TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What to do with an S that will be sitting unused for a month?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by carrerascott, Jan 11, 2013.

1. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

I'm expecting my new S in the next couple of months. We're taking a trip to Australia/New Zealand for the month of June. What is the best thing to do as far as charging while we're on the trip? Leave it plugged in? Unplug it? I could have my neighbor drive it occasionally. What would be best (or worst) for the battery? (It will be parked inside in our garage).

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Definitely leave it plugged in.

3. elecblue

elecblue Member

Singapore (for next 2 years) previously Chicago, I
    Yup - plugged in is right. The Model S should stay charged and batteries kept cool during that time.

4. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Any reason to have someone drive it every week or so? Or is it fine just plugged in and sitting there?

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

If you have a neighbor or relative you trust with the vehicle, consider trading "babysitting"/"test drive experience" for a favor of some kind down the road.

This car -- the model, not just your vehicle -- is still young. Consequently...

Something else I would consider -- since you said multiple months -- is to contact the service center or store near you to leave them a house key and one of your fobs so that they can access your vehicle should some issue (firmware or otherwise) arise.

6. UMD86

UMD86 Member

I believe there's a setting for "Vacation Mode" which will maintain the battery. Definitely keep it plugged in.

7. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

What are the guidelines time wise for vacation mode? How long before you should plug it in with vacation mode vs. just plug it in? What's the difference?

8. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Undercover, and plugged in.

9. Owner

Owner Active Member

On the Roadster it was called storage mode. It basically doesn't try to recharge your car. It just keeps it in a safe zone and not becoming a brick. I have done this many times on the Roadster. I think the battery is most happy when about 1/2 full. Ideally run it down to that level before storing it in vacation/storage mode.

I have a few posts on this in my blog with my experiences with battery draining.

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#10 dsm363, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
    Always plug your car when you will not be using it. There is no 'vacation' or storage mode on the Model S. your car will be fine plugged in. Once mobile app is released, you'll even be able to check in it in case something happened to your power.
    Having friends driver your car is not necessary. You could have them swing by your house once a month just to make sure your house is ok and that your car is ok if you wanted.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I think he means ...when...

Amusing auto-correct I presume.

12. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

It will just be 4 weeks -- I don't have the car yet, said I will HAVE it in a couple of months. I will just be gone for 4 weeks in June. Unless I can find a way to take it with me to Australia. ;)

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Ah, I misread. Mea culpa.

In case it helps, I left mine garaged alone for 3 weeks (plugged in). No issues, and had a firmware update prompt ready for me when I got back.

14. rick325

rick325 Member

I will happily borrow your car for 4 weeks...

15. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Yep. Autocorrect typo.

I'd say plug it in anytime you'll be leaving it for over a few hours if you are home. This gets you in the habit of plugging in each day so you are less likely to forget.

16. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

The other reason to have them swing by is to check for updates!

17. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

I left my car for about 16 days, just plugged in. When I got back the battery showed 230 rated miles (vs. normal 238-241 miles) and when I drove it, it showed the regen limiter. The limiter increased during the day, but didn't disappear until the next day, when everything was back to normal (and when I had upgraded to 4.1 - to thoroughly eliminate possibilities of any bug regression...).

18. Zapped

Zapped Model S - PURE EV

Vacation charge mode

Since this thread started we've had a few software versions.
    Any new recommendations on charge settings while on vacation ? ( amps, schedule, % limit )

19. deonb

deonb Active Member

Also Voltage? Is it better to leave it plugged in for an extended period on 110V or 220V?

20. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

I was traveling for three weeks. Left mine plugged into the HPWC and checked on charge status every few days with the iPhone App. Everything was perfect! I could see that the rated miles dropped a bit (less than 10 miles as I recall) over 18-30 hour period but the car charged itself sometime after that and returned to 235-240 miles.

The ability to check from anywhere in the world while traveling add amazing peace of mind. BIG WIN for Tesla!