Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do with phone? Mount?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alas, I wish I could tell you. The only clip I have is the one that mounts on the lower edge of the center display. I leave it in place all the time.
My best friend will be in town this weekend, and I'll give the vent clip he has a thorough review and see if I can answer your question after that.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Also, the holder that you attach to your center display clip is probably the same or similar to the holder that I'd attach to the vent clip. Would you say that holder could rotate far enough to be placed on the vent I'd like to place it on?

Finally, a question about your console clip...is there any padding or anything to protect it from damaging the trim around the console? From the pictures on the website, it was hard to tell, but it didn't look like there was.

Again, many thanks!

I'm back to considering the ProClip options.

Does the vent option, combined with a universal adjustable holder provide enough of an angling option such that I'd be able to use that on the passenger side vent, just to the right of the center console, instead of the driver's side vent to the left of it? I ask because while it would still block airflow there, I rarely drive with a passenger, and even then, assuming it's the cooling I'm concerned about, I'm likely to want it cooler than my passenger does, so having that one passenger vent somewhat blocked shouldn't be a problem.

Can someone who has this Proclip combination comment on whether or not this setup would work well?

Also, how easy is it to just remove the whole thing and pop it into the center console when I leave the car if I'd rather not have it cluttering up the dash when I'm not in the car? I know the two parts screw together, and that the part that clips onto the vents, well--clips onto the vents. I'm just wondering how easy it is to clip it on and off, and if repeated installation and removal would put any real wear and tear on the vents and/or on the Proclip unit.

Thanks!

Sorry I missed your message. I am 100% satisfied with the Proclip option. I actually ordered one for my wife's car (a Mini Cooper that will be replaced someday with a X or 3) and my mother's car. They have custom made bracket for virtually any car.

I let the pictures tell the story. But basically the two vents are not exactly the same shape so I doubt it works on the right (right of the touch screen) vent. Also during the install there is a small 3M two-sided tape that is used to ensure the holder doesn't move. I used it, so I can't really comment on if its removable and reinstall-able on a daily basis, but maybe if you don't use the small tape strip. It looks optional to me, but its been almost two years now. Its pretty well fitted there, it doesn't move at all even with some force applied.

I highly suggest that you simply get the same, its well placed. The vent still work, its just the airflow that is no longer directional, but you can still use the right vent towards you.

Hope this helps!

IMG_3951.JPG
IMG_3952.JPG

IMG_3954.JPG

More or less the actual view from the driver. I like this position, when using Waze. Its very visible and doesn't obstruct the view or the touch screen.
IMG_3956.JPG

Right vent has a different shape:
IMG_3957.JPG

This is the option for a phone without a case. I routed a charging cable myself in 10 min around the dashboard and down to the USB port between the seats.
IMG_3958.JPG

Sorry I missed your message. I am 100% satisfied with the Proclip option. I actually ordered one for my wife's car (a Mini Cooper that will be replaced someday with a X or 3) and my mother's car. They have custom made bracket for virtually any car.

I let the pictures tell the story. But basically the two vents are not exactly the same shape so I doubt it works on the right (right of the touch screen) vent. Also during the install there is a small 3M two-sided tape that is used to ensure the holder doesn't move. I used it, so I can't really comment on if its removable and reinstall-able on a daily basis, but maybe if you don't use the small tape strip. It looks optional to me, but its been almost two years now. Its pretty well fitted there, it doesn't move at all even with some force applied.

I highly suggest that you simply get the same, its well placed. The vent still work, its just the airflow that is no longer directional, but you can still use the right vent towards you.

Hope this helps!

Thanks very, VERY much for such a detailed post, and for all the pictures! That's an excellent point about the vent on the right side of the display not being the same shape as the one on the left side. I hadn't thought of that! I hope I would have either asked a Proclip rep about it on the phone, or noticed the difference before ordering, but I very well may not have done either, so that's really a big help!

