Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do it Tesla can't fix my model 3. Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have posted before about how my m3 after 3000 miles is having issues being unable to charge and throwing errors all the time and on occasion refusing to drive. It has been to the service centre twice on a flat bed now. I got the car back yesterday after they replaced the charge port, the 12v battery, the high voltage controller and everything looked good. Car charged fine at home but when I went to drive it it started throwing the same errors about unable to charge (it wasn't connected to the further at this point) and wouldn't drive. The same symptoms as before. In desperation I drove it straight to service centre today. Here is the catch. I have to leave la on Monday to drive across the country to start a new job on the East coast.
Realistically if they can't fix the car by Monday what do I do?
I have already paid for accommodation and arranged meetings etc. Along the way. Changing plans will incur some expenses.
Tesla had been nothing but helpful and accomodating but toys situation is a little desparate now!
Options I see are:

I could drive the car and hope for the best and risk getting stranded 1000 miles from either coast(can I get a tow from la to nyc?!)
I could fly and request Tesla ship the car to east coast (might this be reasonable request?)
I could fit and forgo my $54000 car for 6 months until I return
I could request/demand Tesla give me a loaner for 6 months
I could try California lemon law and demand a new car when I get to east coast.
Who could I contact at Tesla to help me resolve this? Tweet Elon directly?

Wow, sounds like you’re definitely in a bind and sorry to hear about your experience. In my opinion I think the most that they’d do for you would be to give you a loaner but I’m sure that would be only until it was fixed so that’s most likely not a very good option. I’d speak with the SC manager and explain your dilemma and see where it goes. Lemon law may be an option but that could take a long time. I had a lemon law case and it took about a year for resolution. I wouldn’t trust driving it across the country with the repeated issues you’ve had, but that’s just my 2 cents.

Reactions: GSP and P85_DA
It's too quick for the lemon law. In most cases I've seen reported to TMC the lemon law wasn't actually invoked, but Tesla would take the car back. But, this was only after a bunch of issues.

If I was in your shoes I'd drive the car to the east coast because i'm a stubborn mule. This is assuming I got the car back in time.

If I didn't then I'd fly, and try to get them to ship it. They ship cars all the time so maybe it wouldn't be a big deal.

Reactions: spesler and P85_DA
Are you sure it’s not your home charger that’s causing the issue? What setup did you have?
I did think about this, maybe the tesla charging cable. Turret haven't mentioned it yet. I just have it plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet. I assume that it there was orpo voltage etc. Being supplied the car charging unit would have enough protection to protect against it.
I tried supercharging and it was fine one time and the second time it wouldn't charge and the charge cable was locked to the car and I had to do a manual release.

You may not be so far from lemon territory. I'd ask them to ship it for you. Car companies will bend over backwards to avoid a lemon law application.

So did they replace the onboard charger? I had limited charging/unable to charge issues and that is what they had to replace. Took several days to get the part in though.

Fly across country, get a loaner on both ends, and have them ship the car. Shipping is not so expensive - should be in the range of $1,000 if done privately for a single car.
Do you think it's reasonable for them to pay for shipping? I mean I am having to cancel a week long trip/vacation including hotels etc. Because of this failure. I have them almost a month to work on it. Seems the least they can do. Archive manager didn'td want to pay for shipping.

Just wanted to follow up. I have been working with the service manager and they have been 100% committed, professional and helpful throughout this. I think we have a decent plan to resolve the situation (assuming they can fix the car at all). Tesla may have a lot of issues with quality, the service centers maybe drowning in cars but their level of service is exceptional even in incredibly stressful situations (witnessing manager dealing with extremely difficult client today).

Reactions: spesler and MP3Mike