Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do: New 2016 MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Facing a dilemma right now with the latest announcement for the $2500 upgrade to MCU2. I just purchased my first Tesla last month for $65k which is a 12/16 build that has AP2/MCU1 I thought a got a great deal with this so called "unicorn" late build that has AP2/MCU1 throughTesla, thought I was future proofing with this purchase.

Fast forward to today with the announcement and I am now realizing that in order to really future proof my MX, I am now going to have to spend an additional 9500 ($7k FSD + $2500 MCU2).

My question now is, as I know there are some in a similar situation, is it worth trying to trade-in or sell my vehicle for a newer X, possibly an 17 or 18 that already has FSD or even MCU2 as now my purchase price for the car will be about $75k.

At this price point, which I dont really want to be at, is it worth upgrading to a newer model?

What did you get a 75? 90? P90?

As of this moment you can snag a AP2/FSD 2016 Model X | Tesla for $60,200. Granted its blue, on tan....all depends on what is important to you.

For example, last week I bought one for $64k...P90DL black on white with literally every additional option..except its AP1. For me, the AP2.0 features and potential for FSD aren't important / I feel like there is still a small chance for an upgrade pathway at some point. So basically what I am saying is...only YOU know the answer to this.

• Disagree
Reactions: rob4448585
Only you can answer the how much $$$ is worth to you.

For us when we bought our 2017 75D X I knew I didn't want to spend anything extra on the car, hence didn't even order AP.

But when I saw Tesla was advancing AP, and than Tesla dropped the price of FSD to $5k I bit. Now that the MCU2 retrofit is here I will sign up for that.

My logic is simple, the range of our X is more than enough for our use, so even if I was to convince my self to order a brand new X the only real benefit is MCU2. Living in the UK the net cost to change would be around £50k (or the price of a AWD LR Model 3), add in I have free unlimited Supercharger usage + free for life premium connectivity spending £2.5k on the MCU2 retrofit is a no brainer.

Add to the fact I 'know' our X, I know all the stuffs thats been replaced already, I know the FWDs don't make weird noises when closing, I know there is no issue with rain intrusion with FWD use, I know the acceleration sudder is now fixed. Where as with a brand new X you have no guarantee any of the above woudlnt be there.

Good luck making your decision, overall these are great cars, with the MCU2 upgrade I have no issues keeping ours for the full 8 years of the battery/motor warranty, and if Tesla ever offer an battery upgrade, our X may be a car that stays in the family almost indefinitely!!

"trade-in or sell my vehicle for a newer X, possibly an 17 or 18 that already has FSD"

As far as i know, the FSD license coupled to a car is NOT transferrable to a new owner. If i'm right, there is no such thing as "a car that already has FSD". Please verify with Tesla and get a written statement from them!!

"trade-in or sell my vehicle for a newer X, possibly an 17 or 18 that already has FSD"

As far as i know, the FSD license coupled to a car is NOT transferrable to a new owner. If i'm right, there is no such thing as "a car that already has FSD". Please verify with Tesla and get a written statement from them!!
This is completely false. Please stop spreading fake information. Tesla themselves sell used vehicles with FSD.

Thank you all for your responses. On the Tesla site (or evcpohunter) there are a few that are "FSD capable". I am kinda just leaning towards upgrading to MCU2 and wait the FSD out. Just did a quote on the tesla site and got a resounding $48k for the 75D X, i just bought last month for $65k. Maybe in a few months, Ill try and do a private party sale for somewhere near what i purchased and hopefully the newer Xs have gone down with the Y releases

This is completely false. Please stop spreading fake information. Tesla themselves sell used vehicles with FSD.

There are several known cases of people buying used Tesla's which used to have FSD but they (the new owner) was told he/she had to pay for the license again (the hardware was already in the car).
As there is a lot of confusion around this topic (same goes for used cars still having free supercharging or not), I merely recommended the topic-starter to get a written statement from Tesla (regardless if yes or no).

Concerning your AP1 car. You wrote "I feel like there is still a small chance for an upgrade pathway at some point" in the context of "I bought an AP1 car but it might be upgradeable to a later AP version". This is not possible (Tesla won't do it).

That is all I said. Now stop being such an oversensitive person. You are blowing things out of proportion.
I can see you from here, boiling on your seat in front of your computer, perceiving me als someone that spreads mis-information, making you all angry 'n sh*t. Read what you want to read. Interpret things how you want. It's your blood-pressure mate.

There are several known cases of people buying used Tesla's which used to have FSD but they (the new owner) was told he/she had to pay for the license again (the hardware was already in the car).
As there is a lot of confusion around this topic (same goes for used cars still having free supercharging or not), I merely recommended the topic-starter to get a written statement from Tesla (regardless if yes or no).

Concerning your AP1 car. You wrote "I feel like there is still a small chance for an upgrade pathway at some point" in the context of "I bought an AP1 car but it might be upgradeable to a later AP version". This is not possible (Tesla won't do it).