I also like the position of the phone there, as that is almost exactly where my phone is now. The problem, of course, is the airflow problem. I'm finding that the airflow from the passenger side, and from the other driver's side vent really isn't enough for me much of the time.

I think I'll try to find out about whether or not the clip that would mount on the display also has that double sided tape or not, since I would definitely want to remove the holder at times, and also whether or not there is anything to protect the metal trim. Depending on the answers, I may go that route, though I do like the higher position better.

Another option might be to see if Proclip has some sort of a more "universal" vent mount that I might be able to use on the vent on the passenger side.

I do really appreciate all your assistance! Thanks again!

Alas, I wish I could tell you. The only clip I have is the one that mounts on the lower edge of the center display. I leave it in place all the time.
My best friend will be in town this weekend, and I'll give the vent clip he has a thorough review and see if I can answer your question after that.

Actually no need now, as I have ruled out the vent mount options. The closer vent would have the same issue I have now with respect to blocking airflow, and the other vent is not an option because it is shaped differently.

I am now considering the exact same setup you have, (with the "move clips" added as well, which would allow me to put away half the system when not in use, leaving only the "Angled Mount" and the "move clip" attached and visible all the time.) The really big question I have for you, and also for slevit1md, who also uses this mount (post excerpt below) is how comfortable are you that the metal trim around your 17" display is not in any way being scratched, bent, or dented? I did call Proclip, and they said there was no padding or anything, so it is (as you know) just that hard ABS plastic coming in direct contact with the aluminum (or whatever it is) trim. As I mentioned earlier, I've already experienced how fragile that trim must be, as it was slightly damaged by an installer. Ironically, I'm having that replaced next week, when my car will be in for its annual service, since I'm also getting the LTE upgrade at that time, and there won't be any additional labor charge to have it done then. So the last thing I want to do is scratch or dent this brand new piece that I'm having installed to replace the slightly damaged piece I have now. Had I timed things better, I could have tried the mount on the piece that is going to be replaced, but that's not going to work, and I live too far from a service center to delay the LTE upgrade.

If either of you (AndyM, slevit1md) think that there is even a small chance that this system could scratch or dent that metal trim, I'd probably just pass on this system, and make do with what I have now. So I'm really interested in your thoughts.

Thanks very much!

I use the one that goes on the bottom right of the touch screen. Love it.

Edit: By the way, one of the other things I learned on my call is that "SAVETEN" is a discount code good for ten percent off at Proclip.

Last edited:
I use, and would highly recommend, the clip that mounts to the trim in the lower right corner of the display. I have used proclip on several vehicles and never had any concern that the way they clip in would in any way damage the trim. Each clip is made to fit perfectly on whatever vehicle and location it's designed for, so they fit snug with no need for excessive force to install. They're not really meant to be something that you'd install and remove every time you get out of the car, so I can't speak to what that would do. They're more of a semi-permanent install.

My car is currently in for service but when it gets back (hopefully in the next day or so), I can take close up pictures of it.

I decided to try this in the vent on the right side of the 17 inch display:

Amazon.com: Wyvern Clip Car/air Vent Holder Mount Portable Bracket for Smartphone [Iphone6 Plus/6/5s/5c/5/4s/4 Sony Xperia Samsung Galaxy Note GPS Etc] Holding Length From 50mm to 75mm [1.96 Accessories

It came today, I put it together and set it up in the loaner that I now have. It might work OK, but it feels really cheaply made, and it definitely feels like it would move around some.

So I decided to see if I might be able to find something with a similar design, but made with better quality materials. In my search, I stumbled upon cup holder mount phone mounts. I did not know such things existed. I have the center console, so one of those could work, and also might be able to be hidden away in the center console when not in use.

I ordered this one:

Amazon.com: G-Cord® Flexible Extra Long Arm Cup Holder Mount for iPhone and other Smartphones: Cell Phones Accessories

Perhaps this will work for me.

