TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What to do in a car wash?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by smilepak, Jul 17, 2016.

1. smilepak

smilepak Member

Since getting the MS I've been hand washing, but the two times I've taken it to a car wash I have had bad experiences

1. They don't know how to keep it in neutral when exiting the car

2. I've taken it to one of those self wash where you put in neutral and sit as the car moves through the was. The side mirror on passenger side popped out. The whole freaked casing hanging from a electrical wire. Luckily it wasn't broken I can pop it back in.

Was I supposed to fold in the mirror in these car wash?

It seems to me the MS is a bit fragile

• Informative x 1
  2. jfoxny

jfoxny Member

Always fold your mirrors in a car wash. Many car washes will tell you that. I've been using a touch less wash. The manual has a section on this and recommends touch less washes.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

agreed, I use only touchless washers, I would never use one of the washers where the car is dragged through.
    some people on here will only hand wash their cars

• Like x 1
  4. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

I hope to find a good local guy that will come out and hand wash while I am at work or something.

I havent seen many touchless washers here in the DFW area but also havent looked too hard as I havent spoiled my current cars like I plan on doing to the Tesla .

5. 808?

808? Member

Hand wash with baby soap.

• Funny x 3
  6. Krypto Kat

Krypto Kat Member

Sorry, to be so nonchalant about sheet metal, but I auto brush wash all my expensive cars.:oops: Just not willing to pay so much for the car only to be inconvenienced by it. I don't make enough to afford a butler who will hand wash the car for me.:rolleyes: at my convenience.

• Informative x 1
  7. STbreaker

STbreaker Member

I'm not against the idea of automatic car washes, particularly during winter, but I am worried about scratching the rims on the guide rail. Even the touchless close to me has one to initiate the wash

8. kort677

kort677 Active Member

the issue with the brushes in car washes is that the paint on the tesla is very 'soft paint' due to the draconian environmental regs in place in CA where the cars are built. you would be wise to avoid those car washers with the brushes.

9. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I came from the boat of "it's car, wash it whenever/however you chose". After a year, I decided to get it re-waxed. The mobile detailed got rid of all my holograms, and a lot of my swirls. Told me that the swirls are mostly due to the "touch" carwashes and if I want to maintain a swirl free car I need to only use carwashes that are touchless.

I'm giving it a shot, don't think I'll last a full year going to only touch less carwashes, as they do a much worse job than a typical car wash.

10. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Turn off the auto rain sensing wiper function, a friend of mine had massive damage done to the entire wiper mechanism because this was not done!

• Helpful x 3
  11. smilepak

smilepak Member

In the automated car wash, even touchless....how do you put the car in Neutral while not in the car anyhow? What is the "carwash" mode?

12. smilepak

smilepak Member

Wouldn't some of the swirl comes from the small grain of sand while driving too? So in a way, it'll be there regardless?

13. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Hence "mostly", not "only" due to...

I'll see how it holds up in half a year before deciding if I'm going to go back to not caring or stick with caring about swirls.

14. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

I'm a hand wash only person. Have been for years. But, I can do this year-round since there is a car wash available for residents in one of the heated underground garages at my apartment complex. I have special car wash rags that I try to keep clean to prevent scratches on the car.

15. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Always in Ludicrous mode

my tip for automatic car wash.... DONT :D

16. Joules Verne

Joules Verne Member

What, did you expect an answer to your straight-forward question?

Sorry, I don't know.

I'm in the hand wash it myself camp. I adopted the optimum no rinse method:
    Amazon.com: Optimum (NR2010Q) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 32 oz.: Automotive

Works great. Quick. Easy. Can do it in my garage, since no hose is used to spray the car.

• Helpful x 1
  17. STbreaker

STbreaker Member

I didn't have a hose at my last 2 places so I also have been using Optimum no rinse for a while. CA people use it I'm sure with the water problems and since I'm now living in a place where winter happens, it's great for garage washes. It's fine as long as your car isn't caked in mud or anything.

As far as neutral goes, the feature is actually called "tow mode." It's buried under controls > settings > driving I believe. I think they show it in one of the Tesla touch screen instructional videos.

• Helpful x 1
  18. tstorm

tstorm Member

I'm fine with using a touchless car wash. I had heard or read something about avoiding undercarriage spray due to the battery under there but then saw the video about the tesla driving through a river like a boat, eliminated that concern...

However, I have noticed that after an automatic car wash the air conditioning takes on a musty smell sometimes. I have a feeling water is getting in somewhere it shouldn't. Probably something unique about my car but who knows, I've been avoiding the car wash since.

19. Barry

Barry Member

I use a touchless car wash regularly. When the water is spraying, I usually turn off the climate control. Never noticed a musty smell. Yesterday, it was about 95 degrees when I got my wash done, so I turned on the AC with Recirc on, while getting washed. No issues.

• Like x 1
  20. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E