That is all I said. Now stop being such an oversensitive person. You are blowing things out of proportion.
I can see you from here, boiling on your seat in front of your computer, perceiving me als someone that spreads mis-information, making you all angry 'n sh*t. Read what you want to read. Interpret things how you want. It's your blood-pressure mate.

Those reports are more than a year old and as I said, Tesla themselves sell cars with full FSD.

I don't know what sort of crystal ball you have, but my sentiment around there being the potential for a small chance for an upgrade pathway sometime in the future is prima facia reasonable. The technology itself is progressing on a daily basis--we don't know what's coming. You simply cannot unequivocally rule that out today. And please, no need to be nasty. We're all adults here.

The case of FSD being removed was strange, from what I read the original owner didn't pay for FSD and it was "accidentally" enabled before being sold several more times. I've seen others saying the same thing but no verification from them. I can however give my own experience, my X has FSD on it and I purchased from a 3rd party dealer. It also shows on the Monroney sticker as purchased originally.

I'm kind of in the same situation, except I already have FSD paid for, so trying to decide if I want to get a Model Y performance or stick with the X and pay for the MCU2 upgrade whenever my turn to get HW3 comes around... On a side note, much like every other expensive car I've ever owned, the value on Teslas (previously owned an S and now an X) drops like a rock... The 3 looks to be an outlier...
I got a quote from Tesla and carvana for mine, Carvana was $500 less than Tesla but both are a slap in the face. lol

Reactions: StoXto3toY
Thanks clyjr, wasnt expecting thebprice drop to be that big, but oh well. i really do like the car alot and despite reading that there is a night and day difference between a 16 amd 19/20, i think the improvements, minus the range and HW3, are incremental at best with the interior, suspension, driveability, etc. This is my first EV and it has been great so far, with the only exception being now I may have to fork out a little more now or within the next few months for MCU2 and FSD whereas I could've spent the additional $10k and probably could've got an 18 with the FSD.

Thanks clyjr, wasnt expecting thebprice drop to be that big, but oh well. i really do like the car alot and despite reading that there is a night and day difference between a 16 amd 19/20, i think the improvements, minus the range and HW3, are incremental at best with the interior, suspension, driveability, etc. This is my first EV and it has been great so far, with the only exception being now I may have to fork out a little more now or within the next few months for MCU2 and FSD whereas I could've spent the additional $10k and probably could've got an 18 with the FSD.

I have a 2016 P90D and just drove a Performance Jan 2020 MX - and there is a marked difference in suspension and drivability. It actually feels like a 90-100K+ car - enough that I am now looking to sell my 2016 and get a new 2020.

Reactions: IdaX
Thanks clyjr, wasnt expecting thebprice drop to be that big, but oh well. i really do like the car alot and despite reading that there is a night and day difference between a 16 amd 19/20, i think the improvements, minus the range and HW3, are incremental at best with the interior, suspension, driveability, etc. This is my first EV and it has been great so far, with the only exception being now I may have to fork out a little more now or within the next few months for MCU2 and FSD whereas I could've spent the additional $10k and probably could've got an 18 with the FSD.[/QUOTE
A couple things to consider. Your X I assume has free supercharging and connectivity for life which newer cars do not have. If you have the premium upgrade package, tow package, cold weather, and upgraded sound, you are at least at the same level as an '18. The ventilated seats are a plus which current models/18 do not have. There isn't much difference from the post Oct/16 to 18 models other than the MCU, AP, and battery 100 vs. 90. So, I think you would be good upgrading both MCU and FSD. They will be starting to upgrade FSD on AP2.0 vehicles starting early April...according to the recent press release. It also sounded like if you get the MCU when it is available FSD can be installed at the same time. I would stick with what you have if an 18 is your option.

Just bought last month and under 50k, so still got the 4 year warranty. @turtlesz, i randomly check on evcpohunter from time to time and see deals like that 100D and see what couldve been and now that ill be paying 10k more for something i couldve gotten for less, hurts. i guess its all about timing

Just bought last month and under 50k, so still got the 4 year warranty. @turtlesz, i randomly check on evcpohunter from time to time and see deals like that 100D and see what couldve been and now that ill be paying 10k more for something i couldve gotten for less, hurts. i guess its all about timing

True, just depends what is important to you. FSD, 6 seater, bigger battery and most importantly the thrill of being able to stomp on the pedal and go 0-60 in 2.8 seconds has significant value to some like me. With the MCU 2 upgrade path available I think it will make the 2017/2018 MCU1 ap2.5 cars more desirable again.

What's going to be aggravating is that the MCU2 upgrade most likely won't help trade in values. It might help private party sales (if the buyer is knowledgeable), but I'll bet KBB,etc... won't ever get updated with an MCU2 upgrade option just like FSD being paid for doesn't currently show on trade or private party values.
Based on that thought I'm thinking I won't do the MCU2 upgrade since I'll most likely be trading in on one of the many EV trucks coming out.