Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do when no Nema 14-50 adapters available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would buy a 6-50 adapter (which is available right now on Tesla's website) and swap out the NEMA 14-50 receptacle in the wall with a high quality 6-50 receptacle (Hubbell or Bryant). Same current capability, just different plug arrangement. You'd be all set. The white neutral wire wouldn't be used in the wall, and that could be tied off with a wire nut...

My tesla also came with a J1172 adapter. Is there such a thing as a J1172 to Nema 14-50 adapter as an alternative until I can find a 14-50 adapter?

Thanks.
Not sure you're asking a proper question. The J1772 adapter is used to convert a Level 2 charging station's (EVSE) output (the end of the cable used to charge an EV) to the Tesla's input (the charge port on the car which receives the power from the EVSE). A NEMA 14-50 adapter is used by the Gen2 mobile connector to get AC power from a 240V 14-50 wall socket. Totally different things and you can't convert one to the other.

As @RandyS suggests, if the Tesla Shop and EVSEadapters.com are out of stock of the Tesla Gen2 mobile connector NEMA 14-50 adapter and you need to setup charging ASAP, then you can convert your existing outlet to a 6-50 type (grab a Hubbell 6-50R from Home Depot or Amazon) and order a NEMA 6-50 from Tesla. If you do not have the skills and tools to do the job yourself, I highly recommend that you get a professional electrician to do the work.

Reactions: XPsionic
I would buy a 6-50 adapter (which is available right now on Tesla's website) and swap out the NEMA 14-50 receptacle in the wall with a high quality 6-50 receptacle (Hubbell or Bryant). Same current capability, just different plug arrangement. You'd be all set. The white neutral wire wouldn't be used in the wall, and that could be tied off with a wire nut...
Thanks. Kinda sucks that I just had the 15-40 outlet installed (moving into a new house in a couple of weeks).

But that wont work if the OP wants to also charge at (say) camping sites with 14-50.

But that wont work if the OP wants to also charge at (say) camping sites with 14-50.
True, but a brand new Tesla driver usually isn't thinking about campsites on Day 1. My suggested solution would be something that is available now and then he can get a 14-50 adapter when they come back in stock on the Tesla website, at a Tesla service center or from eBay in the meantime if he wants to go on the road to campsites...

Reactions: gaswalla
Options are to get the whole pack for $250 (which does include a 14-50 plus everything else), buy a 6-50 plug and receptacle, buy a scalped 14-50 plug, or buy a third party 14-50 plug.

You could also get the 6-50 and a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter to use your existing receptacle - but you’d want to make sure you’re getting a high quality piece with appropriately rated and terminated wires.

Something like this would work NEMA 14-30P/14-50P/14-60P to 6-50R Universal Adapter, 2 ft. – EVSE Adapters

Or this NEMA 14-50P to 6-50R Adapter, 2 ft. – EVSE Adapters

Last edited:
I think the option with the most flexibility is to get the N6-50 and a high quality adapter - see post #12 by @terranx

You wind up with a setup that can plug in to both an N6-50 and an N14-50, you know, assuming you can't easily source a TMC N14-50 adapter.

FWIW, outside of the RV park use case, an N6-50 works exactly the same as an N14-50 in the context of charging your EV. An N14-50 can supply both 120/240v, which is handy for an RV (where you have 120v lighting and maybe a stove or dryer on 240, and want a single cable to power the whole vehicle.

We actually opted for an N6-50 outlet when we got our 50a circuit installed, we have a 40a EVSE using that plug spec, and I picked up the Tesla 6-50 adapter for the TMC for a backup. :)

Thanks. Kinda sucks that I just had the 15-40 outlet installed (moving into a new house in a couple of weeks).
I'm not sure how close you are to a Tesla Service Center but you might want to try and just show up or call if it's a little bit of a drive and see if they have one available to purchase. That's how I picked mine up at two different service centers. I think I paid $40-$45.

When Tesla is out of stock, you can look elsewhere. There are people reselling them on ebay and amazon (most are price-scalpers though!). My company also makes a Tesla-compatible NEMA 14-50 adapter which works the same as the OEM ones. Actually we're the only non-OEM alternative, so when the OEM adapters are out of stock you can find our adapters for sale at various online stores. I'd recommend doing a web search for "tesla nema 14-50 adapter" to find stores that carry them at reasonable prices.

• Informative
Reactions: DaveRZ
When Tesla is out of stock, you can look elsewhere. There are people reselling them on ebay and amazon (most are price-scalpers though!). My company also makes a Tesla-compatible NEMA 14-50 adapter which works the same as the OEM ones. Actually we're the only non-OEM alternative, so when the OEM adapters are out of stock you can find our adapters for sale at various online stores. I'd recommend doing a web search for "tesla nema 14-50 adapter" to find stores that carry them at reasonable prices.
Are you promoting your company?