Hey Andyw2100,

I read earlier you would prefer holders that are less permanent than the slimline I have. Do you have a more specific concern about them? The slimline I have hasn't been hard to remove when needed and it seems like the 3M can be used a few times. I love how the ProClip mounts in the photos above, but it is so low in the car for me it doesn't seem like it would be as usable.

I ask just because it has been a really great mount, puts it in a great location, I've never had a device fall off, and it gives you a lot of flexibility in devices that can attach. I even use it for my GoPro.

Hey Andyw2100,

I read earlier you would prefer holders that are less permanent than the slimline I have. Do you have a more specific concern about them? The slimline I have hasn't been hard to remove when needed and it seems like the 3M can be used a few times. I love how the ProClip mounts in the photos above, but it is so low in the car for me it doesn't seem like it would be as usable.

I ask just because it has been a really great mount, puts it in a great location, I've never had a device fall off, and it gives you a lot of flexibility in devices that can attach. I even use it for my GoPro.

My main concern is I just don't like the idea of "glueing" anything to the obeche matte. I understand that with dental floss the part that's attached there should come off easily, with no sign that it was ever there, but something about it just bothers me. I also would prefer to be able to "put away" whatever I'm using, so that there is literally no sign of it at all when it's not in use.

If I were going to go the route of semi-permanently attaching something with adhesive, I could just mount a Tetrax fixed mount the same way, as I already have the Tetrax metal piece on my phone case, and I'd still have the flexibility of using the vent mount clips in other cars. (My wife still drives the Model S much more than I do.)

I'm really optimistic the cup holder mount I just ordered may meet all my requirements. It looks like it should be able to hold the phone in about the position I'd like it, and it also looks like it should be pretty easy to stow away in the center console when it's not in use.

I do generally like Pete's (Abstract Ocean's) products. I've bought a number of them, and will be purchasing his LED trunk/frunk/etc. light replacements when they are available too. This particular one, though, just isn't for me.

I do appreciate your trying to enlighten me more, though, in case I could make it work. Thanks!

My main concern is I just don't like the idea of "glueing" anything to the obeche matte. I understand that with dental floss the part that's attached there should come off easily, with no sign that it was ever there, but something about it just bothers me. I also would prefer to be able to "put away" whatever I'm using, so that there is literally no sign of it at all when it's not in use.

If I were going to go the route of semi-permanently attaching something with adhesive, I could just mount a Tetrax fixed mount the same way, as I already have the Tetrax metal piece on my phone case, and I'd still have the flexibility of using the vent mount clips in other cars. (My wife still drives the Model S much more than I do.)

I'm really optimistic the cup holder mount I just ordered may meet all my requirements. It looks like it should be able to hold the phone in about the position I'd like it, and it also looks like it should be pretty easy to stow away in the center console when it's not in use.

I do generally like Pete's (Abstract Ocean's) products. I've bought a number of them, and will be purchasing his LED trunk/frunk/etc. light replacements when they are available too. This particular one, though, just isn't for me.

I do appreciate your trying to enlighten me more, though, in case I could make it work. Thanks!

Thanks for clarifying Andy!

I feel like I got really lucky finding a mount that gave me exactly what I needed right away. I too was initially concerned with the attachment part and had the concern go away, but I totally understand all of your reasons for looking for an alternative. If I happen to see something that looks interesting I'll let you know, but hopefully you find something by then and without having to try too many more.

As I wrote that I found this.
Goldenwide® 360-degree Rotating Universal Flexible Long Arms Mobile Phone Holder

I just ordered one and I'll let you know what I think. I think it would hold well attached to the cubby, but also looks like it could attach to other places. What made me buy it is that in the picture below you can see a metal ball that would be usable if you rip the clip off the end. I'm thinking the disc for the slimline might attach to it (based on the size). Then I have even more options for my phone or tablet. I've always really disliked the holders that have clips or have bulk around the phone and I'm hoping this works with the slimline.

