Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What To Do While I Wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I definitely will. There is one on Amazon that is exactly the same as the Tesla brand but doesn't have the logo on it. It's $8 less, and I've already ordered it. Should arrive in a couple days.

I garage fit the MY today. The rep brought a performance and it was way too fast for me. I was going about 100 mph just merging onto I95. I'll be getting the Long Range for sure.
Good to know. I see that the hatch of the Performance Model Y (PMY) in the photo is set to just clear the open garage door. (The suspension of the PMY is 1.1 inch lower than the Long Range Model Y (LRMY.) You need to manually set the maximum opening height of the open hatch (should only need to be set once) by holding the hatch at the desired height and pressing and holding the hatch close button for 3 seconds (until you hear a beep.) Don't be that guy who opens the hatch to the preset height, then manually pushes the hatch all the way open because the garage door is down but a short time later forgets that the hatch is fully raised and opens the garage door. Just say'n. :rolleyes:

Good to know. I see that the hatch of the Performance Model Y (PMY) in the photo is set to just clear the open garage door. (The suspension of the PMY is 1.1 inch lower than the Long Range Model Y (LRMY.) You need to manually set the maximum opening height of the open hatch (should only need to be set once) by holding the hatch at the desired height and pressing and holding the hatch close button for 3 seconds (until you hear a beep.) Don't be that guy who opens the hatch to the preset height, then manually pushes the hatch all the way open because the garage door is down but a short time later forgets that the hatch is fully raised and opens the garage door. Just say'n. :rolleyes:
Good to know. Yeah I did play with setting the height on the demo car’s hatch in my garage. Looks like you need to set it at about 1.5 inches lower than you want it at because it overshoots by about an inch and then goes down. So after setting it, it hit the garage door, then went to the set spot.

• Helpful
Reactions: GeekyDoc
If I were you, I would consider putting PPF on the entire rear door. I did my rear lower doors right away back in the summer and ceramic coated it and put on mudflaps as soon as I could get them. I have never once been on gravel, I only drove on 1 snow/salt/sand covered highway one time this winter for about 150km at about 70kph with the mudflaps installed, the rear doors are annihilated. The lower plastic rocker piece is like someone hit it with 40 grit sandpaper, the lower PPF piece I had put on is no longer clear, it has been pulverized into a cloudy mess and the entire rear door all the way up above the PPF section is also beat. Its too late now for me so I will have to wait until its is time to repaint the rear doors but next time I would do a full rear door PPF, top to bottom. Even with the mudflaps (Tesla ones) I am still getting new chips and dings. I want to find a 5mm narrower offset wheel so I can get the tires further inside the wheel well and hope that helps. I think that lower plastic rocker panel could use a little "wing" on the top that sticks out a bit and helps deflect any road debris away from the paint.

Just bought my Tesla. Wondering if there is anything I need to do in the interim in order to fully prepare.

Already have payment and everything set up.
In addition to what I’ve seen others post:
1. Plan for how you’ll charge it at home and understand how much charge speed/amps you really need. The Teslatap charging guide is awesome. It answered 99% of my questions: Home Charging Wiring Guide – TeslaTap
2. Learn and understand how to calculate your efficiency and range. I.e., wh/mi. This will prevent you as a new owner (assume you’re a first time EV / Tesla owner, btw) to ask questions like ‘why am I not getting the 326 mile range’ type of questions. In short, you need around 245 wh/mi to achieve the EPA range...but know that EPA range is under perfect conditions (50mph, flat road, no headwinds, etc.). My experience (just like my previous ICE cars) is to expect 20% range than EPA in summer and 30% less in winter.
3. Get the Tesla mud flaps and PPF for the rear door. The salt/rocks/etc. the front tires kick up will chip the pain in the lower part of the rear doors.
4. Consider if you want all weather floor mats, trunk and frunk mats. The most popular are 3D Maxpider, Tesmanian, and Tesla OEM (Weathertec). I went with Tesmanian and have been very happy with them.
5. Consider if you want to purchase a center console bin/organizer. The main opening is rather large, it’s just a giant hole. There’s a ton out there for options. I ended up buying one on Amazon (that I stopped using after a couple of months) and replaced with one from Tesmanian (b/c it has a cutout for the light).
6. Understand how the car should be raised on a jack for tire removal, etc. There are specific jack points (it’s in the owners manual). One thing you may want to get are ‘jack pucks’ that plug into the hole of the frame so the jack can press up on the rubber pucks. Super cheap...like $15 on Amazon. You’ll also need this knowledge in case if you bring it to a tire shop that doesn’t know how to jack up a Tesla or the state inspection station.
7. Determine if you’ll need an extra Universal Mobile Connector (car comes with one and some ppl use that as their primary charger at home, I do) to keep in the car at all times...and with the right adapters (5-20, 14-50, etc.). The Teslatap site I linked above explains all of the adapter types.

