Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do when the App stops connecting AND my vehicle is in for replacement of the MCU (eMMC recall)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched this forum and the broader internet, as well as emailing and live chatting with Tesla about this. My 2014 Model S had the center display stop working. We did the VIN number recall search and it was obvious we needed to have the eMMC/MCU replaced. As you all know, you can only schedule a service appointment through the Tesla App. Well, the app on my new-ish iPhone wouldn't connect. Restarted phone, made sure all updates were run, deleted and reinstalled the app - still wouldn't connect. My husband checked the app on his phone (logging in under my account) and it was working just fine so he scheduled the service.

We dropped the car off on Tuesday morning and were told we'd get updates through the app. Well, shortly after dropping the car off, my husband's app also stopped connecting. Now, we have no way to find out what's going on with our vehicle. I've tried calling directly but, if any of you have ever tried to actually call and speak with a live human being at Tesla, it is impossible and you can't even leave a voice message. The outgoing greeting says to "check your app for updates and messages about your service". So, what do you if the app isn't working?

Has anyone had this app issue before and have any suggestions to resolve it? It seems a little crazy that there is just one single method of communication with Tesla - an app - and if it's not working or you lose your phone, that's it. What's the back-up method? And, naturally, it's enormously frustrating to not have any idea of what's going on with our vehicle or when it might be ready to be picked up. Some might say, why not just head over to the service center, but ours is almost an hour drive away. Also, my husband can't just up and leave work for a couple of hours on the random hope that the car will be ready.

Weirdly, we did get an email the same day we dropped the car off saying that these parts were ordered. Interesting that they have ordered a "remanufactured" daughterboard. Here is the list from that email:
  1. CBL,COAXIAL.50.OHM,100mm.U.FL
    Part #: 1010854-00-A
    Order Date: May 4, 2021
  2. MSX VCM, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-A - PROVISIONED (64 GB) - REMANUFACTURED
    Part #: 2728212-S0-A
    Order Date: May 4, 2021
Does this look right for those of you out there that may have had the eMMC replacement done? Thanks!

You can't connect to the car because of either/both that A) when you connect to the car, you're connect to the MCU, which has been/is being removed and B) it's generally standard practice for service techs to disable remote access when the car is in service (a safety issue, so you're not opening/closing/etc things while they're working).

Your app should update to show an expected completion time when they know one (which may be revised), and in addition to that your service advisor should also text you when it's ready.

Upvote 0
It is normal for them to turn off remote com while they're working on the car, can't have you honking the horn! Also normal to use an upgraded daughterboard with a new chip soldered on. Try calling the service department and using the "service in progress" option.
Thanks for the note. There wasn't a "service in progress" option but when I opt for "service" the automated system does recognize my phone number and that my vehicle is in there getting serviced and they even give me a message that my vehicle will be ready today. I guess we'll just hope for the best and head down there before 5:00 pm.

Upvote 0