51oU+DDm9vL.jpg

81-AaHXkymL._SL1500_.jpg

As I wrote that I found this.
Goldenwide® 360-degree Rotating Universal Flexible Long Arms Mobile Phone Holder

I just ordered one and I'll let you know what I think. I think it would hold well attached to the cubby, but also looks like it could attach to other places. What made me buy it is that in the picture below you can see a metal ball that would be usable if you rip the clip off the end. I'm thinking the disc for the slimline might attach to it (based on the size). Then I have even more options for my phone or tablet. I've always really disliked the holders that have clips or have bulk around the phone and I'm hoping this works with the slimline.

Thanks!

I just added that to my Amazon "wishlist" which is what I use to keep track of things I might want to come back to and buy later. That definitely has potential. I could possibly attach it to a visor, as pictured, or perhaps to some part of the center console. (The cubby might be tough because of the center console.)

I'm hoping the cup holder mount I ordered will do the trick, but if it doesn't, this is likely to be the next thing I try, depending, of course, on what you have to say about it.

Also, when I get the cup holder one, I'll let you know if it looks like it would come apart in such a way that you could mount a slimline metal mount on the end of the snaky part, or if that end is pretty much fixed in place, or the wrong size, etc.

Thanks again!

depending, of course, on what you have to say about it.

It just arrived and I think it has some potential. The slimline attachment does fit on it and stick, but the ball is a little small so I'm not sure yet what it will handle. The arm is really rigid and long, and while it will hold the phone I can see it wiggling around under acceleration.

Mounting works from the visor and from the cubby. However with the cubby you do need to turn it downwards and rotate the arm up because of clearance with with the touchsceeen. It does put the device at a really good height. I'll take pictures and post them as soon as I can.

It just arrived and I think it has some potential. The slimline attachment does fit on it and stick, but the ball is a little small so I'm not sure yet what it will handle. The arm is really rigid and long, and while it will hold the phone I can see it wiggling around under acceleration.

Mounting works from the visor and from the cubby. However with the cubby you do need to turn it downwards and rotate the arm up because of clearance with with the touchsceeen. It does put the device at a really good height. I'll take pictures and post them as soon as I can.

Sounds good! I'll look forward to seeing the pictures, but no rush at all. Thanks!

The two mounts I've been eyeing are these two...

Neutron S - Love it for it's discreet looks - Picture - though I have concerns about it's strength - it's rated to support up to 1lb. (my iPhone 6 Plus w/ case come in at about 7 oz.) - strength seems promising based off this video, though they only tested it with the metal piece on the outside of the case. I doubt it will support up to 1 lb. with the disc inside the case.

Car charger mount - Ideal solution without having to adhere anything to the dash - though the phone's location would end up lower than I'd like it - would rather not have to look down in the console space to get a glance at Waze, txts, notifications, etc.

Car charger mount - Ideal solution without having to adhere anything to the dash - though the phone's location would end up lower than I'd like it - would rather not have to look down in the console space to get a glance at Waze, txts, notifications, etc.

Just a note for anyone considering that car charger mount, who also has the center console...

This may be obvious, but even if the long part of that mount detaches somehow, the adapter itself is too long to fit in the 12V adapter and still allow the console cover to close. We need a low profile 12V adapter to allow the door to close properly.

Sounds good! I'll look forward to seeing the pictures, but no rush at all. Thanks!

I take it back about the potential. I'll probably use it in the house somewhere, but in the car I think it might be bad.

It will clip onto the cubby and the visor like I said. However, the cubby flexes a little, and with the visor it starts to fold down with the weight. Maybe putting it on the window side of the visor would work better, but I think with a phone it's just a lot of weight. The clip is also really strong so I'd worry about damaging the center console or the leather around the yacht flooring by clipping it to either.

With the weight of the phone it also wobbles around a lot.