tyre repaired (if possible) with no permanent damage/affect on the tyre/wheel?

Edit: Perhaps I should have read the item description above - you can wash it out to repair the tyre. Still - has anyone used/got one and are they any good?

This what you do if you get a puncture. Unless you want to wait for Tesla's vacant promise of road side service. Void if they don't have a replacement handy or its on a Sunday or if you're in the back of beyond (or France). AA is a good idea ;-)

Blue cheese wedge is not part of the Road Hero bundle but all else is. Wedges allow jack to fit under the car with a puck. Amazon is where I got mine. Wedge technology recommended by AA .
IMG_20210711_151013_067.jpg

This what you do if you get a puncture. Unless you want to wait for Tesla's vacant promise of road side service. Void if they don't have a replacement handy or its on a Sunday or if you're in the back of beyond (or France). AA is a good idea ;-)

Blue cheese wedge is not part of the Road Hero bundle but all else is. Wedges allow jack to fit under the car with a puck. Amazon is where I got mine. Wedge technology recommended by AA .View attachment 683419
Any chance of an Amazon link to the blue cheese wedge? I can't find it, only car ramps that come in pairs.

Fwiw, having seen the inside of the Michelin Ps tyres with the foam strip, I can see no reason why a repair couldn't be done using a plug kit. It's literally a thin strip of foam glued to the inside of the tyre

I think you are right and for anyone comfortable doing that it is probably worth it as an option. Just cut out the section of foam around the puncture area.

For me, I had a couple of situations in previous cars when the tyre was totally irreparable, so I was very glad of a spare to get me and the car home at night. I did ponder about getting a spare for a while, but having got it I am now very happy about it and with no negatives to report. Even for those who use breakdown cover for a puncture, totally understandable, then having the spare just simplifies that process as well.