Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What To Do While I Wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought my Tesla. Wondering if there is anything I need to do in the interim in order to fully prepare.

Already have payment and everything set up.
I'm a few weeks behind you since I live in the city and don't drive much. Waiting for my office to open back up in July for my 25 mile each way commute.

I would prefer a 50+ amp connection, but my garage came wired for an outlet 240v, 30 amp. So I already installed the outlet myself ($12 trip to Home Depot) and purchased the Tesla 14-30 adapter ($35). I'd say you want to have your charging situation down ASAP to ensure no mishaps. I also purchased the MY OEM front mud flaps ($40) and OEM rear door PPF ($50) from Tesla since they tend to go out of stock quite often. I intend to install the mud flaps at delivery since they take 5 min. to install.

Other things I'm doing is making an Amazon List of things I want to get. Feel free to take a look. I'm not necessarily going to get everything beforehand, but it's a wish list of sorts to keep my thoughts organized.

Shop around for insurance rates if you have not already done so. Wildly vary depending on where you live, your info, company. Threads on TMC about it, so if not already decided, get a broker or do your own shopping for best price.

Also you said you have payment setup, but just checking...I've read in the forums that Tesla will rate match. So if you are financing and looking for something to do, you have until 7 days post delivery to find a better rate and send it to Tesla for them to match it.

Last edited:
Read the manual. Then read it again.
Figure out how and where you are going to charge it. Order any plug adapter you want. Keep in mind that you will be limited at 80% of max amps, meaning a 30A circuit will only be drawing 24A max. 24A is usually fine for overnight charging.
Go to ABRP (A Better Routeplanner) and figure out how to get to various possible trip locations. Look at the charging options along the route.
This will help control any range aniexty.
Go to PlugShare (PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You) and look at what L2 chargers are available near home or any possible destinations.
Order any floor mats you want.
Do you have a SSD already formatted for Sentry mode and for the drive home?
I also ordered a few floor/door lights from AbstractOcean. Sadly, not enough. They make a big difference. The OEM is on the drivers side, the new AO light is on the passenger side. I had to cover the console screen as it was too bright.
Good luck and may the (Tesla) force be with you.

Attachments

• Lights_inside.jpg
    Lights_inside.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 87
Also you said you have payment setup, but just checking...I've read in the forums that Tesla will rate match. So if you are financing and looking for something to do, you have until 7 days post delivery to find a better rate and send it to Tesla for them to match it.

Definitely did that! And Tesla was able to beat out my CU! Glad I came on here and got that advice! THANK YOU!

Read the manual. Then read it again.
Figure out how and where you are going to charge it. Order any plug adapter you want. Keep in mind that you will be limited at 80% of max amps, meaning a 30A circuit will only be drawing 24A max. 24A is usually fine for overnight charging.
Go to ABRP (A Better Routeplanner) and figure out how to get to various possible trip locations. Look at the charging options along the route.
This will help control any range aniexty.
Go to PlugShare (PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You) and look at what L2 chargers are available near home or any possible destinations.
Order any floor mats you want.
Do you have a SSD already formatted for Sentry mode and for the drive home?
I also ordered a few floor/door lights from AbstractOcean. Sadly, not enough. They make a big difference. The OEM is on the drivers side, the new AO light is on the passenger side. I had to cover the console screen as it was too bright.
Good luck and may the (Tesla) force be with you.
WOW! That's a huge difference! I have plugshare now bookmarked on my browser. Definitely going to start using Routeplanner luckily my garage has plug ins and no EVs so I should be good there and they have the standard 1722 (sp?)

I'm a few weeks behind you since I live in the city and don't drive much. Waiting for my office to open back up in July for my 25 mile each way commute.

I would prefer a 50+ amp connection, but my garage came wired for an outlet 240v, 30 amp. So I already installed the outlet myself ($12 trip to Home Depot) and purchased the Tesla 14-30 adapter ($35). I'd say you want to have your charging situation down ASAP to ensure no mishaps. I also purchased the MY OEM front mud flaps ($40) and OEM rear door PPF ($50) from Tesla since they tend to go out of stock quite often. I intend to install the mud flaps at delivery since they take 5 min. to install.

Other things I'm doing is making an Amazon List of things I want to get. Feel free to take a look. I'm not necessarily going to get everything beforehand, but it's a wish list of sorts to keep my thoughts organized.
If you plan to use the Tesla Mobile Connector for daily charging you should have one of these: Cable Organizer (include chassis holder)
It is not obvious from the top photo but the chassis holder is included. The chassis holder is important because it takes the weight of the Mobile Connector electronics unit and the charging cord off of the NEMA power plug adapter and the receptacle. You can certainly adapt a hose hanger for the cable hanger, improvise another way of supporting the Mobile Connector chassis. Similar mounting products can be found on Amazon, Etsy and eBay.

Reactions: AlexHung
If you plan to use the Tesla Mobile Connector for daily charging you should have one of these: Cable Organizer (include chassis holder)
It is not obvious from the top photo but the chassis holder is included. The chassis holder is important because it takes the weight of the Mobile Connector electronics unit and the charging cord off of the NEMA power plug adapter and the receptacle. You can certainly adapt a hose hanger for the cable hanger, improvise another way of supporting the Mobile Connector chassis. Similar mounting products can be found on Amazon, Etsy and eBay.
Yes, I definitely will. There is one on Amazon that is exactly the same as the Tesla brand but doesn't have the logo on it. It's $8 less, and I've already ordered it. Should arrive in a couple days.

I garage fit the MY today. The rep brought a performance and it was way too fast for me. I was going about 100 mph just merging onto I95. I'll be getting the Long Range for sure.

Attachments

• 2021-04-06.jpeg
    2021-04-06.jpeg
    465 KB · Views: 68
  • 2021-04-06 (1).jpeg
    2021-04-06 (1).jpeg
    761.9 KB · Views: 57