That’s about it off the top of my head. Hope this helps!

Reactions: D_Kreezy
That is a HUGE waste of time...if you have any questions, no matter how insignificant or batty....just come here and ask away!!! You have 1000s of owners just DYING to show you how much THEY know!!!! Why ruin their day and do it yourself??? Are you a narcissist??
Where were you when I was always asking for help a few weeks ago?! I could buy FSD if I got $100 for every time someone on this site told me to read the manual... I never understood that, it took the same energy to tell me that rather than just giving me a short helpful answer. Then there’s people who just wanna troll.. I hate it.

Reactions: Mark2018s
Where were you when I was always asking for help a few weeks ago?! I could buy FSD if I got $100 for every time someone on this site told me to read the manual... I never understood that, it took the same energy to tell me that rather than just giving me a short helpful answer. Then there’s people who just wanna troll.. I hate it.
When seconds count, im just minutes away!!

I'm actually getting mine delivered next week! Was super quick turn around. They were able to find an inventory vehicle that matched my configuration
Wow, that is quick. Congrats!

After garage fitting the MY yesterday, and going out for another ride, I decided to put in my order today. I'll be delaying my trade-in and credit check until the summer unless any incentives like the Green Act pass before then. Figured I should at least lock in the pricing now, really no risk. My Tesla Advisor said no problem holding off delivery until July/August.

In addition to what I’ve seen others post:
1. Plan for how you’ll charge it at home and understand how much charge speed/amps you really need. The Teslatap charging guide is awesome. It answered 99% of my questions: Home Charging Wiring Guide – TeslaTap
2. Learn and understand how to calculate your efficiency and range. I.e., wh/mi. This will prevent you as a new owner (assume you’re a first time EV / Tesla owner, btw) to ask questions like ‘why am I not getting the 326 mile range’ type of questions. In short, you need around 245 wh/mi to achieve the EPA range...but know that EPA range is under perfect conditions (50mph, flat road, no headwinds, etc.). My experience (just like my previous ICE cars) is to expect 20% range than EPA in summer and 30% less in winter.
3. Get the Tesla mud flaps and PPF for the rear door. The salt/rocks/etc. the front tires kick up will chip the pain in the lower part of the rear doors.
4. Consider if you want all weather floor mats, trunk and frunk mats. The most popular are 3D Maxpider, Tesmanian, and Tesla OEM (Weathertec). I went with Tesmanian and have been very happy with them.
5. Consider if you want to purchase a center console bin/organizer. The main opening is rather large, it’s just a giant hole. There’s a ton out there for options. I ended up buying one on Amazon (that I stopped using after a couple of months) and replaced with one from Tesmanian (b/c it has a cutout for the light).
6. Understand how the car should be raised on a jack for tire removal, etc. There are specific jack points (it’s in the owners manual). One thing you may want to get are ‘jack pucks’ that plug into the hole of the frame so the jack can press up on the rubber pucks. Super cheap...like $15 on Amazon. You’ll also need this knowledge in case if you bring it to a tire shop that doesn’t know how to jack up a Tesla or the state inspection station.
7. Determine if you’ll need an extra Universal Mobile Connector (car comes with one and some ppl use that as their primary charger at home, I do) to keep in the car at all times...and with the right adapters (5-20, 14-50, etc.). The Teslatap site I linked above explains all of the adapter types.

That’s about it off the top of my head. Hope this helps!
THANK YOU! This is awesome!!

Reactions: Koolio46