Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do when Power Frunk Completely Fails to Open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the Hansshow power frunk in early November. I used it dozens of times, working perfectly every time. In mid December I stopped for a few groceries and popped it to get my shopping bags. When I came back 20 minutes later it wouldn't open. I can hear the mechanism trying to release but nothing happens. The emergency release cable does not work. It has been weeks and no amount of time or warmer temps have resolved it. It's stuck closed.

I did see another member who had the same experience and had to take it to the dealer so they could break into the frunk for a cost of $700. Before I go that route, how have other people dealt with this problem?

Thanks to member dspero for sending me a video from EVOffer on using the release cable. With their method of using two pairs of pliers to create additional leverage I was able to pull the cable tight enough to unlatch the frunk. It also broke the cable. So basically, the emergency release cable is a one time use option: if you pull it hard enough to work it breaks. I was able to uninstall the failed Hansshow kit without a $1000 trip to the dealer luckily. Back to manual frunk use for me, unfortunately, but after this experience I would NEVER use another Hansshow product.

I ordered directly from their site in November, the newest version they have which is V5. Save yourself a ton of headache on both the install and failure. It was great while it worked, but not worth the extreme hassle when it fails. As for their response, it was basically like this:

Me: the power frunk has failed. Stuck closed. Release cable does not work.
Them: Did you try the release cable?
Me: Yes, as I said it doesn't work. Tried many times, and in combination with pushing frunk button on app.
Them: sends a 10 second video of someone pulling the cable on an uninstalled kit and says "try this".
Me: I have tried that a dozen times. It does not release no matter how hard I pull.
Them: no further reply.

Reactions: Luisito
I ordered directly from their site in November, the newest version they have which is V5. Save yourself a ton of headache on both the install and failure. It was great while it worked, but not worth the extreme hassle when it fails. As for their response, it was basically like this:

Me: the power frunk has failed. Stuck closed. Release cable does not work.
Them: Did you try the release cable?
Me: Yes, as I said it doesn't work. Tried many times, and in combination with pushing frunk button on app.
Them: sends a 10 second video of someone pulling the cable on an uninstalled kit and says "try this".
Me: I have tried that a dozen times. It does not release no matter how hard I pull.
Them: no further reply.
Can you please share what you think caused the failure? Was it an install issue? I just noticed your thread and I have included my experience in this thread with pics:

Post in thread 'EVOffer & Hansshow auto frunk - do they report status properly? And reliability?'
EVOffer & Hansshow auto frunk - do they report status properly? And reliability?

I used EV Offer and their support was great. The support tech was the one that shared using the two pliers on the emergency release cable.

This happened to me as well and here are my observations and the fixed.
1. Frunk failed to open due to ice build up.
2. Did not do any attempt to open it again but just continued to drive. After about 30 min while driving on the highway, suddenly the message "frunk is open" popped up. And a few minutes later, the car limited my speed to about 20Km/Hr, luckily I already exited the highway.
3. After I stopped and without even getting off the car, I just open the frunk from the screen (it opened all the way this time) then closed the frunk again. (Success!!!)
4. Another freezing cold event (-10 C). I open the frunk and didn't open. I pulled the emergency release cable this time and still couldn't open. Tried several times but still couldn't open.
5. Drove for about an hour and no frunk warning.
6. The next day, I poured warm water around the hood, especially around the latch area, suddenly the frunk popped a little bit by about 1/2 of an each.
7. I opened the frunk again but still failed. Then tried again but this time I grabbed the edge of the hood close to the latch. As soon as I heard the solenoid pulled the latch, I helped the hood to move up and it opened. Success!!
8. But now, the frunk doesn't close. The latch is not engaging properly.
9. I removed the plastic latch cover to check the latch mechanism. The emergency release cable was preventing the latch spring to move freely.
10. After I removed the emergency release cable from the latch mechanism, I can now open and close the frunk again without any issues.
11. My conclusion, it was the emergency release cable that jammed the latch mechanism. Needs to be redesign.
12. In winter times, if the frunk failed to open, do not try to pull the emergency release cable. Just drive around or pour warm water or anything that could melt the ice to break the bond.
13. And yes, I will still keep my power frunk.

so cold weather is probably the main cause for it not working properly?

was thinking of getting this and the auto present door handles, but not sure if the products are bad and bound to malfunction within less than a year or so.

Agreed! Its the cold weather. And the emergency release cable is a bad design. You really need to pull it hard, up to the point of breaking to make it work.
Work around for now, don't use it if the weather is below freezing point. And try not use the emergency cable, it will more likely jammed the latch mechanism.

Reactions: fredzos
Agreed! Its the cold weather. And the emergency release cable is a bad design. You really need to pull it hard, up to the point of breaking to make it work.
Work around for now, don't use it if the weather is below freezing point. And try not use the emergency cable, it will more likely jammed the latch mechanism.
INCORRECT. It can fail in any temperature. Mine failed when it was 45 degrees, and after sitting in the heated garage (turned it up to 70 degrees) for days it still would not open. Hansshow's poor quality is the problem. And now they're giving me the run around on a refund. I would avoid their products completely. I wish the power frunk worked because it really nice while it worked, but a huge hassle when it fails.

I can confirm that the emergency release is junk. There are two choices when trying it: pull really hard and the frunk won't open, or pull extremely hard and the frunk will open but breaks the cable. It's a one time use cable. I've seen several people say the same thing: didn't work until I pulled so hard it broke, then the frunk opened. And what choice do you have at that point but to uninstall the failed parts or have it be stuck closed again, this time without a release cable?

I hear really really really bad things about the hanshhow auto frunk. Tons of reviews just like this. So it makes me want to get the evOffer version. The problem Is that both versions look exactly the same on the pictures!! Both are "v5" and both have the exact same parts. Makes me wonder if both came out the same factory

The problem Is that both versions look exactly the same on the pictures!! Both are "v5" and both have the exact same parts. Makes me wonder if both came out the same factory

Amazon has Hansshow advertising as "V10".

EVOffer, I thought, has a switch at the latch as an additional safety mechanism that "makes sure hood is caught before latching"? I do not see that on the Hansshow.

I read that EVOffer has better support, but no personal experience.

I haven't researched, but do the controller boxes and connectors look the same?

Amazon has Hansshow advertising as "V10".

EVOffer, I thought, has a switch at the latch as an additional safety mechanism that "makes sure hood is caught before latching"? I do not see that on the Hansshow.

I read that EVOffer has better support, but no personal experience.

I haven't researched, but do the controller boxes and connectors look the same?

That's funny, on hanshow's official website it lists it as V5. What a bullshit company.

Yes everything looks the same. even the 3 part struts.

Reactions: DM 171950
Don't let frunk not opening scare you away from having power frunk, my frunk was pretty much useless without it. With or without power frunk, I have had issues opening it during extreme cold conditions. My only advice, due to bad emergency cable design, DO NOT USE it unless it's really necessary. If the frunk failed to open, just find ways to melt the ice that is preventing the frunk from opening.

Reactions: kfc2