Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do? Some solar panels shaded late in the afternoon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished installing solar panels with Tesla. I asked to put all the solar panels on the west side thinking it's better for peak hour performance. There is a little bit of shade from the chimney from the west side but it only covers a small portion of the roof. However, I just learned that Tesla's panels are connected in series, one panel being shaded can impact the production of all the other panels. As a result, this design will negatively impact the solar output late in the afternoon in summer time. Please see the attachment for the solar panel design and the roof view.

Tesla never told me about this when I asked to change the default design. Does anyone have advice on what I can do about it for remedy?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 2.43.45 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 2.43.45 PM.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 2.44.23 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 2.44.23 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
Tesla uses string inverters and not micro-inverters so wouldn't any shading still be an issue? Can you explain further? Thanks

c40833-SR_String&MicroInverters3.jpg
Looks like an image made by someone selling microinverters:D. That's not how a string inverter works. Each panel has multiple bypass diodes so that if the panel is shaded the current in the string can bypass the solar cells in then panel. The rest of the panels in the string function normally. If the shading is not complete the inclusion of multiple diodes allows for only a portion of the shaded panel's solar cells to be bypassed retaining some production in the shaded panel, but again it does not affect other panels in the string.

Microinverters do add redundancy to the system so your whole system doesn't get taken down by a single failed inverter.

See the below thread for a good discussion on microinverters and optimizers..

While I own micro-inverters personally, I appreciate and understand DC string inverters well enough. What you want to find out is if Tesla uses "DC Optimizers" in your system (I don't know Tesla solar systems). DC optimizers address the majority of your concern, basically deliver the same isolation capabilities of micro inverters.

While I own micro-inverters personally, I appreciate and understand DC string inverters well enough. What you want to find out is if Tesla uses "DC Optimizers" in your system (I don't know Tesla solar systems). DC optimizers address the majority of your concern, basically deliver the same isolation capabilities of micro inverters.
That was for solaredge inverters only.

Looks like an image made by someone selling microinverters:D. That's not how a string inverter works. Each panel has multiple bypass diodes so that if the panel is shaded the current in the string can bypass the solar cells in then panel. The rest of the panels in the string function normally. If the shading is not complete the inclusion of multiple diodes allows for only a portion of the shaded panel's solar cells to be bypassed retaining some production in the shaded panel, but again it does not affect other panels in the string.

Microinverters do add redundancy to the system so your whole system doesn't get taken down by a single failed inverter.

Also, modern inverters like the Tesla inverter have such a wide voltage range that I think even 2 panels in a string will hit startup voltage (depending on the panels) so I think a string of as small as 3-4 will work barely though it may be out of best MPPT range and rated efficiency.

This is important because a bypass diode drops the panel out of production when it has a hard shade. So on a string of 6 panels, 1-2 shaded panels will be bypassed with the diode, and the other 4 panels can produce most of full power. If 4-5 panels are shaded, the remaining 1-2 may not fire at all, because the startup voltage of the PV inverter is not reached.

Microinverters, and Solar Edge inverters do harvest better in any partial shade condition, but even Solar Edge inverters are not immune to the startup voltage problem. Typically the DC-DC optimizers have a maximum output voltage of about 80V and the target voltage for the SE inverter is 350-400VDC. So if you have a string of 10 Solar Edge optimizers and modules, you can only afford to have about 5-6 modules see hard shade before the entire string might drop out of production. The remaining 4-5 modules in the Solar Edge String will not produce much if any power in these conditions.

Thank you. So you are saying Tesla uses these bypass diodes in their panels, correct?

All panels use bypass diodes. They are also a safety feature so that the panel doesn't catch fire.
Thank you. I am getting Tesla to install my system and will have an all south facing array. My roof is a very simple roof, so all the panels will be in a rectangle shape minus any gaps for roof venting.

My concern is I will have some shading issues in the morning and evening as my property is surrounded by trees. So I’m trying to learn about all these things beforehand - MPPT, bypass diodoes, optimizers, etc. to make sure Tesla doesn’t screw me with a shoddy install.

Thank you. I am getting Tesla to install my system and will have an all south facing array. My roof is a very simple roof, so all the panels will be in a rectangle shape minus any gaps for roof venting.

My concern is I will have some shading issues in the morning and evening as my property is surrounded by trees. So I’m trying to learn about all these things beforehand - MPPT, bypass diodoes, optimizers, etc. to make sure Tesla doesn’t screw me with a shoddy install.
If you haven't already I would recommend requesting the full project plan from Tesla which will show exactly how they intend to wire everything up.

Reactions: Jeremy3292