Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do with phone? Mount?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you have two there?

It gives me a larger contact area and more flexibility on sticking the phone. And I didn't have another phone I wanted to mount.

I use both magnets that came with my mount (not the slimline, but the first one of the ones I posted on the first page) on my iPhone 6+ to give me a greater area to work with as well.

This is the one I use. Slimline Magnetic Phone holder - Abstract Ocean

The bonus is Abstract Ocean is a sponsor here.

My understanding is that the Slimline from Abstract Ocean uses sticky tape to attach the magnetic base to the car. I would like to eventually be able to remove the base without causing damage or leaving a sticky mess on the Obeche matte trim (e.g., when I sell the car). Do you think the base can be removed without causing damage or leaving sticky residue?

My understanding is that the Slimline from Abstract Ocean uses sticky tape to attach the magnetic base to the car. I would like to eventually be able to remove the base without causing damage or leaving a sticky mess on the Obeche matte trim (e.g., when I sell the car). Do you think the base can be removed without causing damage or leaving sticky residue?
It's 3M VHB. I removed it with floss and a fingernail and it didn't stain / damage the carbon fibre. I think Pete has said it it's easy to get off the other finishes as well.

I was asked for photos of the dual mounts with the iPad... here they are.

mount0.jpg

mount1.jpg

I use a tetrax geo mount on the vent to the left of the 17" console

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=X12W8LygAgQ[/video]

Hands down, best mounts are from proclipusa.com. I've been using them for years, upgrading each time I get a new phone or vehicle. Multiple mounting options for pretty much every vehicle out there and the most secure option you'll find. They seem built into the car and they're individually designed for each mounting spot on each vehicle.

+1 ProclipUSA.com

The one on the vent between the steering wheel and the touch screen.

I currently use the Tetrax Geo, almost exactly as pictured in yobigd20's video. (In fact, it was this video, and your recommendation, from another thread, that caused me to buy this, before I even had the car. Thanks!)

Because of the camera on my phone, etc., I had to put the metal piece more centered on the phone case, and the attachment on the vent then also had to be a little lower than in the video. The bottom line is that while I like this setup, I'm finding, particularly in the summer, that I'm not getting enough of the airflow from that vent.

The ProclipUSA option that would clip there looks very interesting to me, but I fear I'd have the same problem with lack of airflow. I'm wondering if the fact that there is some distance between the bracket and the vent minimizes that issue, and it is possible to get decent airflow to the driver from that vent with the ProclipUSA holder in place, or if I'd run into the same issue I'm experiencing now. What do those who use the ProclipUSA holders in that location think?

Thanks!

Andy, not directly related, but that very problem is why I didn't get a ProClip on the Tesla. We have a ProClip on the Honda Fit and I complain about the lack of airflow on the driver center vent every time I drive that car. The magnetic mount provided me an opportunity to mount elsewhere and I used a different mount (see first page) that suctions to my Oceche Gloss trim securely.

Andy, not directly related, but that very problem is why I didn't get a ProClip on the Tesla. We have a ProClip on the Honda Fit and I complain about the lack of airflow on the driver center vent every time I drive that car. The magnetic mount provided me an opportunity to mount elsewhere and I used a different mount (see first page) that suctions to my Oceche Gloss trim securely.

Thanks.

I saw that, and saw the picture in the other thread, and the poster who asked what you thought about whether or not the suction cup would adhere to obeche matte or not. I also have obeche matte. I don't like any of the options that involve a more permanent attachment of the base. I couldn't quite make out the brand from the picture. I searched Amazon for icleve and ideve, without any luck. What is the brand of your mount?

Thanks!

Edit: I think I found it:

iclever
Amazon.com: Car Mount, iClever® ICH04 Magnet CaptureFit Universal Windshield Accessories

So, Cyclone, I have a question for you...

Some of the reviews seem to indicate the iclever magnet may not be strong enough to hold some phones going over bumps, etc. I'd prefer not to remove the metal I've already attached to my phone case to use my Tetrax Geo, only to find that's a problem for me. Do the top parts of the iclever mount come off in such a way that you think I could use my Tetrax screw in vent clip, (pictured below) screwed to the arm somehow, and not use the magnet part of the iclever mount at all? Please let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Tetrax.jpg

Last edited: